• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

What do your DIsney trade books look like?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What do your DIsney trade books look like?

LeisaV

New DPF Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm trying to prepare a book for my first event and I saw some on eBay but I'm not sure if that's what I'm looking for. What's your favorite way to display? Give me photos!

I'd be curious to see what folks recommend as well. The Love is an Adventure event will be my first pin trading event and I'm trying to decide what need. I found some unique options on Etsy and Ebay but would like to hear what folks here have to say.

My bags are packed up right now, so no photos right now (maybe later)...but I can give you a break-down as to how I do it?

The first thing I do is consider my rarities. I feel bad telling people "no" when they fall in love with one of my rare pins when I'm looking at an easy-to-moderate pin, so I tend to break it down into three categories- easy, medium, and hard (and sometimes the hard pins have a grail level mini book). That way, I can eliminate having to pull out whole books if I'm looking at something easy (like mystery set pins). Easy is usually OE, mystery pins, and easy LEs. Medium is harder or older LEs. Hard are anything that's increased in value in a major way or is rare in some way...things that could help me get my grails, really.

The next thing I consider is my quantities. If I have enough of a character or theme, I give them their own books/binders. I have 2 Duffy (and gang) books, and a few Jessica books, as well. I do the same with mystery set pins. I have enough of those that I have an easy book of nothing but mystery set pins.

Once I have those in their own books, I take the remainders and do those books by character or theme. So in my general easy book, one page will be Stitch, one page will be Princesses, one page might share Pixar and general Disney movies, and so on and so on.

Jumbos are harder to deal with. Sometimes I just put them in my bags, and sometimes I have a separate bag for them.

So to give you an idea, my current bags are:

-Mystery pins (by mystery set)
-Foreign pins- easy
-Foreign pins- harder
-2 Duffy binders
-2 Jessica binders
-WDI- hard bag
-Holiday binder- Medium
-Easy bag (by character)
-Medium (by character)
-Hard (by character)
-Grail Mini Bag

That's usually too many for me to handle on my own, so I pick and choose what to take with me. I often leave Duffy and Jessica behind because they're so specific. Especially since Disney has cracked down on the luggage type/restrictions. Now I can usually get 6 bags in.

Some people sort all their bags/binders by origin of the pin release (like DSF, WDI, Paris, etc). I like that way of doing it, too.

Oh, and I realized that you were looking for bag types...LOL.

I use some large, zip-up soft binders for the things I keep the on-card pins in. Case Logic has some that are good. I like the zip up because there's less chance of things falling out, and keeps everything from poking out and nice and neat.

For the Disney bags, I prefer the old style bags...soft material, no vinyl. I like the medium to large sizes. I'm not sure I can help you with where to get them...I've accumulated them over the years from the outlets and flea markets and SALSA sales. Most of the ones I like are retired, anyway. The vinyl ones and I don't get along...

So I keep almost a 50/50 split of binders and soft bags.

How do you keep your pins in the cases/binders? Do you pin them, and if so, what material do you use? And what do you use for displaying pins still on the cards?
Thanks for the insights.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

The docfish party was the first pin trading event that I went to, so I'll just share what I saw from other people.

- Big pin bags (like the ones Disney sells) stuffed with corroplastic sheets (but they were.. ok) or cork sheets. Then you can just pin the pins in directly instead of having to dig inside the flap to get the mickey back

- binders with the plastic card holding sheets. Basically, you could put your pins with their backing cards AND pin them through the back of the plastic sheet. Otherwise, they'll keep falling out (mine did; luckily, ppl returned my fallen pins). Also, if you don't have backing cards, you can just put multiple into the pockets and also pin through the back of the sheet.

I'd also suggest that you carry a small bag of mickey backs in case you go with the former option, so you can just dig one out when you take your pin out for trade.

How do you keep your pins in the cases/binders? Do you pin them, and if so, what material do you use? And what do you use for displaying pins still on the cards?
Thanks for the insights.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

People use the trading card sleeves! You just take the pin back off, slip the whole thing, push the pin point through, and then put the mickey backer on. They make a size for each of them. Normal pin cards fit in the 9-card sleeves. Disney Auctions and Shopping.com backers fit in the 3-card sleeves. I like the 4-card sleeves for the slightly over-sized cards, like WDI.

I usually go with medium grade pages by Ultra Pro. If you pick the off-brand or cheaper versions, the pins can be too heavy for the pages. The heavy grade can be too thick, and it makes it too tight to get the pins in and out of, and a lot of the heavy grade sleeves aren't acid-free. I'm not sure if that would affect pins like it would a collectible card, but I prefer not to take the chance.

Amazon also has them.

My pins with cards are in case logic zipper binders. 9 card/page sleeves fit most. Then I get some 4 per page (photo pages I think) for pins with large cards.

My "non-card" pins are in the disney style bags. I have either cork or coroplast inside the zippered area.

Also, guitar picks are your friend for getting pins out of coroplast (and sometimes cork).

Where do you purchase the plastic sleeves? Is there a website that sells them?

As the others have said, your local comic book store might sell some of them, especially the 9-card sleeves. Your best bet for the ones that aren't as mainstream, like the 3-card sleeves, are either your local sports card shop, or online.

When I can't find them locally, I like buying them on eBay, because they sell them in small bundles, and I don't have to buy a case of 100 that way.

I've seen them at WalMart for the 9-card slotted ones. Location, you ask? Err, I'm not sure as our local WalMart seems to find it funny to rearrange everything once a week and not bother to label the aisles correctly. I'd suggest looking in office supplies first; the photo album aisle (you can also find 4x6 sleeves for larger backer cards, and even 5x7 for DA and DS backer cards); the toy aisle (some stores still have baseball cards and supplies here); and/or wherever they still house Pokemon type of cards and merchandise.

Office supply stores also sell the plastic pages -think Staples or Office Depot/Max, however price-wise this may not be preferred. Hobby Lobby and Michaels also sell the plastic sleeves and I've even bought them at Hallmark.

They're also available at Target in the sports trading card area. The difference is they're thin and flimsy. I'm guessing at comic/trading card stores there's different choices for thickness to hold the pins on cards.

I use Case-It binders for the pins on cards and a Disney pin bag for the loose pins. The Ultra-pro binder sleeves are nice and fairly durable, and cheap enough that you don't mid replacing them when they get worn. In an emergency I bought cheap card sleeves and they were a disaster. The holes ripped out and the pages dangle out of the book. As for organizing, I collect holidays so have one book arranged in chronological order starting with X-Mas going through Thanksgiving. Another book has mostly event pins and other low LE pins I have acquired over the years and the last is a collection of Cruise line, DVC, Passholder and D23. I am trying to confine myself to just three binders. If you are not too careful, the pins seem to multiply on their own and before you know it you need a shopping cart to get around.

Not my original idea, but passing it along....
I reinforced the holes for the individual pages, by putting a piece of duct tape along the hole-edge. (I found pretty colors, and even one with Mickey~!) Then I bought a heavy duty hole punch, to re-punch the holes thru the duct tape. My pages are secure and I've only had one hole tear, and that was because a hole was punched too close to the edge. Easy fix, as I was able to take a small piece of duct tape and repair and re-punch.

I reinforced the holes for the individual pages, by putting a piece of duct tape along the hole-edge. (I found pretty colors, and even one with Mickey~!) Then I bought a heavy duty hole punch, to re-punch the holes thru the duct tape. My pages are secure and I've only had one hole tear, and that was because a hole was punched too close to the edge. Easy fix, as I was able to take a small piece of duct tape and repair and re-punch.

Huh. That's a good idea. I betcha those punch-hole re-enforcers they use for regular papers would work, too (you know, the little colored circles at office supply stores). As long as they stick to the plastic...they might not.

Pictures! Pictures! Pictures!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Do the pin books Disney sells have both pages to stick pins in and slots for the plastic sleeves or do you have to create separate books for those?

I've only ever bought one binder from them, and if I remember correctly, they came with a few of each. But I didn't like the heavy grade sleeves they provided, so I ended up using my own anyway.

Since I started out a long time ago, when people used the "new" Disney Pin Bags, I keep all my Trading pins in 2 bags. For the cards, I put a small paper square behind the pin before pinning to page (to remind me I have a card for that pin) and keep the cards in the bottom zipper pocket. Seems to have worked for the past 15 years. :)

I much prefer books to bags -- they're less portable but easier for people to flip through. I bought a wide binder off of eBay that has thick velvet numbered pages (with spaces for about 100 pins, more if you crowd them a little) and sturdy plastic sleeves. It's not as stiff as cardboard, but keeps the pins secure without wobbling around. I like to arrange my books by characters (princesses, animals, Disney parks, PTDs, and fantasy pins) so that people who are looking for a certain character can find all the relevant pins in one place. :) I also bought a separate case from eBay that has two rubbery sides you can stick pins in, with a cloth in the middle to protect them. I use that to store all the pins I've traded for during an event, so that they don't get mixed in with the rest.

I use zippable binders with handles/straps and trading card pockets for my trade pins (9-pocket pages for most pins, 4-pocket pages for pins with larger backer cards like marquees, and 2-pocket pages for really big backer cards like DMC cards and DA pins). I sort mine by type:

~ PTDs
~ Other DSF
~ WDI
~ International (DLP, DLHK, etc.)
~ LE
~ LR
~ Older/more HTF OE
~ basic easy traders (current OE, booster pack, etc.)

Most pins I stick the pinback through the back of the card pocket, which locks the pin into place. If I have a higher-end pin, like WDI, though, I'll keep it sealed and tape the opening of the card pocket. I also keep the backer card with the pin, unless I got it without one; in that case I'll use paint sample cards (free to grab from stores that have a paint department) to make the pocket a bit more sturdy and also give some contrast color to make the pin easier to see.

I have two zippable bags for my traders, er well one is more of a collection but is phasing into a trader book. (That one is my "hidden Mickey" book organized by type and year, and the other is organized by characters, locations, and sets.) I also have a smaller zipper book where I keep my artist proof pins, and am hoping to get a book to put just LE's in :) (sorry for the cropped photos, it's hard to put 10+ years of collecting into a photo collage)

ea72b6bc7442684d3122caf5c80ff7aa.jpg
15f279a131981d2ad90dade8c6f7c005.jpg
3a507dd4fa3110422dccd8cc6e3d65bc.jpg
1d631064cc0849bc124942ab5f7ea5a3.jpg

Last edited:
Keep in mind, the only problem with using cork or plastic, or what have you instead of securing your pins with Mickey backs, is that they can fall out easily, or be taken out when you're not looking. After a long day trading, especially if it gets warm, I have noticed these materials "loosen" up, which makes the pins a lot more prone to falling out. Someone with a good slight of hand, who's looking at your books can easily palm a pin while you're distracted at an event. Just my two cents.

I was at Disneyland this weekend and both Westward Ho Trading and Julius Katz were sold out of pin books! The only place I found one was at the Disneyland Hotel gift shop and it was a large NBC bag and I'm not a fan of NBC. I found one seller on Etsy that has the cork pages that I may try. Has anyone bought from here or tried this style book?

https://www.etsy.com/listing/459857562/pinfolio-20-unique-disney-pin-trading

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back