• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

Why are all our "grails" so expensive?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why are all our "grails" so expensive?

starry_solo

Judge of the Dark Court
Staff member
DPF Administrator
Rating - 100%
541   0   0
Just wondering why they are all so darn expensive! :p

Discuss.

funny you say that because when i opened my eyes to the bigger picture of pins i said the same thing. all the ones i thought that were cool are pricey. it makes my head numb! lol

cuz they are grail's. if they were easy pins to buy or trade, they wouldn't be a grail. :)

Some "grails" are harder, more expensive or more rare than others....

AND some "grails" are on the holy grail list of many many people, which bumps up demand, which bumps up price.

I can't wait to see all the replies on this topic! ^_^

As for me, the last time I saw (and missed! :() my holy, holy, HOLY grail on eBay it was around $280... *weeps* At LE 50 and from a framed set, maybe I'll acquire it in the next 10 years or so... or maybe not! :lol: ;)

I guess the prettiest pins are also the most expensive and rare (e.g. Sleeping Beauty Gomes, Rapunzel R/C, Sprite Gomes, to name a few ;))... but there are a lot of nice rack pins that are just as beautiful! :) (Paris pins, I am looking at you LOL!) :) I think it's the thrill of the chase that makes a grail! ;)

because the low le pins of super popular characters feature in many peoples lists. and EVERYONE knows that if we really want something. we WILL pay

Most of my grails aren't expensive when I can find them, they are just difficult to find mainly because almost all my current ones are Japan and HK pins.

I can't wait to see all the replies on this topic! ^_^

As for me, the last time I saw (and missed! :() my holy, holy, HOLY grail on eBay it was around $280... *weeps* At LE 50 and from a framed set, maybe I'll acquire it in the next 10 years or so... or maybe not! :lol: ;)

I guess the prettiest pins are also the most expensive and rare (e.g. Sleeping Beauty Gomes, Rapunzel R/C, Sprite Gomes, to name a few ;))... but there are a lot of nice rack pins that are just as beautiful! :) (Paris pins, I am looking at you LOL!) :) I think it's the thrill of the chase that makes a grail! ;)

I know :( I searched for that pin the day before it was listed and then the day after it closed - I soooo would have picked it up for you if I had seen it in time ;)

So far I've been able to get my grail pins for anywhere between 15-60 dollars. Which isn't bad. While I do like some pins in the 200-500 range, I've been lucky enough that most of my favorite pins are under $100. Most of my grails thankfully are not the really popular pins that everyone and their mother wants.

My last 4 pins are not highly wanted not even over 50 some not even over 40 wanting but just 2-4 trading on each of them yet the traders dont respond to any trade request have no email listed. Yet I got one of the experiment pins for $13 from the same series and yet the others I need are looking at $125 each and thats just 2 of the ones I have seen on ebay, the other 2 I have not seen so could end up being more.. *HEAVY SIGH*

I know :( I searched for that pin the day before it was listed and then the day after it closed - I soooo would have picked it up for you if I had seen it in time ;)

LOL! Oh no, how unfortunate! But hey, I check for Jasmine pins every day on eBay and I missed it! :facepalm: I think it was blocked for eBayers outside the USA... it's the thought that counts, though, thanks for thinking of me! :) If I ever got this pin, I'd sew special pockets in all of my clothes and carry it with me everywhere... :roll: *creepy* :rofl:

I'd still be paying off the cost of this pin if I did acquire it! :lol: 2 weeks or so ago, someone listed it (as part of the full framed set) in their trades... I died, emailed them offering all my PODMs and they said it was an accidental listing... :facepalm: Maybe one day! :drool:

Sorry for kinda hijacking your thread, OP! :angel:

Mostly I've decided the god of pin trading hates me.

Seriously, I find the issue to be that they're old, low edition pins and they've found homes in people's collections. When they do come up, people want a mint for them. Which I get, seeing some of the pins. And again, the supply & demand bit. But sometimes luck is involved. I watched one of my grails go for $35 this year (the lady & the tramp anniversary pin with the hat box) and I missed it. *shrug*

But yeah, they wouldn't be grails if they were easy to find.

Last edited:
I made myself mad, I looked on ebay and thought oh one one my grails sold for $100...actually clicked on it and said sold $30.....*goes to set up ebay so it tells me when something remotely new is listed*

For me its not even a matter of money, its a matter of finding it! My holy grail right now is the WDI D23 Cozy Cone Motel Pin from Carsland....I can't even find it to buy it!

My grails are expensive because I have expensive tastes. My HOLIEST of holy grails (the one that I'd would put in my safe deposit box) is the Mary Poppins Swarovski (sp?) umbrella. I'll never get that, because I'm poor LOL

My other grails are simply hard to come by or in high demand/peak pricing (ie Designer Villains)

I don't even know how much my grails are. The Pixar Studio store Merida/Bear pin I've only seen for sale a few times, and it was in the $100 or so range. I was offered it for retail, though, but of course the person dropped off the face of the planet! :facepalm: So those are the two prices I have to go off of.
My other holy grail is the Mulan and Fa Zhou pin in my signature, which I've only seen on eBay once for about $45. That is a little more "affordable," but I haven't seen it for sale since!
And then there is the lovely UK (thank you Stitch2814!) Gaston pin in my signature. I see it on eBay for about $100, give or take $5. Not the most expensive of pins, but still quite a sum for a beginner such as myself!
Then again, I haven't been collecting all too long, so hopefully I will find them in time!

Last edited:
Just an fyi the gaston pin is from UK disneystore and was online exclusive not from paris XD dont take the credit from the UK lolol we have to make some good pins hahaha

It's funny that this topic came up today because I was just sitting here thinking how expensive all the pins I like are!! I've only ever bought pins my son liked, never really focused on me except for this past trip, we came home and we were putting his pins on his pin board (got that idea from here :) ) and I thought it's time I start collecting. So yesterday I set up my pin pics account,started adding pins I liked and decided to look on ebay for some pins to get me started and I almost fell off the computer chair!! I realize I totally missed the PODMs but seriously I will go broke trying to collect some of these!! :) But I'm not getting discouraged some of these pins are too beautiful I see how it is easy to get hooked!!!

Don't give up hope! 40105 was one of my grails and I ended up getting it for $30 about a month ago. I got the Jumbo Leo LE300 for $40 today...no more shopping for me for a bit!!! But, I will let you know if I see another of the stampede pin pop up! :)

I have no idea how much my grail is xD I've never ever seen it for sale anywhere so who knows :3

Yes, psychopixie is right. Because it is a grail.

But my only real considerable pin that i would consider a grail is my grand floridian black. It is not an expensive pin, the only problem is that i cannot find it anywhere!
not on the Bay or anywhere else in 12 years. When it does pop up some day it will probably not sell for more than $30

so not all grails are expensive.

if it was easier to attain you may not love it as much as you would after spending years trying to get it.

Happy new year

Kirk

When I was making my Grails list, I was simply picking out all of the pins I liked best. :p It's not my fault that the best pins ended up being older, low LE pins that everyone else likes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back