• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

WTF? September pin event changes based on Guest Feedback?

Status
Not open for further replies.
WTF? September pin event changes based on Guest Feedback?

Carmello1123

New DPF Member
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
OK fess up people! who said you only wanted to bring 1 book into the venue visit the boards a few times and DID NOT want to trade for pin board pins with fellow guests? where did they find these people to give this feedback? people who trade all day on the boards and people who spend the whole event in "the trading pit" are generally 2 different types of traders (with some overlap) I am truly stunned at these changes AND vinyl traders are completely dissed! I am not one but still sheesh! way to suck the fun out of what I look forward to all year! Thanks Disney pin team! What do you think? Janet

OK fess up people! who said you only wanted to bring 1 book into the venue visit the boards a few times and DID NOT want to trade for pin board pins with fellow guests? where did they find these people to give this feedback? people who trade all day on the boards and people who spend the whole event in "the trading pit" are generally 2 different types of traders (with some overlap) I am truly stunned at these changes AND vinyl traders are completely dissed! I am not one but still sheesh! way to suck the fun out of what I look forward to all year! Thanks Disney pin team! What do you think? Janet

Source, please? I'd love to send them a long note about this.

Well, the only suggestion I made (which I make every year to deaf Mickey ears) is to limit the number of chairs in the back room to one side per table. It gets incredibly crowded and is very difficult to walk past all of those empty chairs...

Hey Janet, Was this posted somewhere?? This would be a HUGE changed....we'd think twice about going to the events. We spend all day trading on the boards....we're addicted...not to mention all the awesome people we've met waiting in line! Helping each other find the event pins from the boards would be missed, too! Debbie

Last edited:
Okay, it doesn't seem that bad, but limiting the number of times one can go to the pin board is awful. My only complaint was that they were basically very randomly switching out the boards every 45 minutes or hour and 15 minutes. I kept getting into 45 minutes lines and kept having the board switch right after I went up all day Saturday. Got into a longer line, got it switched right after I went.

I feel really bad for the hardcore vinylmation traders though.

From ODPT site whenyou click on details: GenEARation D Pin Trading Event – Save the Date! September 11 - September 12 World Show Place, Epcot® Add to Your Calendar GenEARationD_logo Save the Date! Please plan to join for the GenEARation D Pin Trading Event on Sept. 11-12, 2015 at World ShowPlace in Epcot®! As Disney fans, we all can remember the first time we were introduced to Disney – and what made us connect to the magic – whether through movies, stories, music, television, theme parks or beyond. GenEARation D is a chance to pay homage to the key moments in Disney history that made an impact on the lives of Disney fans, both young and young at heart. The content for the 2015 event will span the decades from 1901 to today. Registration for this year’s pin trading event will take place on April 22, 2015. _____________________________________ We are committed to providing a great experience for all our attendees and have been listening to your feedback. As a result, we have made some changes to our annual event for 2015. Please read below for details and continue to watch the Disney Parks Blog for additional registration and event information. ~ Things to Know Before You Register ~ To ensure that all attendees have equal access to the trading boards, we will provide each GenEARation D Trading Event attendee with vouchers to use for the trading board experience. Guests will have the opportunity to trade at the boards a designated number of times during the two-day event. To make sure that all attendees receive the event-exclusive pins previously found on event trading boards, each participant will receive a commemorative gift pin set created specifically for the event. These will be distributed upon check-in/registration at the event. Because of space limitations, each attendee may bring one trading bag up to 24†x 15†x 18†(61cm x 38cm x 46cm) in size. It is also noteworthy that Walt Disney World Resort has updated park rules regarding items that may be brought into the theme parks. Please carefully review the list of prohibited items and other park rules at https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/park-rules. The GenEARation D event will focus primarily on Disney Pin Trading. While you are welcome to bring Vinylmation™ figures to trade with other Guests, we will not be offering Vinylmation™ trading activities or selling Vinylmation™ figures at the event. Thank you for your continued interest in Disney Pin Trading. We look forward to seeing you at GenEARation D

Last edited:
My guess is these stem from a couple of complaints....
1. People taking up 5 tables in the back room (for themselves and friends). One book limits how much space they take up.
2. People go on Sat only and complain the board pins are gone. So they just give you the pins now, but that replaces the free gifts, so this is actually a loss of pins.
3. People complained about the long waits in line for the boards. So if you only give people a set number of trips, then eventually the lines shorten.

They probably mean well, but they clearly do not understand traders. They take away the PTNs and they they ruin the single trading event.

People always complain the pin lines are too long. But what people want is more boards, not limit trips.

Do you know how many people I saw hogging the event pins from the boards? We are talking a bulletin board full. When I asked to trade for one for the other that I did not have I was told sorry we are collecting for 15 friends plus our family. I asked, you were sponsored 15 times! Nope just for our friends that couldn't afford to come. REALLY! Isn't the event pins for attending event guests?!?!
No I did not complain and I'm glad I'm not going anymore. :)

I can see what they are trying to do (whether I agree is another point)

1) lines at boards- Think about it in time- each board line is usually 60-70 min long each time you go (45 if you are lucky) so in an 8.5 hour event if you ONLY do boards you are trading a max of 8 times we'll say 7 to account for potty breaks etc so 14 in 2 days. So not necessarily 'unlimited' unless you are cheating the system (and we ALL know people do) So if they gave each person 5-6 vouchers (I think we had 6 in DLR for the one day event) a day- AND you could get through the lines quicker (say 15-30 min a line) you in essance would have much more time to trade

2- bags- Realize that when they mean bag they mean a CARRY ON sized bag- not one single trading bag. For most people thats more than plenty and only those who bring shopping carts, suitcases, strollers and wagons will be impacted... Is that really a BAD thing to limit?

As for the event pins as gifts vs on the boards- if that is an addition to the usual gift I'm fine with that if its instead.. thats a different story but being able to search for APs vs just pulling the event pins etc it may be a nice change...

-em

1. I like the ideal of vouchers for the boards. I for one get tired of everyone in line giving you a dirty look if you step out for a moment to run to the restroom or heaven forbid go to the trash can to throw away your trash!

2. Bag limits are going to hurt the international and even the CA traders who pay big money to get their pins to these events so they can trade.

3. What they need to do is limit the number of scooters in the building. Talk about taking up space.

Well, the only suggestion I made (which I make every year to deaf Mickey ears) is to limit the number of chairs in the back room to one side per table. It gets incredibly crowded and is very difficult to walk past all of those empty chairs...

I have made the exact same request, but it was a while ago at Contemporary PTNs. It's a great example of how Disney fails due to corporate BS. We tell them the chairs are in the way, but they basically have standard "sets" that they do for ballrooms, so they just do that every time. So instead of saving time and labor for their employees, they just keep doing it the "set" way...continuing to frustrate their customers. Nice "in the box" thinking and execution.

People always complain the pin lines are too long. But what people want is more boards, not limit trips.

I still don't understand why one cast member can't run two boards, one on each side. Time them both at the same time...it's not hard.

Now, regarding the changes...

I pretty much love them all, except the bag limit. I actually avoid the boards due to the wait...this will change that for me (assuming it works well and reduces the wait time). Some people will swap out their vouchers, so some people will be able to have more than their fair share, but at least it should run smoother.

The bag issue...I'm not sure what they're trying to accomplish here. The more bags, the more money people have spent on Disney pins- good for Disney. More bags mean the greater likelihood that someone would have the pin you're looking for- good for us. They haven't run out of table space since, like, 2007- that's a non-issue. People coming from far away can bring more to make it worth their while.

The only reason I can see it being an issue is to try and cut down on large items in the park and to get rid of the bag searches. But if we're still letting a carry-on in, then those still have to be searched anyway.

My personal frustration (besides having to pick and choose which pins to bring) would be that I *hate* carrying my pins in carry-ons. I much prefer an open style cart for easy access. I've done a lot of trial and error over the years, and that's what works best for me. Maybe I can find one carry-on size...

The voucher thing, I'm not sure about it. When I was there for the last event, even though I made a few trades in line and met some people I knew, the lines for the trading boards just seemed like a HUGE time sink. Standing in line is not enjoying the event as far as I'm concerned; not sure how most other people feel about that.

What I worry about with the voucher system is that it will actually take longer for trades to happen, unless they just let people come up willy-nilly. If they allow that, everyone will be waiting for the boards to change and then there'll be a big rush to turn in your vouchers first. If it's more like a take-a-number deal, then there will be waits while numbers are called out and some people may not actually be there.

There's a lot that's been left unexplained about the vouchers, so while I do hate waiting in line, I'm still reserving judgment over whether or not this is a good or bad change.

24” x 15” x 18” (61cm x 38cm x 46cm) is a pretty decent sized piece of carry-on luggage. It's almost 4 cubic feet. Enough for a few pin bags/binders, but not enough for a collection that fills half a trading table in the back. Sucks for the bigger traders, but overall I think this is a good change that attendees will learn to overcome.

The rolling file holders from staples hold four books and meet the size requirements. I think the bag size requirements are for park entry and the event team can not control the bag size.

Interesting comments!! I will opt to wait until the registration time gets closer and more details are presented.

The boards/waiting time is a simple queuing theory problem, you need more boards to alleviated the wait time of the lines, actually very simple solution. Like when they NEVER have enough cash registers to process folks during special events - you NEVER let people wait when they want to give you money - they just NEVER get this!!

I am sure we will see more as the time for registration comes closer - but with a fairly banal Event theme to start with - we will see.

Mike S.
Figment919

Last edited:
Well, the Disney Announcement didn't say anything about wheelchairs and strollers. Nothing in the "rules" stating that a person needs to be in the wheelchair or stroller to go through Security. Just a thought.
TTFN!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back