• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

Your Thoughts Needed on Threads/Drama

Status
Not open for further replies.
Your Thoughts Needed on Threads/Drama

Goofy_Moe

Well-Known DPF Member
Rating - 100%
290   0   0
Before this gets filled with non-sense please think before you make a post that may upset others...

I am sure like myself, you have noticed a huge increase in the amount of drama that can be found on numerous threads...

I get the frustrations from both sides of the arguments, but the amount lately has reached a boiling point...

I have noticed it in specific type threads more than others and I am wondering if it would be better for the site as a community to eliminate certain types of threads from being permitted...

The threads I see as the biggest problems are the threads which discuss any upcoming release, whether at DSF (Biggest problem), WDI (Cast member illegally posting images), or at DLR/WDW... Whenever a release starts to get hype then it ends up having thread drama...

Another problem I see are the Pre-Sale threads... Why is this still permitted after soo many member issues in the past that require a Moderator to get involved... Until you own a pin why do you try to sell it??? This is also just another way of raising the hype and drama on a pin before it is even released...

I know that drama will exist no matter what we do in other areas, but these two forms of threads really seem to be the biggest contributor to the problem as I see it...

What are your thoughts regarding these two types of threads...

Please keep the discussion to the topic at hand... Thank You for your input...

I would love to see pre sale threads gone. It makes no sense to me to allow pre-sales, but not bid before you own the pin in auctions. seems like a double standard to me, and it would decrease some of the drama, not only here, but in lines as well(IMO).

I would love to see pre sale threads gone. It makes no sense to me to allow pre-sales, but not bid before you own the pin in auctions. seems like a double standard to me, and it would decrease some of the drama, not only here, but in lines as well(IMO).

I fully agree it would help both on this wonderful site, but in the lines as well as all people do is get angry reading comments from others if it disagrees with their thoughts on the issue... What else is there to do but read DPF while waiting in line for hours at a time...

I dislike seeing all the drama but I would also not like to be over moderated. For example I love threads about DSF and the releases, the pins coming out and so on. We are adults and should behave as such and if we do then threads like that should be permitted. However if threads are made specifically to attack people or incite drama then maybe the mods need to get involved?

I do not like presale threads though, I dont think you should be able to sell something you do not have and may not get.

Last edited:
1) I like the pre-sell threads. Gives me a chance to get some pins since I am out of state. Just this last release, some sellers didn't get the sets I wanted and promptly refunded my money. I do agree that if you have an issue with pricing/delivery/etc that should be discussed in chat.

2) I also like the discussion of what is upcoming. Yes there is going to be argument and such, but guess what? We all have different opinions and those are going to be seen.

This is a forum and not a dictatorship and I don't think any type of "Thread" should be banned just because drama might happen. IF you see a thread that someone posted that you know causes "Drama" just skip over it and don't read it.

I'm all about the banning of pre-sales, it brings unnecessary hype and panic causing people to try and beat the pre sellers anywhere and thus the creation of camp outs. The other threads such as "live from... Wherever" or "upcoming wherever pins" I believe are necessary. One to know what is coming out, and two people like me who go to SoCal ever so often and want to catch a DSF release, without an insider telling us what is going on we would be in the blind, most of you guys that live near know each other and have great communication. The rest of us don't, so we rely on the updates. I think the problem is caused when people post pre-sale prices that are outrageous and then the drama unfolds. My suggestion is ban pre-sales and anything mentioning ebay prices.

well said Goofy-Moe I agree pre-sales should go drama is not needed at all

Why get rid of pre-sales? For example, in the For Sale forum there are rules that say you can't post on someone's thread about "That price is too high, or it's x amount on eBay. Just apply that rule to pre-sales threads and problem solved. Give infractions, hell it's not like they aren't handed out on a daily basis for more mundane things.

That is most of the drama right there, the " I don't like your price" or "You're a Shark".

I dislike seeing all the drama but I would also not like to be over moderated. For example I love threads about DSF and the releases, the pins coming out and so on. We are adults and behave as such and if we do then threads like that should be permitted. However if threads are made specifically to attack people or incite drama then maybe the mods need to get involved?

I fully understand your point on being overmoderated, and also why should the MODs even need to worry about it... But the truth is that some people will continue to act like children and upset the ones who are not...

I see a need to know as a community what new releases are coming out and those are still necessary... perhaps only once a month when the flyer is released, but the threads with the titles... "What time will you be..." and "Live at..." are more the ones I see a concern with...

Please know that this is coming to you from one of the main people involved in trying to keep things calm and orderly in a mature mannor... But trust me when I say that not all involved can be mature and it ruins it for the others who are...

I can totally understand the idea behind not wanting certain threads to exist. However, being that we look forward to Upcoming releases, and being that this is the one place (and sometimes only place) many of us feel free to talk about pins and what we are excited about, I think it would limit the discussions if we could not talk about upcoming releases. "What time are you planning to line up" threads in my opinion, however, are a much different story. I do think those ones could go without anyone missing them and possibly could lessen the drama.

Upcoming pin threads should be where we can discuss (as AgentofAnarchy said, as adults) what we are looking forward to and what we hope to get. They don't need to be filled with "I'm so going to line up for this right now" and "gosh I hope ebayers don't hear about this one" (quotations are examples and not taken from any specific person.)

As far as presales go, the unfortunate truth of the matter is that a lot of us out of towners depend on pre-sales to feel like we may have a good chance at getting the pins we are hoping for (although personally as of late I have had absolutely no way of being able to afford them the way DSF demands have been going). I'm not sure how those could be done away with. I mean, maybe only allow wanted post where people are straight out asking for help, rather than people posting pre-sales? That's a tough one and may just be where people need to be more adult about the matter and be civil whether they are holding a pre-sale or responding to one.

Good discussion topic Moe and hopefully this thread can continue being civil =)

Last edited:
Why get rid of pre-sales? For example, in the For Sale forum there are rules that say you can't post on someone's thread about "That price is too high, or it's x amount on eBay. Just apply that rule to pre-sales threads and problem solved. Give infractions, hell it's not like they aren't handed out on a daily basis for more mundane things.

That is most of the drama right there, the " I don't like your price" or "You're a Shark".

Pre-sales bring up unnecessary hype to pins, especially if it is over priced. People panic because they can't pay that amount or think its outrageous. And Boom... The drama explodes! I would say purchase the pins then sell them. Also, banning pre sales would help dwindle down camp outs. If sellers don't have the money to buy the sets, then they would think twice about it. The trend now at DSF is to double or more the price of the set, people then ask for the money before hand and use that money to make the profit. Without pre-sales this eliminates that possibility.

I see a need to know as a community what new releases are coming out and those are still necessary... perhaps only once a month when the flyer is released, but the threads with the titles... "What time will you be..." and "Live at..." are more the ones I see a concern with...

We totally agree with this Moe, those threads while sometimes helpful can be more damaging. It starts the hype

Correct me if I am wrong but an emerging theme seems to be how we deal with conflict and things we do not like? Maybe if we communicated better and did not partake in drama a lot of the problems would be solved. Then those that are not behaving appropriately should be given infractions and things.

I do agree on the point made that any mention of anothers price posted for their items and anything negative in such a mannor should and I believe is against policies... It is their item and they own it... But until they do physically have it then they are seling a hope and a prayer...

Many members are very trustworthy and I would expect an immediate refund and nothing less, but I know for sure that in more than one case the money had been spent by the party and an issue now exist... The majority of pre-sales are for those who cannot afford to fund their own purchases... Why risk your money to someone who has none???

Pre-Trade threads I can see as being different as the person is willing to purchase said item and no transaction is made until both parties have their items in hand... Much different in my opinion... Can this cause hype, perhaps but less than an actual price on a pin would and this can be done via PM...

I can tell you with all the drama and pin fights it has turned me off a little to pin trading and the fun and Joy that was once their. I have not gotten a pin in trade in over two months. I come on here to read whats going on and what is new and then I go off. I also have turned off my trade request with pinpics, I understand some pins have more value then others but the value some try to get is crazy.

Think of it like this "Guns don't kill people, people kill people"
well, "Treads don't start drama, people start drama"

No matter what the subject of the thread is, there WILL be drama.
Us as humans, feel the need to state our own opinions, and our thoughts.

Banning "pre-sales", 'live from", "new release", "what time" threads will not do anything.

:angel:

I can see the point in banning pre-sale threads. Those are purely speculative, when the person is hoping to get the items for sale. It is very different when a store does a pre-sale, as they know how many items have been placed on order and pretty much have a guarantee that they will receive the items. For a person, who cannot guarantee that they can aquire a pin or set of pins, to do pre-sales is taking a chance with someone else's money and can become a very highly charged issue.

I don't agree with banning the informative threads. But is it even an issue anymore? DSF has basically crushed the concept of lining up. They don't want them and some feel they went out of their way to make an example of the people who had been waiting for multiple days. Which is also why a lot of those people, including myself, are very upset with DSF and have plans to not return unless something drastically changes. You don't treat longtime customers that way. Period.

If the informative threads are to continue, I would hope that people have the common sense to refrain from posting silly things and things that make people go nuts; like how many are in line. The other thing that should be avoided is all the smack talk. There was a ton of it and it got ugly. A lot of damage was done and I'm not sure a lot of can be repaired.

I'm all about the banning of pre-sales, it brings unnecessary hype and panic causing people to try and beat the pre sellers anywhere and thus the creation of camp outs. The other threads such as "live from... Wherever" or "upcoming wherever pins" I believe are necessary. One to know what is coming out, and two people like me who go to SoCal ever so often and want to catch a DSF release, without an insider telling us what is going on we would be in the blind, most of you guys that live near know each other and have great communication. The rest of us don't, so we rely on the updates. I think the problem is caused when people post pre-sale prices that are outrageous and then the drama unfolds. My suggestion is ban pre-sales and anything mentioning ebay prices.

This I agree with 100%. It's my sentiments exactly, so I'm not going to retype it all lol

Correct me if I am wrong but an emerging theme seems to be how we deal with conflict and things we do not like? Maybe if we communicated better and did not partake in drama a lot of the problems would be solved. Then those that are not behaving appropriately should be given infractions and things.

I do believe the moderators have a tough job to monitor all threads, but I have seen further involvement when personal attacks and names get brought into threads... The problem is more what happens when these people come face to face and the comments made behind a keyboard are remembered... The tensions at recent releases stem from comments both on this site and on other sites like Facebook...

I'm just tired of seeing pics of ice-cream and such on drama threads.! I'd much rather see fried chicken and actual meals! Gosh the things we deal with! ;p

I agree. We should protest. Who is Psycho Pixie to decide what foods are the best?!?! ;)

I do believe the moderators have a tough job to monitor all threads, but I have seen further involvement when personal attacks and names get brought into threads... The problem is more what happens when these people come face to face and the comments made behind a keyboard are remembered... The tensions at recent releases stem from comments both on this site and on other sites like Facebook...

I agree but I feel that rather than peanalise everyone and take away useful threads such as releases, we should moderate ourselves and take responsibility for what we choose to type and think about if what we are saying would hurt somebody and if infact we need to post it at all :) I think we create the drama, not the thread title.

I'm just tired of seeing pics of ice-cream and such on drama threads.! I'd much rather see fried chicken and actual meals! Gosh the things we deal with! ;p

Exactly! I have always found it slightly ironic that we post ice cream to deal with problems stemming from the Disney Soda Fountain. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back