• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

Your ultimate guide to Disneyland Host/Guide "D" pins

Status
Not open for further replies.
Your ultimate guide to Disneyland Host/Guide "D" pins

sosai x

DPF Charter Member
DPF Charter Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Submitted for your approval: your ultimate guide to Disneyland Host/Guide "D" pins.

So you might be considering buying a Disneyland "D" pin on eBay or someplace. How do you tell if it's real or not? Use this guide!

The first "D" pins were created in 1958 when the Tour Guide program was started at Disneyland by Milt Albright, who worked at the park as an accountant in the payroll department. Here is the first pin from 1958 (notice the rather crude state of the GUIDE lettering on the rocker bar, where the later generations are rather refined. This is the first clue that a pin is the first generation):

58front.jpg

And the back of the 1958 pin:

58bakk.jpg

You can clearly see that the first-generation pins from 1958 are made of gold-plated sterling silver, and are hallmarked as such on the back of Sleeping Beauty Castle, with the same DISNEYLAND W.D.P © hallmark on the second and third generations of pins. The 1958 pin does not have a hallmark on the bottom of the castle, unlike the next generations of "D" pins.:

58hallmark.jpg

The second generation of "D" pins were manufactured in the early 1960's by the N.S. Meyer Inc. of New York:
(N.S. Meyer also made HOST and HOSTESS pins for Disneyland. They carry the same hallmarks in the same places as the GUIDE pin presented here.)

Note the clasp goes horizontally across the "D" on the N.S. Meyer pin:

nsmeyerfr.jpg

The back of the N.S. Meyer pin:

nsmeyer2.jpg

and a close-up of the N.S. Meyer hallmark, (It says N.S. MEYER, INC NEW YORK)

nsmeyer.jpg

The bottom of Sleeping Beauty Castle carries a hallmark of DISNEYLAND W.D.P © (short for Walt Disney Productions, and any pin that carries this hallmark was made before 1986. Michael Eisner changed the name of the company to The Walt Disney Company in February of that year):

wdpns.jpg

Around the mid 1970's and again the 1980's, Disneyland needed some new "D" pins to replace lost or worn out ones. This time an order was placed with a different company, Vanguard Industries. Both Vanguard and N.S. Meyer providers of insignia to the United States Armed Forces. The "D" Pins made by Vanguard are nearly the same as those from N.S. Meyer, with some key differences. Here is the front of the first generation pin from Vanguard:

2gvanfr.jpg

And its back side, notice the clasp is horizontal, about the middle of the pin, whereas the NS Meyer was towards the top, and it bears the hallmark © WALT DISNEY PRODUCTIONS:
2gvanbakk.jpg

The bottom of the Sleeping Beauty Castle on the Vanguard pins also bears the DISNEYLAND W.D.P © hallmark. Also notice the distinct glob of metal on the bottom, it's present on both generations of Vanguard pins:

2gvanWDP.jpg

Here is the front of the second generation 1980's Vanguard pin. You will note the clasp goes vertically across the Vanguard pin:

guide1.jpg

and the back (note the different hallmark of "© WALT DISNEY PRODUCTIONS"):

guide2.jpg

The bottom of Sleeping Beauty Castle on the Vanguard pin carries the same hallmark of DISNEYLAND W.D.P © as the N.S. Meyer pins:

wdp80s.jpg

In 2001 when Disney California Adventure opened, a new "D" pin was created for cast members working the service desk in the Guest Relations office. It was made by a company in China, whose name I cannot find. Here is the front of it:

gr2001.jpg

And some shots of the back side, note the pin goes vertically. The Guest Relations pin from 2001 does not have a hallmark on the bottom of the Sleeping Beauty Castle, but is hallmarked © DISNEY on the back side:

gr2001bakk.jpg

A closer picture of the hallmark:

gr2001bakk2.jpg

As an additional point of comparison, Vanguard Industries also made several costume pieces for Walt Disney World. Here is a Guest Relations pin made by Vanguard for WDW, compare its features and details to the Disneyland pin, in particular the unpolished metal on the back:

wdwgrfront.jpg

One key detail in the Vanguard pins lies in the © WALT DISNEY PRODUCTIONS hallmark. In the PRODUCTIONS part of the hallmark, the bottom of the P, N and S are always missing, as the hallmarks were made with the same dies.

wdwgrbak.jpg

One other thing of note is that N.S. Meyer went out of business in 1992, and Vanguard Industries purchased all their old stock. Vanguard then sold them on the open market, including many Walt Disney World pins still on the N.S. Meyer backer cards, which look like this:

nsmeyercard.jpg

So you might find Host, or Hostess, or Director, or many badges on this card, which came in blue and red. You can buy them knowing they are genuine. And just for the sake of completeness, here is another of the "D" pins from the 1980's, the Disneyland Ambassador pin :eek2: :

ambassador.jpg

I'm not sure which company Disney contracted to make the Ambassador pins, as it bears a © WALT DISNEY PRODUCTIONS CHINA hallmark. There is no hallmark on the bottom of the Sleeping Beauty Castle:

ambassador2.jpg

Now I will show you an example of one of the many fake "D" pins that are on eBay and other places. The most common is what I call the "can opener" variety. Here's the front and back, so you can see what I mean:

fakefront.jpg

Notice the rather lethal-looking 'can-opener' on the bottom of the pin. That's the dead giveaway.

fakebakk.jpg

And the "can opener" fakes have no hallmarks on the back, or the bottom of the Sleeping Beauty Castle:

fakenohallmark.jpg

You will also find fakes with absurd titles never used at Disneyland, like TRAM DRIVER, BOAT PILOT, etc. So if your pin looks like one of these below, you now know it's a fake :( :down::

fakes.jpg

So know you know a bit more on how to spot real and fake Disneyland Cast Member costume "D" pins! :wiggle:

:hug:

Last edited:
Sadly these are the most faked pins of all time. The "can opener" fakes are sold again and again on eBay as genuine Disney costume pieces, and people are paying good money for total junk. I just hope this can help someone make the right informed choice and save them the heartache and financial loss when they see they got a fake. Perhaps this thread could be stickied in the Pin Comparison forum.

Thank you, this is terrific information! As I hope to own one of these real "D" pins some day, this information is very helpful! And I agree that this info should be saved someplace that we can all get to when needed ... making it a permanent "sticky" in the Pin Comparison forum would be great!! Again thank you Sosai x!! You are a great treasure to DPF!! :wavey: Take care, *bjr

This was a most informative thread and I was happy to actually "see" some of the original pins. These will probably always be out of my reach, but they are beautiful and now we know the history. Thank you.

A great thread! Thank you!

Ive always wanted to get some of the Cast Member Service Award pins, but worry about authenticity, I wish there was more info like the above available about those pins.

Updated with the very first generation of "D" pins, that were made in 1958 when the Tour Guide program started.

nice read. but as with everything. seems there is always more sides of a story. If i read what you have here. i think it is telling me that the pins being used now are from 2001 or older and all from china.?? not sure if i read it wrong but thats what im getting.

Now i dont realy ubderstand. A un named bird that may have worked at a place that may have had those pins around... for sum reason thought they come from italy or sumplace other than china. And thought they may b gold. Also thought they came in a small box with a few pins at a time. never knew it was just like any other pin and on sum cheep card.

I got to get my hot little hands on a new one. well atleast if its the real one they use now. Last real one i have herd of being sold was in the past 2 years and was sold for $1000.00

sounds like a rip of now that i read these are old china pins and could b bought on the card from the maker.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back