• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

A better, brighter DSF lineup idea

Status
Not open for further replies.
A better, brighter DSF lineup idea
Yes, especially on the pin trading events, if you are in the second half group, there is hardly any time for pin trading. There were people this last week whom I had never met before that had great stuff to trade. I had a blast. Even though I was only 1 number away from winning the princess beloved tales pins. :suspect: I sense a conspiracy here!!!! :eek2: I have yet to win, and yet every time have been exactly 1 number away. there is a plot among the CKC!!!!! :suspect: LOL!!!

LOL, one number away?! On both ends? One number higher and one number lower, but not your number?

Ok. Let's say Disney can't figure out an online system to eliminate fake entries. The solution would be instead of only allowing 150 wristbands, make enough wristbands for every person who entered online. You stand in line, wait for your # to be called, show your ID proving who you are, and you get your pins. All fake entries would be wiped out because they can't show valid id. No more campouts. You simply show up a half hour before they open and get in line based on the # that they sent you from your online registration.

Also to satisfy the busine$$ part of it, propose that DSF would have some type of charge for online registration. Whether it's $25 a year or $5 a release...something because they aren't going to change things just to satisfy pin traders without there being some sort of profit for them.

I think you forget about kids that don't always have ID's. I don't think you can force them to go get an ID either. I would wager there are many undocumented immigrants that do pin trading.

But somehow there has to be a way to sign up and prove that the person signing up is the persont that will show up. So sign up in person, have a signature which is hard to fake. Have a picture associated so when they pick the numbers there is an order and a photo next to each number on a sheet for the cashiers. Give everyone a DSF number and have them upload a photo to their profile. Lock the photo so it can't be changed after first upload. For kids that grow up, have them email a new photo to DSF staff who can change it. Basically it's like your DPF username and avatar would be your unsername and photo. Then you sign in and enter drawing. They get the usernames and photo's and go.

You cannot do 100% surprise releases. And if you keep suggesting that it sounds like you live close to DSF and want it that way to be in your favor. I know of pintraders that come to DSF from Palm Springs, San Clemente, Victorville, and San Diego. I also know sharks/resellers that live down the street, so.

Also, they should release pins on Fridays or Saturdays. Not thursdays because that is when DLR releases pins. Fridays are not always convenient for me but I welcome the work day releases because they usually thin the crowd a little. Saturdays are best for the majority typically. Except maybe retail or service industry workers. But if you know enough in advance you can request the day you need off or change your availability. I still see no flaws with my system other than the cost to implement it. Heck, they can sell 1000 pins for $15 each for the "DSF RSP Grand Reveal" and make up the cost in a day. Stick a few characters to make it desirable and go.

Then it is random but not anonymous. Multiple sign ups will go away. Multiple arrival time will spread out the rush and get people in the store at different hours. Handicapped folks can take their time, noone is in danger, parking overnight will be gone and it will be just $2 validated for most, you can still have standby lines but they won't need to rush and be there early as most of the popular pins won't make it past the 2nd wave of people.

I still don't know why DSF doesn't do a special movie screening for pin traders, have a special pin. Pick the gaps when the theater is kinda empty and show a movie and give a special pin. Movie Goers Delight. I can be a series of pins with characters and concession items like popcorn, icee's, snow caps, etc.

Pinhunters...so you're saying that you don't like online registration because there's a greater chance of you not getting the pin and that people who may not be true collectors of the pin may end up with one? However, they may be just as much of a collector as you :). They may be living outside of 2 hours from DSF and now the system allows them to plan trips to dland around a pin release. Online registration opens the door for far more collectors of particular themes. So if this is a question of what's the most "fair", as an example, there are far more Rapunzel collectors outside of L.A., than in L.A. . By no means do I want to talk about what's "fair", but I had to respond. No hard feelings.

Also about security problems with overnights, as I stated early on, I don't think anyone is concerned about pin traders with pin traders or the occasional argument in line. It's the other risks about spending the night in an ally in Hollywood.

Mark... I live 4 hours north of dland. Never been to a release. Only been to DSF once.

These have been my thoughts all along:

• random starting number - Actually it could be a random starting number or raffle the spots.
  • PRO - you don't need to camp out. Just show up 1 hour before wrist band or number distribution. Get your wrist band then the lucky number is pulled. That would be where the line starts. Years ago when people would actually go to Ticketmaster to buy tickets, that was their method and it worked fine. No fights. No sleeping overnight.
  • CON - some people will go home empty handed.

• all surprise release, no announced releases
  • PRO - people will find out and show up.
  • CON - I can see a lot of calls to DSF staff interrupting their work. And people cannot plan the rest of their list around the pin releases.

• one pin per guest limit
  • PRO - More people have a chance at getting a pin for themselves.
  • CON - we are unable to help out others or get an extra for trading.

• increase edition sizes
  • PRO - More people have a change at getting the pins.
  • CON - DSF used to have larger edition sizes and may be unwilling to go this route due to having so many left over. However, that was a few years ago before DSF pins became so freakin popular. And since DSF finds it fun to make characters we love, such as Tangled and UP, the demand will always be high for these characters. I don't know what their cost is, but I would think selling out of 2 LE500 pins would more than make up for any discount they may have to give on another LE500 if it doesn't sell out eventually. It would still end up with more profit for DSF. If they don't want to go as high as LE500, perhaps LE400 like Disney Paris has would work - a happy medium?

Anyways, those are my "trying to be rational" thoughts.

Sharon aka Sherry4pins

• increase edition sizes
  • PRO - More people have a change at getting the pins.
  • CON - DSF used to have larger edition sizes and may be unwilling to go this route due to having so many left over. However, that was a few years ago before DSF pins became so freakin popular. And since DSF finds it fun to make characters we love, such as Tangled and UP, the demand will always be high for these characters. I don't know what their cost is, but I would think selling out of 2 LE500 pins would more than make up for any discount they may have to give on another LE500 if it doesn't sell out eventually. It would still end up with more profit for DSF. If they don't want to go as high as LE500, perhaps LE400 like Disney Paris has would work - a happy medium?
It is interesting to note that while people complained about all the LE500 marquees that came out last year, they all still sold out fairly quickly...

I haven't even _seen_ the $4.95 discount bin there in a long time... It used to be 4-6 bins always full of random leftover pins... I think even the less-desired Frankenweenie and Monster's Inc pins eventually sold out on their own (or the discount bin came and went fairly quickly...)

Oh, and, Hi Sherry! Just realized you were the one I was sharing the line with for the last release... :)

Last edited:
There is one good thing about camping out, it is another opportunity to pin trade!!!! Since there was not a Jan pin trading night, these nights camping out allow people to do extra trading that they would not be able to do as regular with only three tables in the park in tomorrowland. I enjoy talking to different people and seeing different collections and maybe making some nice trades. I have made some great friends because of the campouts that I might not have made otherwise

I'm not even a local and this has me thinking of a better way. LOL!

1. DSF issues a membership card. Each card has it's own member number.
2. DSF only allows one pin per person.
2. DSF uses Rafflecopter (or similar) on their website as a way to sign up, draw winners, as well as contact winners via email.
3. Winners show up with their winner email and their membership card to pick up pin.
4. DSF verifies membership number listed on card to their Rafflecopter winner list, issues pin accordingly and "check off" that person as picked up.
5. Winners have X numbered of days to pick up their pin or they will be placed in store for sale.

If you aren't familiar with Rafflecopter, it is a free tool that is generally used to run online giveaways but it can be easily modified for a person's own needs. Not that I'm trying to shamelessly plug my own business but I use it for a weekly giveaway on my online store. You can see an example of it in action here:

http://www.diaperjunction.com/012513-FYSF-Win-a-GroVia-Sampler-Cloth-Diaper-Package_b_534.html

We have modified so that a person has a way to receive multiple entries to win but DSF can have just one way to enter and that is by entering your member ID number.

DSF could even build on this to generate sales. For example, they could allow extra entires for a better chance to get a pin or or even multiple pins. For example, if a person makes some sort of purchase (merchandise or food) in the store within a certain time frame, they could enter their receipt number as an added entry. I could see for hot releases someone making a daily visit to DSF to buy something for a chance to earn extra entries. I know I would if I lived close enough. :)

Last edited:
It's the other risks about spending the night in an ally in Hollywood.

Would you try and do something against a hundred people who have each others backs? People say hollywood is so bad, but the worst thing that I have seen happen is some drunk guy peeing on the fence on the side of the car rental place. when we yelled at him to stop, he just proceeded to fill up the bucket of wash water they use to wash the cars. the worst part is i do not think that the rental people emptied the bucket, just filled up the rest of the way with water and soap and then washed the cars

Pinhunters...so you're saying that you don't like online registration because there's a greater chance of you not getting the pin and that people who may not be true collectors of the pin may end up with one? However, they may be just as much of a collector as you :). They may be living outside of 2 hours from DSF and now the system allows them to plan trips to dland around a pin release. Online registration opens the door for far more collectors of particular themes. So if this is a question of what's the most "fair", as an example, there are far more Rapunzel collectors outside of L.A., than in L.A. . By no means do I want to talk about what's "fair", but I had to respond. No hard feelings.

Also about security problems with overnights, as I stated early on, I don't think anyone is concerned about pin traders with pin traders or the occasional argument in line. It's the other risks about spending the night in an ally in Hollywood.

No hard feelings here! We honestly have met a lot of collectors (in our few months collecting) that collect random themes (sometimes just DSF pins, sometimes only silhouettes of characters or their favorite movie - you name it). This isn't about us getting a certain pin, we are not regulars to DSF because of the cost of gas, parking and general spending. We go if we're going to get pins that go into our collection or trading for pins into our collection (and as we started with the marquees of films we love, we're starting to go more often). What we meant to imply is that releasing information ahead of time gives EVERYONE (however much of a collector they are - which honestly, to each his own, to us a collector is a collector is a collector, despite the length of time they've put into the hobby) a fair and longer time to plan accordingly. In other words, if Pin Trader A lived, say a state away and wanted to go to a release a month from now, they'd start planning to take a day off or doing whatever needs to be done for that day ahead of time. If that means that trader has to plan to leave for a couple days, that is according to their life and their careers and/or daily life. That is not for us to say but for them to plan.

All we said is that surprise releases or online distribution makes it so that you only plan to go if you're chosen, if you're not chosen you're flat out of luck as you wont be getting that pin even though you could have potentially gone and stayed in line. The random generator will make it so that certain people (by luck) can purchase the pin and the rest not (which is not a very Disney thing to do as their number one priority is to make everyone happy). The current way allows for everyone to make plans to be eligible to purchase it. Other traders/collectors/sellers make it impossible sometimes but not DSF - they allow everyone, with ample time, to be able to come and purchase them.

As for the comment of Rapunzel collectors - say the new Beloved Tales Rapunzel. There are collectors that collect Beloved Tales or Princesses or Circle Pins or DSF pins or whatever other random thing on the design makes them happy. There are collectors for everything and even if you don't collect it, it doesn't mean that you get less of a chance to purchase an item. That's unfair.

The problem is not DSF but rather the hype of all these pins to either trade for HTF/Grail pins or to sell.

The problems with the ally we agree, after grabbing take out some random guy tried to attack us. Granted this was on the street (nearby) and not the actual (surprisingly well-lit) alley.

I'm not even a local and this has me thinking of a better way. LOL!

1. DSF issues a membership card. Each card has it's own member number.
2. DSF only allows one pin per person.
2. DSF uses Rafflecopter (or similar) on their website as a way to sign up, draw winners, as well as contact winners via email.
3. Winners show up with their winner email and their membership card to pick up pin.
4. DSF verifies membership number listed on card to their Rafflecopter winner list, issues pin accordingly and "check off" that person as picked up.
5. Winners have X numbered of days to pick up their pin or they will be placed in store for sale.

If you aren't familiar with Rafflecopter, it is a free tool that is generally used to run online giveaways but it can be easily modified for a person's own needs. Not that I'm trying to shamelessly plug my own business but I use it for a weekly giveaway on my online store. You can see an example of it in action here:

http://www.diaperjunction.com/012513-FYSF-Win-a-GroVia-Sampler-Cloth-Diaper-Package_b_534.html

We have modified so that a person has a way to receive multiple entries to win but DSF can have just one way to enter and that is by entering your member ID number.

DSF could even build on this to generate sales. For example, they could allow extra entires for a better chance to get a pin or or even multiple pins. For example, if a person makes some sort of purchase (merchandise or food) in the store within a certain time frame, they could enter their receipt number as an added entry. I could see for hot releases someone making a daily visit to DSF to buy something for a chance to earn extra entries. I know I would if I lived close enough. :)

With a little more thought, this isn't 100% without its flaws either. DSF would have to have some way in patrolling the membership cards to ensure that one person does not have some how have multiple membership cards. They will need a system in place so that a person can not falsify themselves in order to hold more than one card. Whether it is through applications they keep on file or what have you.

I'm jumping on the larger edition sizes. My wife collects these things because they are better than what Disneyland puts out. It wouldn't matter to her whether the edition size was 300 or 3000. She just likes DSF pins better.

Low LE = Camping and general disarray. Mucho stressing out over whether or not we will get the pin.
High LE = No stress and easy living. Happy wife, because she can almost be guaranteed she'd get a pin.

How about using a system similar to WDW's dining system? The more popular restaurants at WDW require a deposit when making reservations. If you don't show up for your reservation you forfeit the deposit. DSF could do a random online selection a few weeks before a release and all the winners would have to make a deposit (maybe equal to the cost of one or two pins) and when they show up on release day they show their ID and a printout of their winning email. The cost of the deposit would be deducted from their total. Any winners that haven't paid their deposit by a week or so before the release are deleted from the system and another random selection occurs. No refunds if you make a deposit and do not show up. So if someone floods the system with fake entries, unless they're willing to lose out on a whole bunch of deposits they won't be able to use the system to ensure X number of pins go unsold. They can tweak the system until they find a way to ensure the majority of the pins are sold. Maybe up the minimum age to 12 since most kids would have school ID at least by that age.

How about using a system similar to WDW's dining system? The more popular restaurants at WDW require a deposit when making reservations. If you don't show up for your reservation you forfeit the deposit. DSF could do a random online selection a few weeks before a release and all the winners would have to make a deposit (maybe equal to the cost of one or two pins) and when they show up on release day they show their ID and a printout of their winning email. The cost of the deposit would be deducted from their total. Any winners that haven't paid their deposit by a week or so before the release are deleted from the system and another random selection occurs. No refunds if you make a deposit and do not show up. So if someone floods the system with fake entries, unless they're willing to lose out on a whole bunch of deposits they won't be able to use the system to ensure X number of pins go unsold. They can tweak the system until they find a way to ensure the majority of the pins are sold. Maybe up the minimum age to 12 since most kids would have school ID at least by that age.

Although I like where this is going, this would still require a person to make multiple trips to DSF.

Although I like where this is going, this would still require a person to make multiple trips to DSF.

They can make the deposit online. That's how the WDW system works. Then the only trip would be on release day to buy the pins. I guess if someone didn't have a debit or credit card they'd have to make an extra trip to pay a deposit in cash but how that would affect a very minimal number of people.

I'm not saying that any of the tracking, reservation, and lottery ideas are something that will never happen. I actually like the concept behind a couple of them. I just don't see Disney spending the resources to make it happen. I'm thinking the whole DSF pins thing is one of those love/hate relationships for them. They hate the drama, but love the nearly guaranteed cash flow. I really don't see anyone making an effort to champion anything that is going to result in more work at the same level of pay.

Drb195....concerning the other risks in an ally, at night, in Hollywood. It's not about somebody looking for trouble against 100+ people who all have their backs, it's about 1 drunk or somebody not all there looking for trouble with 1 person in the group. From what I've read, the camp outs involve people of all ages, with all different personalities. All it takes is one drunk and 1 person trying to protect everyone to have a problem.

pinhunters...I understand your points, but for people out of town, wouldn't it make more sense for them to plan a trip out to dland or dsf knowing that they were going to get a pin vs. spending the time and $ to get to Dsf, camp overnight, and only hope that they could get a pin?

I care about everyone who attends these. My only hope is to eliminate overnights. I don't care how that's done. We were all taught that "if it sounds like a bad idea, then it probably is". I don't think anybody has argued against the fact that overnights are an accident waiting to happen.

I don't think anybody has argued against the fact that overnights are an accident waiting to happen.

Lineups, not overnights are an accident waiting when you have the parameters such as no lining up until X:XX. the rush that ensues WILL, not can but WILL hurt somebody one of these times. If you live your life not doing anything because an accident can happen, then you will do nothing. I for one do not live in fear of an accident that can happen. I love the campouts. I get to see friends, and make new ones. I grew up camping out for concert tickets as a teenager. I would wait not in an alley like we can for DSF, but right on Ventura Blvd. and Reseda where Music+ used to be (aging myself here, alot of the younger whipper snappers are gonna be puzzled asking" What's music+") It is where ticket master used to be before the internet. You would see some CRAZIES in line for concert tickets. And there was nothing fun like pin trading to do in order to pass the time.

Anywho, the threat of accidents can happen is diminished with show up when you get there, and get a wristband when you arrive approach.

dis22, We're out of hollywood too, so distance doesnt really matter to traders (in perspective!! as UK people, east coast people wouldnt really travel to DSF for every release) if you want the pins. For the last event pins we met a couple from San Diego that were about 50 people in front of us. They knew they lived far and planned accordingly and got here extra early so they were guaranteed the pins we were not. We understand the frustration and have felt it a few times of not making the cut for the wristbands or the first go at it and staying longer but it is a system of first come first serve and ultimately how much you want a pin to be able to put the time and effort for it.

I've thought about this a million times during the ever long lasting campouts and I unfortunately came to the conclusion that we should just go the traditional route of "first come first serve". I believe DSF should allow people to camp out in the alley for as long as they want. Having EVERYONE "rush" the line at 6pm is a disaster. People WILL get physical. I'm not a fan of long campouts but campouts show the determination of getting what they want. Does anyone agree or disagree with me? Explain.

Drb195... It's not about living in fear, it's about realizing that there's a problem and there's a better alternative.

pinhunters...If disney's motto is to make everyone happy, then they should just sell all highly desired pins online to first come first served. The way it is now, only those that live close to any of the parks, or dsf, or wdi are happy. That's not everyone.

No system is completely flawless, but that doesn't mean that we should just accept it that way because "that's the way it is or that's the way it's always been". If there's a problem, fix it. The more I'm hearing that online registration is a bad idea, all surprise releases is a bad idea, camp outs are worth the risk, etc. the more it sounds like those that currently attend these releases don't want change because then they would be afraid that they won't get the pins.

I am not afraid of not getting the pins with the surprise release, that was my idea. I re-iterate that i do not want a computer telling me that I am worthy or not worthy to buy a pin. that seems pretty communist to me.

You are right that no system is flawless and someone will always be left without a pin. Since you cannot make everyone happy, the easiest way to make the majority happy is with the first come first serve basis.

The other problem with the RSP is that alot of complaints come from some sense of entitlement. They do not want to do the work to get the pin, they just want it handed to them by a computer. What is missed is that there are winners and there are losers. Sometimes you win and get there in time, and sometimes you do not. I have missed out on pins because I could not get there in time, I made sure that I would not make that mistake again if its a pin I really want by getting there earlier. Is this a bad thing?

part of the reason i say to do it like th egingerbreed pins is.... CUZ they did it. its not sumthing we are tring to come up with. They know how to do it and have done it in the past. It was all good and no trouble. still dont see were ppl can say its not a fair way. Just cuz you dont win a lotto dose not mean its no fair.

I am not afraid of not getting the pins with the surprise release, that was my idea. I re-iterate that i do not want a computer telling me that I am worthy or not worthy to buy a pin. that seems pretty communist to me.

You are right that no system is flawless and someone will always be left without a pin. Since you cannot make everyone happy, the easiest way to make the majority happy is with the first come first serve basis.

The other problem with the RSP is that alot of complaints come from some sense of entitlement. They do not want to do the work to get the pin, they just want it handed to them by a computer. What is missed is that there are winners and there are losers. Sometimes you win and get there in time, and sometimes you do not. I have missed out on pins because I could not get there in time, I made sure that I would not make that mistake again if its a pin I really want by getting there earlier. Is this a bad thing?

RSP stimulates trading. People will miss on pins and will have to trade for it. This way also you can limit the number of pins going to resellers that bring teams of people. The only puzzle piece left is to try to persuade people to keep and trade their pins and not just cash in and then buy the grails they want. All that benefits is eBay and their 10% take and Paypal's 3% take. Keep the pin, trade it at a PTN, or a DSF PTE, don't sell it right away and lose 13% and then just buy a pin on eBay and let them get another 13% from that person. That's 26% of the pin market value of both pins going to eBay/PayPal.

Also, PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, BOOST EDITION SIZES FOR POPULAR PINS!!! Everyone knows a LE1000 Rapunzel would sell out in a matter of hours/Days. Same for Up. Same for Jessica. Make more pins, sell more pins, make more money! Supply and Demand, if the demand is high, supply more.

The only reason we haven't had pins in the sale bin is the only pins that have lasted are the TinkerBell fairie pins and they are keeping those on the racks becaue the rack would be empty if they bargain bin'd them!! So many of these pins should make it to the sale bin but people keep buying them. Yes, Frankenweenie teacher lasted a few weeks. So? Make pins LE500 now and make the popular ones even higher. Give more people a chance and drop the hype/hysteria a little.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back