• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

A Few Framing Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
A Few Framing Questions

disneyfreak619

New DPF Member
Rating - 100%
41   0   0
I want to frame a couple finished sets I have but I don't understand how to do it.What do you do with the post and backs ?How do you hang it with the backs on?How do you get the pin not to hit the glass?Does it have to be a shadow box?

I use front-hinged shadow boxes in the 12 by 12 size. They also come in a 11 by 14 size. I buy them at Michael's, when they are on sale. You can sometimes find these types of shadow boxes at Tuesday Morning and HomeGoods stores. Depending on the look that I want, I will add foamboard/cork inside the shadow box. Atop the foamboard, I put a themed scrapbook page or colored paper. The foamboard will hold the pins, so the backers are not needed.

I use shadow boxes because they are the easiest when I want to rearrange my pins. But if you want to actually frame pins, use different level mats, putting the pins in the "deepest" mat/background, surrounded by one or more higher mats that hold the glass off the pins. On the backside, use the same technique, using cheaper material, to make room for the pin backs.

I use frames with a deep interior, but now shadow boxes. Any frame store sells them. I use a white board backing or a thin board with small gold "tie tack" posts. Be sure to seal the back with tape so you don't get moisture inside. You can use a small dot of tacky glue to hold the pin in place. You can PM me if you have any questions and I'll try to help you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back