• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

All advice on pin tracking/inventory/organization welcome!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
All advice on pin tracking/inventory/organization welcome!!!

Missyj33

New DPF Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Greetings! Like most of the wonderful pin collectors in this forum, my daughters and I caught the "pin obsession" on one of our recent trips to WDW. In a little over 8 mos., we have over 1000 pins. In those 8 mos. I have searched for ideas on how to keep track of all of my pins in an inventory system and how pin collectors know what they have and what they need while trading in the parks. I have found very little info, so I would welcome any and all suggestions on how you keep track of everything! I would LOVE to know what works (and even what you have found that doesn't work well) in my quest for organization!!! I just know I am missing some fantastic ideas and would appreciate all the advice I can get!

Hi Missy
Welcome to DPF..go to www.pinpics.com
you can inventory them there..and if you have a pinpics Id
You can add your wants/trades/collections in your DPF profile
by going to settings/edit profile and add your ID..and it shows up here

<~~~~under your ID..and if you ever wanna trade..I am up for trading with a NEW member of DPF!!
Everyone knows that

Judy

If I am going to a big pin trading thingie, I always print off a little image of all the pins I want using pin pics images. It's not much of an organization but it is helpful and stops me from trading for anything I already have and trading for everything hehe <3!

Thanks Tiggermickey and SyriusLionwing! I have looked at PinPics. From what I can find, I can only copy and paste the pin pictues in my inventory in order of the PinPic# or show it without the picture and I still can't export or sort it (unless I missed something, if so please let me know how to work with this existing data). I would love to be able to possibly sort by collection and/or subject. Maybe I am wanting to drill-down too much, but for example, I would love to see all the Tinkerbell pins I have at a glance or be able to go to a specific Hidden Mickey collection and see which pins I have and the ones I am missing.

If once you have all your pins in Pinpics, you go to "Click here to edit your collection" and then near the bottom there is a search box and you can type what you want and then click the "Owns" box and then it will show you the subset that you have. Like Hidden Mickey or Tinker Bell. It's certainly not elegant or anything, though.

That said, last year I took my collection list, displayed it using the text only option. Cut and pasted everything into excel, cleaned it up a bit. Added categories of what book/frame it's in, and what category is it. Like is it part of a series or group. My Dad did a similar thing, but he has Microsoft Access and did it in there. My excel file is already severely out of date though, because it is easy to click links on Pinpics when you get a pin, it's not so convenient to type it into the excel file. Plus, when I come home from vacation, I usually have a couple hundred pins to add, and I don't feel like it.

Also, through Pinpics you can make private Pin Groups. I usually use them to categorize my wants. So I have an Alice in Wonderland list, an Animal Kingdom list, a Figment list and so on. Here's an example http://pinpics.com/cgi-bin/group.cgi?group=5653 You could do that for owns too. I have seen someone who uses them to show which pins they have in what area of their house. You do have to manually type in the Pinpics number to make the list, but it's easier than typing the info in an outside program.

I made an iphone app for tracking/collecting hidden mickey's and vinylmations but Disney won't let me publish it. I'm still trying but they are a pain in the arse to deal with. Strict "NO"'s are all I get.

If once you have all your pins in Pinpics, you go to "Click here to edit your collection" and then near the bottom there is a search box and you can type what you want and then click the "Owns" box and then it will show you the subset that you have. Like Hidden Mickey or Tinker Bell. It's certainly not elegant or anything, though.

That said, last year I took my collection list, displayed it using the text only option. Cut and pasted everything into excel, cleaned it up a bit. Added categories of what book/frame it's in, and what category is it. Like is it part of a series or group.

Also, through Pinpics you can make private Pin Groups. I usually use them to categorize my wants. So I have an Alice in Wonderland list, an Animal Kingdom list, a Figment list and so on. Here's an example http://pinpics.com/cgi-bin/group.cgi?group=5653 You could do that for owns too. I have seen someone who uses them to show which pins they have in what area of their house. You do have to manually type in the Pinpics number to make the list, but it's easier than typing the info in an outside program.

wow did learn alot, i may PM to ask more questions.....pinpics is a must! i cant imagine collecting without it. As stated once all your pins are in just go to my pinpics on the left and choose edit my collection (i check trades and wants also) then scroll all the way down and press search and wala there are all your pins and if they are traders and then your wants...up in the left corner u can choose to view in picture format or written. I am gonna use that group option HOPEMAX.

That said, last year I took my collection list, displayed it using the text only option. Cut and pasted everything into excel, cleaned it up a bit. Added categories of what book/frame it's in, and what category is it. Like is it part of a series or group. My Dad did a similar thing, but he has Microsoft Access and did it in there. My excel file is already severely out of date though, because it is easy to click links on Pinpics when you get a pin, it's not so convenient to type it into the excel file. Plus, when I come home from vacation, I usually have a couple hundred pins to add, and I don't feel like it.

I have also created an access database to store my pins.
I think I initially took my Pinpic list and copied to an Excel sheet and then converted to Access.
Since I have other pins I can't rely soley on pinpics.
The DB has columns for description, PinpicID, link to pinpics, attachment for picture, date and location of purchase, and where I can find the pin (frame or book)

The trick is keeping up to date with the information. IE moving from book to frame, changing frame, etc.

I just created my own pin group for some specific pins I am looking for... and I have to say... This is the best thing I could have done!! LOL. It is so easy to look and find the pins easily. I can remove them from wants and add to owns all in one screen without having to go to multiple lists. This is fabulous.

Next task... Edit my collection....

When you get the go ahead, please let us know. We would love to use it I am sure!!!!

Vicki

I made an iphone app for tracking/collecting hidden mickey's and vinylmations but Disney won't let me publish it. I'm still trying but they are a pain in the arse to deal with. Strict "NO"'s are all I get.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back