• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

Am I doing something wrong?

Am I doing something wrong?

CrashMyParty

One Dynamite Gal
Rating - 100%
89   0   0
First and foremost, I don't intend for this to be a "woe is me, my life is so sad, feel bad for me" kind of post, I pose this question with all seriousness: Am I doing something wrong?

To clarify: I haven't been trading as much recently, not because I don't want to, just because things seem to not work out most of the time I try to set things up. Decline after to decline or even just no response (although I don't take that offensively or anything because I realize some people may get a bunch of requests and it's a pain in the neck to reply to every single one, even the no thank yous. Just a bit disappointing to check my emails and not have a single reply when I send out like 40 requests...)

I posted a couple trading threads and threads for pins that I want, and I get little to no response. And when I do get a response and try to work something out it usually ends up not working out. I send a lot of requests to people for pins I'm interested in on their wants list/trade requests, it'd be nice if someone would propose a trade to me for once.

And the last few auctions I had didn't have any bidders. Had to close early due to no interest. And I thought I was offering pretty nice pins...

Overall, just a bit bummed by the repetitive "I'll pass", "I didn't see anything at this time, sorry" and the no response whatsoever.

So I ask with all sincerity: Am I doing something wrong? Am I missing something? Is something wrong with my traders? Do I come off as a mean person?

Again, I don't mean this thread to be a pity party. I really am just wondering if I'm missing something here. I do my best to be friendly and fair, but is there something else? Please let me know if you have any comments. Thank you.
Caroline

tumblr_lvmao9ANTL1qii6tmo1_250.gif

Everyone goes through this, even people with loads of good pins to trade. So the first thing you need to know is that you are not alone. :)

However, it is difficult when you are just starting out because you don't have the "pinventory" that other traders may have. Most often the reason why newer traders encounter this problem is that their wants list doesn't match up with their trades list. To put very simply, if your wants list is full of harder to find LE pins and your trades list is full of lanyard and booster pins, you're going to get nowhere fast. :(

The best advice I can give is to just focus on building your collection. If you want to progress in this hobby you will ultimately have to spend money at some point. There is just no way around it. To start out you either need to buy the pins you want or buy nicer/newer pins to trade for what you want, but that isn't always easy because other people continue to buy as well. Also, it is unrealistic to think that you will be able to get that HTF LE 500 pin you are looking for in exchange for a brand new LE 500 that is readily available. Older pins have had time to appreciate. That is why I tell new people to buy for their collections first and wait for the trading later. As time goes on you will decide there are some pins that you don't really need anymore and your traders list will build itself.

First of all, trading online on the whole is wayyy down. I only make trades once in a blue moon- especially compared to 2007ish.

I think several things contribute to this: rising postage costs and fear of trading seem to be the main two.

Fear of trading- I think this is basically a fear that, if you trade a pin away, it will suddenly spike into a super rare and valuable pin. This has actually happened a lot in the last 5 years, with pins like the "Jessica As..." series, and is the only thing I can come up with for why people are holding on to pins like grim death.

It's basically like a game of reverse chicken- instead of charging at each other, we're clutching pins in corners, warily eying each other across the country...

Postage hikes explain themselves- every pin that's traded online is costing you an extra $3 or so off the top. This is why I tend to try and trade only multiples or really rare pins online- try and get as much bang for my postage buck as I can...

Do you think you're offering pins of equal value/trading level? If so, it's probably not you...it's just an overall tendency not to trade anymore.

Last edited:
Everyone goes through this, even people with loads of good pins to trade. So the first thing you need to know is that you are not alone. :)

However, it is difficult when you are just starting out because you don't have the "pinventory" that other traders may have. Most often the reason why newer traders encounter this problem is that their wants list doesn't match up with their trades list. To put very simply, if your wants list is full of harder to find LE pins and your trades list is full of lanyard and booster pins, you're going to get nowhere fast. :(

The best advice I can give is to just focus on building your collection. If you want to progress in this hobby you will ultimately have to spend money at some point. There is just no way around it. To start out you either need to buy the pins you want or buy nicer/newer pins to trade for what you want, but that isn't always easy because other people continue to buy as well. Also, it is unrealistic to think that you will be able to get that HTF LE 500 pin you are looking for in exchange for a brand new LE 500 that is readily available. Older pins have had time to appreciate. That is why I tell new people to buy for their collections first and wait for the trading later. As time goes on you will decide there are some pins that you don't really need anymore and your traders list will build itself.

Plus, what she said :)

Don't get down on yourself. I have high and low's when it comes to trading. It's just patience and finding the right person with the right pins that wants yours. Ya know? Chin up! :)

Don't be discouraged, I think I have some pretty good traders and it seems like lately I can't make a trade to save my skin. I get offers for lopsided trades, turn downs for what I'd consider good trades and it does get pretty frustrating sometimes. But it comes in circles and when it happens - watch out - the offers will start and you'll be so busy trading you will wonder why you ever felt discouraged. That just the way pin trading goes. Sometimes I go to an event and make a trade just to be able to say I made one and sometimes I go and have trouble keeping up with all the trading. It keeps life interesting, unpredictible and exciting. Pin trading is just life on a smaller scale.

the pinventory is really a good point. You have 2 pages of traders, thats a great start. I am lucky if I get 2 pages of pins up for trade. But you have lots of very nice wants, and not near as many low LE traders for comparison.

What Erudolf suggests about working on colling more than trading for now is excellent. Also, take a look at picking up some decent pins via purchase to use for trading. Look at other peoples wants, Thats how I often do it. I pick up a few pins I know someone wants. Like orange birds, or DLRP character pins, or trains, and use those to "target" traders whom I know have pins I want.

Example: I knew someone who had a grail of mine. they collect aladdin. I picked up trains for someone who had an aladdin pin and traded for the aladdin pin, then traded the aladdin pins from multiple other trades for my grail. see? but it took tiiiiime. **sigh**

I feel so much better knowing I'm not the only one in this boat. Just wondering - am I still considered a "new trader"? I started online trading in December, signed up here in January and I've been trading the the parks for years. Not that I consider myself a superior well experienced super trader or anything, lol

Thank you all for taking the time to reply though :)

After tons of rejections, I finally just made a trade on pinpics :) getting rejected so much, it is really exciting to have a trade work. You learn to appreciate it more and enjoy it :) patience is key.

We were able to work out a trade, so don't worry! I get like that sometimes, too where all I get are a bunch of "no thank yous" but occasionally I'll get a really great trade :D

I know I've got a fair amount of rack/HM type pins on my traders, but I'd never send a request to trade for an LE 150 for a HM or something. I have some LE's and nice pins too though.

I agree, I am defiantly trying to build up and vary my trades to pins that appeal to different traders.

I feel so much better knowing I'm not the only one in this boat. Just wondering - am I still considered a "new trader"? I started online trading in December, signed up here in January and I've been trading the the parks for years.

I have been trading for like two years and still feel like a "new trader" lol.

The thing about pin trading is that everyone is into different characters and themes that they collect, so even a pin that seems great and awesome to you might not seem the same to others (in regard to bidding). As far as pinpics trading, its a hassle, it dosent work most of the time, you are not the only one recieveing zero feedbacks and no trades. I think as far as the overall experience it is just a matter of taste for pins, I learned that you have to mix up your traders and buy stuff that might not appeal to you but will appeal to others for any trades to occur. I remember when I first started (Like a few months ago...lol... speaking like an old timer here)... I used to get upset about it and forgot the fun in it!! Now I'm all about it being fun and if something doesnt work... oh well!! Just remember pin trading is supposed to be fun and its a great way to meet people and make friends... I focused more on making friends and connections for the part and the pin trading comes along with it :)...

I think this is partly why pin "auctions" became so popular -- some people just like to trade -- they like to see that LBE come in the mail and the excitement of opening the package -- whereas a trade or sales thread explicitly states what you're trying to get, and some people may not have what you're looking for/not interested/etc.

I'm still new, so I can't speak to the trading part, but what I've observed around here with auctions is that even if it's a nice pin, that isn't always enough. It has to have a broad enough interest that a lot of people will want to bid. For example, I don't like holiday pins, or most pins with writing on them, and I've seen a lot of other people say the latter. It might be a gorgeous pin, it might even have a lot of wants vs. trades on pinpics, but there do seem to be trends around here with what's popular, I've noticed.

Disneypirate seems to be an exception with his chain auctions, because of his mysterious points system for participating. :) I've bid in his auctions for pins I don't particularly want, just because the whole scheme is so fun and interesting (and because there's usually a highly sought-after pin at the end of the chain). Goofy_Moe also does other interesting things with his auctions. I'm not suggesting you have to do a big thing like that, but just pointing out how in that case there's something else that sparks interest besides a nice pin. It seems like the auctions that do best either have a fairly broad appeal, or a gimmick of some kind.

Goofy_Moe made a great post about running auctions in someone else's thread here: http://disneypinforum.com/showthread.php?15825-To-auction-or-not-to-auction&p=203487#post203487

I've never run one (I hope to soon), but it sounds like good advice to me.

Back