• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

Am I entitled to a refund?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Am I entitled to a refund?

Stitch2814

#1 Kevin Fan
DPF Charter Member
Rating - 100%
163   0   0
Hey everyone just a quick question..

I recently purchased a pin off ebay on May 27th and I have still yet to recieve the pin. Which is almost 5 weeks to get to me in Ireland, where as I have purchased other items (thundercat toys and another pin) from the states and they have all arrived here before the other pin.

I have asked for a refund as it never takes 5 weeks for stuff and seller seemed really pissed towards me for asking for a refund. But when I have not recieved my item. Am I entitled to a refund?? (I think I do)

thanks.

You are certainly entitled to a refund, if you do not receive your item. If the seller is not forthcoming, you can always open a case against him. Although you do need to check what his auction terms and conditions are, some sellers will say that they are not responsible for overseas packets that go missing - Im not sure where that would leave you. Ebay can always advise you.

What's most important though is that there is a time limit for opening a case, so check that out, if you miss the deadline, you wont be able to claim.

I hope this helps somewhat, and I'm very sorry to hear that you've had this unfortunate experience.

Maybe give it just a little more time? I sent a trade to someone in the UK once and it took about 5 weeks to get there! I was just about to offer to return her pin to her. Other pins have taken less than a week. Next time I was at the PO I asked about it and they told me it probably got held up in customs.

If you don't receive the item then you are definitely entitled to a refund. It is 100% up to the seller to make sure item arrives. Hopefully you will get your pin but if not and the seller won't voluntarily provide a refund then you can file a claim.. Then it is on them to prove that you received it, not just that it shipped.

Pixie dust for a happy ending for you....

I think give it a little more time. I know you have been waiting for ages but some packages do take a long time. If the seller does not respond, file a complaint through Ebay and PayPal. Whats this seller's feedback like btw?

I have until next week to open the case so reason why I asked for a refund now as next week is cutting it close. Its a shame as the seller had 100% feedback with 20,000+ sales and the seller seems quite upset that I have asked for a refund.

As I was typing this the seller reluctantly send me the refund with this reply -

I have just sent you a refund as a Courtesy to you. I have done nothing wrong here, your payment was received and I sent your package. I have my Customs receipt & Postal Receipt. I believe I will Stop shipping International packages now. I can not afford to be out my Pin and my money now. It is not fair to me. I am better off shipping in US only. I am sorry your package has not arrive but please understand this is not any fault on me. It is a shame that I am blamed for the Postal Service or your Country's Customs.

-------------------------------------

Im just happy I got a refund now.

If you don't get a refund I would at least open a case so that if the pin never arrives you have a case to go back on. I had a situation where the seller was really nice and I had purchased pins from him before so when the pin never arrived he kept telling me it was being shipped, I gave him the benefit of the doubt. But the pin never arrived. He then offered to send a refund but that never came either. By that time and it was too late to open a case so I was out the money and had no pin and I could't even leave negative feedback because that time had expired as well.

I learned my lessen that day. Fortunately I was not out much money.

International orders can now be partially tracked via USPS.

The label number on the customs forms, that usually starts with LC and ends with US at least shows when a package was mailed.

And then depending on the country, sometimes the package gets scanned in at arrival too. I had few trades with France and some were scanned in at delivery and some not although my trading partner acknowledged receipt.

That is very little useful info though.

At least you got a refund. I'd file a neutral rating at least as it doesn't appear to be the sellers fault. Makes me wonder if the pin will turn up now though.

I want the pin to turn up as I would prefer to have the pin than the money as crazy as it sounds haha just a shame Ive waited 5 weeks for it to turn up and stuff I bought last week turned up yesterday from the states. So by that assumption I think its lost.

I would have probably done the same -- i would have hated to be out on money _and_ the item if i had waited too long to file a claim. glad everything worked out (even if begrudgingly on the seller's side)

I like how the seller states they've "done nothing wrong," but didn't use Registered Mail to track the shipment. It sucks, because Registered Mail is almost prohibitively expensive and can chase off business, but it's a must in my opinion if you're selling internationally on eBay. It's a choice between charging more for shipping, or choosing to make more sales overall at the cost of exposing yourself to this kind of problem. Personally, after losing hundreds of dollars in internationally-shipped product a few years ago, I can't imagine choosing the latter.

-JDG

I believe the seller's note to you was nice and he did refund your money...you didn't have to file a claim. He deserves more than a neutral and in no way a negative because more than likely, that pin will arrive at some point. JMHO.

I wouldnt say the note was nice as this seller seemed annoyed when I asked about when they shipped it etc.

I will be leaving positive as the seller did everything they could to try an resolve it etc just with the amount of stuff thats arrived here from the states which were purchased after the pin and I came to the conclusion its lost.

I thought the note was unprofessional. As a seller, it is his/her responsibility to make sure the package gets to the customer. However, I wouldn't give the seller a neutral because he/she did give you a refund. A neutral on eBay is the same as a negative and negatives/low stars hurt sellers. Hopefully the pin will show up next week and you can just resend the money so everyone will be happy. :)

i have a block on my ebay site and I still have international bidders asking me to sell to them at times. I wish you could see my blocked bidders list activity log because it stays full of international buyers. I just don't want the hassel that is involved with international sales...not just the ones where the pins don't arrive like above. Things such getting quotes on cost to different countries, custom forms to be filled out by the seller, requests from buyers to mark items for less or as a "gift" so their custom/taxes will be less, explaining questions from the post office such as "is this jewelry?-that country doesn't allow jewelry to be shipped in"...or else, "no tracking can be obtained, and it's going to cost $85 to send it registered mail"...!! It's really not worth it to me, and then to have someone notify me that the items has not arrived??? (How do I know if it arrived or not?) And on top of that, to risk having someone give me a neutral or a neg after I refunded them their money and shipping cost because I might have not sugar-coated my reply to them good enough? Don't think so....

I have enough trouble with the USPS here in the USA. I ALWAYS get delivery confirmation and a pin I sold off eBay actually stopped in a certain town and didn't move for 4 weeks...I refunded the buyer and the pin showed up 2 weeks later (as info provided thr the DC number). I never heard from the buyer again and it was too late to do anything...no, I can have enough problems just selling here.

All this problem will lead to is that sellers will eventually stop selling abroad, or else, sell to those who are willing to pay for the registered mail delivery fee and increase the actual purchase price by a lot of extra money. This is just my opinion.

I sent a pin to Germany a couple of months back USPS Priority mail & it took 6 weeks to arrive while another pin I sent there at about the same time took under a week - shipped USPS priority also. I think some shipments just get held up in customs (considerably) longer than others. I bet your pin will arrive at some point - very few actually get lost!

i have a block on my ebay site and I still have international bidders asking me to sell to them at times. I wish you could see my blocked bidders list activity log because it stays full of international buyers. I just don't want the hassel that is involved with international sales...not just the ones where the pins don't arrive like above. Things such getting quotes on cost to different countries, custom forms to be filled out by the seller, requests from buyers to mark items for less or as a "gift" so their custom/taxes will be less, explaining questions from the post office such as "is this jewelry?-that country doesn't allow jewelry to be shipped in"...or else, "no tracking can be obtained, and it's going to cost $85 to send it registered mail"...!! It's really not worth it to me, and then to have someone notify me that the items has not arrived??? (How do I know if it arrived or not?) And on top of that, to risk having someone give me a neutral or a neg after I refunded them their money and shipping cost because I might have not sugar-coated my reply to them good enough? Don't think so....

I have enough trouble with the USPS here in the USA. I ALWAYS get delivery confirmation and a pin I sold off eBay actually stopped in a certain town and didn't move for 4 weeks...I refunded the buyer and the pin showed up 2 weeks later (as info provided thr the DC number). I never heard from the buyer again and it was too late to do anything...no, I can have enough problems just selling here.

All this problem will lead to is that sellers will eventually stop selling abroad, or else, sell to those who are willing to pay for the registered mail delivery fee and increase the actual purchase price by a lot of extra money. This is just my opinion.

I totally agree! I'm so scared to sell internationally on ebay because you just don't know who you are dealing with, and ebay doesn't encourage enough communication for me to feel comfortable with opening my auctions to international buyers. On forums I have shipped internationally many times with people whom I've posted with and can call friends, and whom I can count on as far as communication. I still get nervous shipping internationally, but I try to when I can since I know it's not always easy for those out of states to collect certain items. I won't open myself up to the stress on ebay tho.

I think the seller could have been more professional in their response, but at least glad to hear they gave you the refund. Hope your pin turns up though, as I know it's got to be disappointing to not have the pin!

IMHO, the note the seller wrote to you was very unprofessional. If you were face to face with him/her in a place of business and he/her said these things to you then they would be spoken to by their supervisor. The customer is always right. You paid for your item and it didn't arrive in a timely manner. Priority International shipping is ridiculously expensive and for the amount of packages that are actually lost really not needed. If it was me, when I was leaving my feedback I would leave positive but I would not give 5 stars and I would put in the explanation that the seller was "rude and had to return money due to lost package". Again, this is just my opinion, but if this seller didn't want to deal with overseas bidders they should have never allowed people to bid, not taken it out on you once a package got lost or delayed.

Hi Everyone!
I just thought I would jump in here with my experience as an eBay seller of over 11 years. :0) Tho I mostly sell Club Penguin items and my daughter's clothes, I have sold several pins over the years!

First off, it is not common, but I have had several items take 6 to 7 weeks to go from Florida to overseas. Tho as I mentioned ~ not common ~ it does happen. And this makes both buyer and seller extremely nervous. If your seller has a very good feedback record, please work with your seller. I can not tell you how much I have appreciated the kindness of my buyers ~ Communication is so key to all of this!

And if you are a seller in question ~ again communicate ~ and be kind! It helps so very much in the long run! We all want the same thing in the end ~ the buyer to receive their pin. :0)

Also at the same time ~ Buyers ~ do not be afraid to start a case thru PayPal ~ that is why the system is there ~ to protect the buyer. You can leave a case open for a long time ~ at least as the buyer it gives you the opening you need while waiting for the pin to arrive. From experience, may I just ask you give this time. When the date is nearing to resolve this, you then can complete your claim.

In 11 years, I have only had one item never show up and that was to France. And that is even extremely suspicious because the Postal Customs person I talked to was able to verify that it was delivered thru the French Postal system. But I still lost that case. However, one case in 11 years lost ~ that is very good if you ask me. :0)

Buyers ~ may I please add that if your seller has been kindly communicating with you, please leave them positive feedback ~ nuetrals and negatives and low star ratings really hurt sellers more than you know. It is very hard to be a great seller! :eek:) There are many things we just can't control. :0)

One more thing ~ US people, don't be afraid to sell overseas! :0) My overseas bidders have been my best bidders ~ I send the majority of my items overseas anymore ~ (we US people must not have any money! LOL! ) :0)

Ok ~ I am done! Best Wishes to all. :0)

You need to open up a case with PayPal within 45 days. Open one up and you can close it later on if the pin shows up. If you don't start the process within 45 days you'll be out of luck.

"As I was typing this the seller reluctantly send me the refund with this reply -

I have just sent you a refund as a Courtesy to you. I have done nothing wrong here, your payment was received and I sent your package. I have my Customs receipt & Postal Receipt. I believe I will Stop shipping International packages now. I can not afford to be out my Pin and my money now. It is not fair to me. I am better off shipping in US only. I am sorry your package has not arrive but please understand this is not any fault on me. It is a shame that I am blamed for the Postal Service or your Country's Customs".
Some see rudeness in the above message, but I see frustration...

What happens when your pin arrives and you have left bad feedback remarks, or else you "ding" his stars on the sly? - I know that I would feel really bad if I were the one penalizing this person because of a note... (I hope everyone here realizes that even though eBay assures all buyers that the ratings (stars) they leave a seller are not revealed to the seller or are anonymous, eBay has made it possible for any seller to use his own seller reports to find out exactly who dinged their stars, what star was dinged, and how low it went down, and that is a good way to get on a seller's BBL.

If you feel that this seller did harm you in someway, or is crooked, or was "rude" to you, then by all means leave him appropriate feedback and teach him a lesson.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back