• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

Another weird/scary email from china!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another weird/scary email from china!

UFGators1234

DPF Charter Member
DPF Charter Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Got the same email, started to correspond with the guy as I thought he could have been a DPF member (Boy was I wrong to even THINK that), and he told me "US$2.00/pc". Thats when I figured out that this guy was shady. Then he sent me the spreadsheet of pins and said "US$.38/pc". I was also pretty scared because it said that the email came from (I don't want to say the email address) "David to David". That's weird. It seems like he's hacking something to make it like it is impossible to trace the trail he is leaving with his IP adress etc. He also included a fax #, phone# and website.

AND AS I AM TYPING THIS: I get an email from him stating that I can get these for $.38 a pin if 500 are purchased, and it has a spreadsheet like we are used to, with #'s identifying each pin! Thses pins include the scrapper vinylmations, plus I got tthe other emails too :/ tA-1.2.jpghA-1.3.jpgi1102.jpgs1113.jpg.A-1.1.jpg

Last edited:
What the heck is up with all these scary e-mails trying to sell people scrapper pins!? Is it always this bad or have they been e-mailing people more this week!?

This is getting very concerning! Tiggermickey posted a link to Disney just for this sort of thing, so it should be referred! It must be getting near Christmas hence the increase in e-mails?? These scrapped pins shown are not new, I've seen them about for a while - even supplied by a variety of sellers on the auction site in large quantities

I made a comment previously about it not looking like it is from China. This is from china and what I was explaining.
They number the pins with their warehouse numbers and now you can see the prices are what I mentioned, not $2.00 a pin.
And no, this is not out of the ordinary.

They have just found this new site so they are bombarding everyone they can to find buyers. How else would you think they find buyers?
A pin site of course and i will guarantee you there are at least 2 out of every 100 people on this forum who will buy them too.
Thats the real scary part.

I don't want to post the contact info that was at the bottom of the email right on here (Whoever is curious on exactly what it is can PM me) but the # did look like it was from China. The email stated it was located in Shenzen, China, and the website they have even has word "China" in it. It is scary that people would even buy from this person, but heck some people will which is disheartening.

Thanks for posting this! We never received this email from "David" with his $0.38 pins. We just received the 2 emails he sent with his "Good LE Unit" pins that he wants $2.00 each for. Okay, so this all from that same "David" guy. He's just a scrapper seller who is getting more "creative". Great, this just seals the deal on this guy's reputation and those questionable WDI/DSF/DLR pins. :(

They have just found this new site so they are bombarding everyone they can to find buyers. How else would you think they find buyers?
A pin site of course and i will guarantee you there are at least 2 out of every 100 people on this forum who will buy them too.
Thats the real scary part.

They may have just shot themselves in the foot with this gang - both the seller and potential buyers. :nono:

Just hearing about all this is making me exhausted. I HATE that they are completely selling fake/replica pins. It disgusts me that people try to pass these off as REAL Disney pins and makes it SO difficult for us collectors to enjoy our hobby.

BUT I don't know if I mind so much if they just make up their OWN pins. (Like the Kevin Mother's Day one) They can be cute and if they are obviously not Disney I would not mind collecting some of them.

My question is how do they get email addresses? I have not received any of the emails and I am aware of the scams, so I would not be tempted to even deal with them, but how do they target who they pick???

^^^ That's exactly what I was wondering. I never have received any emails and I certainly am NOT complaining as I wouldn't be tempted to deal with him/them for even a nanosecond ... but how exactly does this 'David' (and other sellers like him) decide who to send solicitation emails to? And how does he/they get email addresses?

They dont get through to everyone but think about this, most of you have a screen name and your email address at least for the site is your name @disneypinforum.com

Its not that tough. How do you think we send email to each other and also get notices at our real email address. It is easy to obtain this information.

Whenever I register for forums, I always indicate that I do not wish to receive emails and make my email address private. That must be why I never have received any of these emails - or get any notices, for that matter. However, I never made the connection between the two ... and that makes so much sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back