• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

Are you interested in a HM counterfeit identification project?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are you interested in a HM counterfeit identification project?

hopemax

DPF Super Moderator
Staff member
DPF Super Moderator
Rating - 100%
202   0   0
So I mentioned in the Resolution thread, and now also in the "scrapper solution brainstorming thread," that I have been wondering if there was interest in a community project to identify counterfeits and scrappers.

I have noticed that when I have a fake and an authentic pin in my hand, there is usually some easily spotted characteristic to identify them. A wrong color, a backstamp in the wrong place, misspellings, etc. But without having them both, it can be a shot in the dark. You might see "backstamp is smaller on the fake" on Pinpics, but it can be hard to know if yours is the smaller or the larger. There are also a bunch of pins that have the warning on Pinpics, but there is no description to explain the markers. And I think some of the Global CM series, which is the first series that the fakes were out simultaneously with the official release, but before the emails with the pictures started floating around, so not all the pins even have the "warnings."

I was thinking that a database of pictures, front and back, would help. My thought, was to have a thread for each year's release, one thread for DL, one for WDW. In each thread, people could (ideally) post pictures of both side by side. But even if you did not have both, you could post a picture of what you thought was fake. Or what you knew was real (maybe you bought some in a HM pouch or caught a CM refreshing). Since, I think the HM pouches and the ones in the refreshing packs come from different factories, it could also help identify differences that do not necessarily make a pin a fake.

Thoughts?

Count me in!! This is something that I've been mentioning here & on previous forums - sort of like a Wiki"Pin"ea
awesome idea.

we could possibly set up a pin wiki, but wiki article markup is quite confusing, so unless we have specific authors (as well as us, the mods) capable of managing and reviewing new articles, it would be a rather ambitious project.

a thread covering releases for each year + discussion here in the comparison forum could be stickied, though. just to make it easier on everyone. If a wiki were to happen, the old thread data could easily be copied and pasted over and formatted for the wiki.

With the new 2011 HMs about to come out (most of which I want), this would be vital and extremely important. Please count me in! I'll help in any way I can, including with articles, pictures, or anything else you need.

Also love the idea! But why stop at HM's? I say let's have a resource to post pics of ANY fake pins we receive. I have a few that I've received over the past few months and would love to post pics of the front and back and list other characteristics of the pin so others can be on the lookout. What do the rest of you think?

I'm glad to see so much interest. I also figured if this went well, it could be expanded to any of the pins that are on those scrapper email pics and other counterfeits.

I guess the question is, should we do this as threads? Or will our site administrators add a wiki package to this site? I have done a little wiki markup stuff, not a lot, and not for a few years. But like Cicada said, we could start with threads and then build the wiki later.

I'll start taking pictures of the couple pairs (fake/authentic) that I have. I also can take pictures of the DL series 1, 2, 2.5 ones that I have because when I collected them, it was pre-counterfeit nonsense. I'm not sure if Series 1, 2 have counterfeits. I know 2.5 does, but I'm not sure the first set of fakes were associated with the Chinese factories, or someone else seeing a "profit making opportunity," a la the older counterfeits (Wet Paint, first WDW POM, etc).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back