• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

Cheap pin display idea (Img heavy)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cheap pin display idea (Img heavy)

Disnerd1989

New DPF Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I have always displayed my favourite pins on a large corkboard and the rest have been in folders and in bags..

I hate the look of pins directly on cork boards, so I have the main part of the board covered in black paper and the frame spray painted black and it looks a lot more presentable.

I have decided to display a lot more of my collection now so I went to the craft shop today to get paint and black pages to decorate the 5ish A4 cork boards I was going to buy later this week (I only have enough wall space for several small boards, and not for one big one!)

I found some foam/card boards instead. They're foam in the middle and hard card on either side. Like this:

attachment.php

They were only 1.45 each, so I bought 3 to try them out and decided I'd go get more if they did, or go back for the paint and paper if they didn't.

I've tried it out and I think they look pretty good on the board.

attachment.php

(Sorry, I don't know how to flip pictures)

The only problem I have is that the foam is just a little bit too thin, so the pin still out at the back

attachment.php

But this can easily be fixed by getting a sheet of craft foam the same size as the board and sticking it to the back... Or, use a coloured sheet of craft foam that is slightly bigger than the board and it might make a nice border are it.

On my last visit to Orlando, I spent a huge amount of money on Disney paper crafts with the intention of making a scrap book of our holiday once I got home. Unfortunately, an (ex-)member of my family who was with us, is an alcoholic and he completely distroyed our holiday and it is now something I would much rather forget. So, obviously, I decided not to make the scrapbook. So now I have had a ton of disney stickers, embellishments, etc. just sitting in a bag in my room for the past year. It's about time I put them to good use..

This will be my board for park and attraction pins

attachment.php

And this, of course will be my Donald Duck board

attachment.php

I am very busy with exams and assignments, so it may take me a few weeks to work on these, but I will post the finished results when I am done.

I hope this was helpful to someone!

Feel free to post your own affordable display ideas!

That is really cool, mine are on a plain cork board too I was thinking about doing something similar with two seperate ones, purple and black for the evil queen and old hag.. then green/yellow for Tink :)

That is really cool, mine are on a plain cork board too I was thinking about doing something similar with two seperate ones, purple and black for the evil queen and old hag.. then green/yellow for Tink :)

Oh I hadn't thought of colour schemes based on the theme. I usually just go for black because it makes the pins stand out more. That sounds like it would look really good though, especially the evil queen one!

Yeah black does make things stand out more :) I was even thinking about adding some glitter somewhere on the Tink one for the Pixie dust.

Yeah black does make things stand out more :) I was even thinking about adding some glitter somewhere on the Tink one for the Pixie dust.

Oh good idea. I might have enough Tink pins to dedicate my own board to her. If I do that, I'm stealing your idea!

The only thing to watch out for with that kind of foam is that it's a brittle foam. It doesn't have any resistance and won't really work to hold the pin in there. I used to use that kind, but found that the pins were very loose in it. I've had more success with using cork and covering that with paper or another layer of soft, coloured craft foam.

I don't have pictures handy, but if you are crafty you can take a few more steps have a really nice display board. What you need:

Foam board, like you found.
Thin cork board (what I found was about 1/8 thick, and came in a roll like a poster)
Black felt (or whatever color you'd like for the pins you are displaying.)
Spray adhesive.
Double-sided tape

Cut the cork to the size of the foam board you want to use. Spray the entire foam board with the adhesive (it works like spray paint, but do it outside away from anything you don't want sticky, it tends to get everywhere. I lay it down in the grass and spray it there. :) ), and stick the cork to it.
Cut the felt to be about 2 inches larger on each side of the board, spray the entire surface of the cork with the adhesive and stick the felt to the cork board. Put some decently heavy items on it (like books or something) and just let it sit over night.
Flip it over, wrap the felt around the board, sticking it to the back with double-sided tape. That why there's no chance it will start to peel off, and it will cover the sides of the foam board/cork so you can't see them (especially useful if your foam board was white).

The black felt looks great behind the pins, the thin cork will solve two problems: The foam board being too thin, and the foam board having no strong resistance to hold the pins in place. Also, if you move the pins around, the cork will close up the holes when you remove the pins.

I went a step further and mounted all of this into a shadow-box frame I bought at Michaels. It's much better for sticking pins in vs the particle board used in the frames, and gets the pins closer to the glass (the shadow box frames are usually kind of deep).

Oh this is a good idea.
At first, I started with a pin bag then moved all my pins onto a cork board.
This idea is awesome :)

Intriguing idea-

I use cork but all my boards are painted brighter tropical colors with a black frame. The colors used to compliment their collections (Minnie was pink, Lilo Green) but they um outgrew their original boards (Minnie is now on a pink. orange, green and most of a yellow) I thought of doing black but with 20 various size boards on 3 of the 4 walls of a smaller room (we call it the pin cave) it would be far to depressing..

-em

I use two foam boards for one of my pin frames. It works out nicely, just be sure to to pull the pins off and on the board as they will not sit on the board. They become loose. I like the way you decorated the foam board! And nice vinylmation collection!

I have used foam board for 2 of my pin displays and I LOVE it. I really like your use of scrapbook supplies and the idea you had of getting a slightly bigger board of a different color as a border! brilliant! I have never had a problem with pins falling out, I do not move them once placed though and if I do rearrange I don't use the same spot/holes. Best of luck with your displays :)

Your pins look so nice against a dark background! I have to do the same, this thread has inspired me to go to Michael's this weekend and try this out :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back