• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

Counterfeit/Bootleg pins

Status
Not open for further replies.
Counterfeit/Bootleg pins

jdl

New DPF Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I'm a fairly new collector (my 8 year old and I are a team). I just recently added most of my pins to pinpics.com and I noticed that some of the pins I got from a cast member are either Counterfeit or Bootleg. I guess it's just the nature of the business these days, but it's a shame that people have to screw up a fun hobby!!! One good thing is that I can still enjoy looking at the pins...

I know how that feels. I've been collecting pins for awhile but I wasn't trading too much. I really started trading a few years ago. When I learned about scrappers i had a freak out and went through my collection looking for scrappers. I found a few including an le 300 scrapper that really bummed me out. Some of the scrappers that I had came from a seller on eBay (you've probably seen these people selling pin lots for $1 a pin). I learned my lesson not to buy from them ever again. Unfortunately these fake and low quality pins are everywhere and it's a part of pin trading. The more informed you are the better. If you're like me, I'm OCD about having the legit cast member pins. The people here at DPF hav helped me get the real deal and they can help you out as well! And I know what you mean about enjoying looking at the pins. They can still look pretty cool!

The amount of fakes that have entered the world of pin trading is very discouraging. My Dad has pretty much given up trading because of it. This is sad to me, because we used to talk a lot about pins, and since he is a WDW local, he would do a lot of trading for pins I needed, and I've lost that as a source. Since you are new to this hobby, you are probably not familiar with the former pin discussion board, Dizpins. They have several pages of pictures of pins that have been counterfeited.

http://www.dizpins.com/pinventory/scrappers.htm

And sadly, there are probably more that aren't shown. The pictures come from when the unscrupulous sellers do a mass emailing, and other pin traders receive copies of the images.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back