• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

Counterfeit DSF Christmas Box Pins?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Counterfeit DSF Christmas Box Pins?

crushedbubbles

Active DPF Member
Rating - 100%
68   0   0
Hey everyone...
I've been browsing eBay and I've seen these pins on eBay so much for the past few months...
pin93086

Pin 93086: DSF - Christmas 2012 Gift Box - Cheshire Cat

pin93087

Pin 93087: DSF - Christmas 2012 Gift Box - Zero

pin93088

Pin 93088: DSF - Christmas 2012 Gift Box - Jessica Rabbit

If you look at sold listings on eBay...
you will find that from May to August...

23 Cheshire's have been sold.
32 Jessica's have been sold.
22 Zero's have been sold.

Of the 23 Cheshire's sold, 12 of them were sold by the same seller. (If you want the seller name, I can PM you.) I have personally bought from this seller before, but not the Cheshire pin, but the pins I did receive were scrappers.
16 of the Jessica's were also sold by the same seller with the 12 Cheshires.
and Finally...
Zero was sold by the same seller 11 times of the 22.

Each of those pins had about half the pins sold by the same seller.

Now on to comparison....
Here is the pin the eBay seller has used as a stock photo to sell the 12 Cheshires
[
pin93086

The gold accents on the pin seem to be more shiny on the right one (Pinpics picture). Im not sure if it's the picture, but the eBay picture looks more silver than gold. On the eBay picture, Cheshire's stripes are more purple-pink than the ones on the right. The colors of Cheshire seem to be off a bit.

For Jessica...
jessicarabbitcounterfeit_zpsf77c9ea3.png
[/URL][/IMG]
pin93088

For the Jessica, her dress seems more red in the eBay picture than the Pinpics picture. Also, her sleeves are a bit different in color between the pictures. In the ebay picture, her hair looks almost the same color as her Santa hat, but in the pinpics picture, you can see the variation in color.

As for Zero, the pinpics picture is just concept art, so I can't really compare at the moment...

Please comment below to let me know what you think? Am I just being paranoid or is this really some counterfeits coming into play?

Thanks!
Erika​

Well, if you find out please let me know cause I bought a Cheshire and Zero. Can't remember the sellers name but compared my Cheshire and the one I have looks like the one on the right of your picture.

I have noticed these box pins from several questionable sellers as well and in repeat auctions. What worried me the most is that some of them seem to have the cellophane wrapping which used to be missing in the past.

I can not prove it 101% right now, but looking at the sellers offering these pins on Ebay, I am sure that this series joined other poor DSF pins that are getting mass produced as I type these lines :(

It helps a lot if you can compare the counterfeits and authentics side-by-side, but right now I don't have a way to do this.

Last edited:
Ok, this is not the best, but will have to do until we can find them side by side.

Both of these pics were copied from Ebay. The one I think to be authentic is from a well known Cali seller who is also a member of this board (I think). The one I suspect to be counterfeit is from an infamous east coast seller.

The differences in Jessica's face are so subtle that I can not say 100% that it is a fake or a production difference.

jessica_zpsc286bb93.jpg

I can see that in the suspected counterfeit her eye brow is slightly longer. The line inside her ear is different, and also the mouths are different. Usually the fingers make a good indicator for counterfeits. In these 2 pins, you can see that the left one (I loosely called it "real") has better defined fingers.

I usually do not compare colors from pictures as camera settings and light conditions usually differ.

Last edited:
Selen, thank you so much for doing that. I really appreciate your input! :D I wish we could get a side-by-side pic for pinpics.
It's hard when you don't have an authentic and real one in your hands...

Are the known fake pins from the known fake seller coming on DSF cards that have the right SKU price tag and number on it? If yes, anyone have comparison photos of the card's back?

I have those three pins that I bought directly from DSF. If anyone wants me to take a picture of them and post them on here for a comparison, I can do that. However, it will have to wait until I get home since I'm at work right now :sad:

I have those three pins that I bought directly from DSF. If anyone wants me to take a picture of them and post them on here for a comparison, I can do that. However, it will have to wait until I get home since I'm at work right now :sad:
That would be awesome! Thank you so much :D

Okay y'all. Sorry about the delay. I was really sick this weekend and couldn't look for the pins (cuz I couldn't move). Today I'm a lil' better and was able to look for them. I took two pictures of each (the best ones I could take) with as much natural light as I could get (without getting too much crazy glare).

One picture is to see it from the front and the second picture is to see it at an angle (so you can see the different type of paint used).

Here we go!

Jessica

r2w2v5.jpg
rh5mvd.jpg

Cheshire

23rkg0w.jpg
24fxrib.jpg

Zero

2a8g8w8.jpg
20fqfs1.jpg

If you notice there is uneven paint, dips, and spots on the pins but that's how most of the pins at DSF are. I have yet to find a 100% perfect perfect pin. Not that it's not out there, but I just haven't come across a pin that I have found super PERFECT. You can also find the same problems on the PTD's.

So these are 100% legit since I went there myself, stood in line for HOURS, and paid for them all :)

Hope the pictures helped somehow.

Not much help, but here is the picture of my Jessica which came directly from the DSF.

IMG_5258_zpsad137db7.jpg

Thank you both for the pictures! I am anxious to see what the eBay sellers looks like to compare, but it's hard to compare just looking by pictures of their auction stock photos. :( Although, they have sold so many, it's crazy.

Yes. There's something fishy about that. And I've also found a seller that constantly sells the same pins over and over and by looking at the pictures on their listings, you can totally tell they are scrappers. Some of the feedback is negative and it states that the seller sells scrappers :( We just have to be very careful.

I want to know who this seller is too because I plan on buying a Jessica Christmas Box pin. Ugh, it's so hard to pick out counterfeits from pictures online. I try so hard to buy from collectors; but even then not every pin is going to be in pristine shape.

I do go and ask about suspicious pins that I KNOW have something wrong with them, especially when a seller insists that they are in new condition. I don't like that- someone is gonna get burned buying a pin without really paying attention. But I haven't reported anyone yet. I'm a little scared to, even though I really get mad about it.

Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back