• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

Display ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Display ideas?

tw1080

New DPF Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
So I've managed a semi-hostile takeover of the spare bedroom. I'm putting a squashy loveseat in there and a nice reading lamp, and claiming it as my space for reading and generally being left in peace (in my house, a book or Kindle in my hand is apparently the universal sign for "bother me"). We've called this room "the cave" for a long time, due to my husband's unfortunate paint choices (the walls are dark charcoal gray). It worked well for editing photos in there though. I am planning to turn this into my own "cave" with a place for all my Disney stuff. I was wondering if anyone had some ideas for pin display. Currently we have a book, and 2 smaller (2'x3') cork boards we use, but I was looking for something larger than those cork boards. I have found that the really large cork boards are VERY expensive though! Can you buy cork in large pieces and frame it yourself? I've seen rolls of cork, but they seem very thin, and more suited for backing coasters than putting pins into. Any suggestions?

I'm a big fan of layering cork underneath coloured foam and framing that. You would have to use multiple sheets of cork for thickness and maybe size depending on how big your frames owuld be, but to my mind it looks nicer than just cork. Here's an older picture of one of my collections (it's missing a couple pins I have now) to show what I'm talking about...

DSC06792.JPG

If you don't mind exposed cork, then it's relatively easy to find affordable, decoratively framed boards at places like WalMart or stationary stores. Personally I'm not a fan of exposed cork and prefer something a little more aesthetically pleasing. A really nice touch would be to pick up some of the gilded frames with the hidden Mickeys that they sell at the Disney Gallery for their matted posters.

Depending on what your collections are, you could also go for more themed shadow bozes, like the one person on here who did a Haunted Mansion shadowboz with cobwebs in it.

I have used a spray adhesive to make sound panels for years on construction projects and though I have not used it yet for pin backing, I can not see why it wouldn't work. I plan on using this when I can get my *stuff* together and put something on the wall I would not be ashamed of. The steps I would go through would be.
1. Find a frame you like
2. Find fabric that you like ( the width of you fabric would be the only bounds to your frame size)
3. get a backing board to fit. This could be cork or that great corrugated plastic you can get from a sign maker.
4.Spray the backing material with the adhesive and lay the fabric over it and roll it down to get any wrinkles out of it. Stretch it slighty as you go and leave enough extra that you can roll it around the edge of the backer and a little to secure it on the back.
5. Mount the board it the frame.
Shut the door, read, and enjoy!
I would use this or the 3M Spray 77. Look at their website for more choices.
BlobServlet
3M™ FoamFast 74 Spray Adhesive
A fast tack adhesive available in an orange and clear formula. Its high content of adhesive solids provides high coverage.
It quickly bonds many soft foams and fabrics. The non-dimpling glue line provides an ideal bond line for many upholstery applications. Its variable valve provides a precise spray pattern width of 1" to 4".
Common Uses:

• General upholstery foam bonding
  • Bonds fabrics to foam, wood, plastics, metal or fabrics
3M™ FoamFast 74 Spray Adhesive
A fast tack adhesive available in an orange and clear formula. Its high content of adhesive solids provides high coverage.
It quickly bonds many soft foams and fabrics. The non-dimpling glue line provides an ideal bond line for many upholstery applications. Its variable valve provides a precise spray pattern width of 1" to 4".
Common Uses:

• General upholstery foam bonding
  • Bonds fabrics to foam, wood, plastics, metal or fabrics

I plan on doing this exact same thing with my Mulan collection. I just need to take a day to go to Chinatown in NYC to find the right fabric.
And I forgot to mention, you may want to do this outside or in a well ventilated room...or not if you want the buzz.:nono:.
Let us all know what your finished product looks like.

I bought a massive canvas in a book store and painted it like the underworld for my hades pins and did the same for my hercules pins. you go to the right shop and canvas is pretty cheap plus it doesnt damage pin back

JoAnn Fabric & Craft Store sells larger cork boards, and they have regular 40% off coupons and sometime's 50% off coupons (usually around holidays). If you time your purchases, they can end up being very reasonable.

I have used canvases in the past and they're really good for pins as they naturally allow room for the pin backs. As Mary-Lou says you can paint them-or not as you'd like to. I would recommend this for completed collections as obviously once holes are made in the canvas, it can be unsightly if you then move pins and they show.
Otherwise I use cork boards that come already covered in felt - the best ones I got were from evilBay as some cork boards can bow under the weight of pins :facepalm: but these have a plate at the back keeping them strong. Then you can use fabric or anything else you like to decorate as fabric glue will even then stick paper on to the fabric.

I have used a spray adhesive to make sound panels for years on construction projects and though I have not used it yet for pin backing, I can not see why it wouldn't work. I plan on using this when I can get my *stuff* together and put something on the wall I would not be ashamed of. The steps I would go through would be.
1. Find a frame you like
2. Find fabric that you like ( the width of you fabric would be the only bounds to your frame size)
3. get a backing board to fit. This could be cork or that great corrugated plastic you can get from a sign maker.
4.Spray the backing material with the adhesive and lay the fabric over it and roll it down to get any wrinkles out of it. Stretch it slighty as you go and leave enough extra that you can roll it around the edge of the backer and a little to secure it on the back.
5. Mount the board it the frame.
Shut the door, read, and enjoy!
I would use this or the 3M Spray 77. Look at their website for more choices.
amFast 74 Spray Adhesive

I really like that idea! We have a sign shop locally too that makes the kind of signs you're talking about! I didn't even think of that! Thanks!!!

I have used the cork that you buy in rolls. I tried the spray adhesive but the cork tends not to stick very well. I then tried contact cement. It works great. Just make sure you buy the ordeless one. The other type emits a fume and takes along time to dry and air out. Also the fumes tends to cause the cork to stretch. I then bought fabric to cover over the cork on some frames and it looks great and easy to change when your mood does. I made one board 3 foot by 4 foot and made a frame using cedar 1x4. It turned out great. The rolled cork can be purchased at home depot for under $2.00 a ft. I have bought some shadow box frames at Michaels and used the cork to put the pins into. I also know that one never paints the cork and it looks fantastic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back