• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

DLR DLR Pin Trading Night (no ? about PTN pins) 3/28

Status
Not open for further replies.
DLR DLR Pin Trading Night (no ? about PTN pins) 3/28

Jrgom81

New DPF Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Hello everyone, I had a question about the upcoming PTN at DLR this Friday. My wife and I are going to the event, and its our first Trading night, and we were wondering how it works. Are there tables set up, or do you just sort of float around the room talking to people?
Im a bit shy, and honestly a bit intimidated about the night, really worried im going to be had by some of the "Sharks" ive been warned about before.
Any suggestions or insight on how these events work would be greatly appreciated.

Jimmy

The event starts at 5. people will be lining up in the hotel lobby around 3-4pm. Its says not to line up prior to 1 hr before, but rarely do they FULLY enforce it. There will be big round tables set up throughout the room. you can either set up or roam around. They most likely will also have preview boards up for the next 2 -3 months. Don't be afraid of anybody. Your best bet for success is to go in with a game plan. Make a list of pins you are looking for. Research your pins and the ones you want and know what the current values are. Never be afraid to say no or hear no. it is not the end of the world! Also and the biggest thing of all, HAVE FUN!!!!!!

thank you & thank you for the link for the thread as well, i had no idea about that post. Thank you

It doesn't always start at 5pm.

I was there for the PTN in January, and at 1pm the doors to the "restaurant" opened.
We asked a CM when they would start handing out wristbands, and he said 2pm, which was correct in the end (I've heard at previous PTN's it was much later).

Sales of the PTN pins start at 6pm.
The wristbands were not "first come first serve" once the restaurant was quite full, they just started to hand them out, 1 color in every corner (or so it seemed to me).

When you get one, you can leave and come back when the sales start (make sure to be on time).

There are tables, you eather place yourself at one, or you take your stuff and move around the room :)

It doesn't always start at 5pm.

I was there for the PTN in January, and at 1pm the doors to the "restaurant" opened.
We asked a CM when they would start handing out wristbands, and he said 2pm, which was correct in the end (I've heard at previous PTN's it was much later).

Sales of the PTN pins start at 6pm.
The wristbands were not "first come first serve" once the restaurant was quite full, they just started to hand them out, 1 color in every corner (or so it seemed to me).

When you get one, you can leave and come back when the sales start (make sure to be on time).

There are tables, you eather place yourself at one, or you take your stuff and move around the room :)

I believe you're talking about DLRP. For DLR it does start at 5PM and they kick us out at 8PM. Most people continue trading nearby the hotels or at the park after though!

The event starts at 5. people will be lining up in the hotel lobby around 3-4pm. Its says not to line up prior to 1 hr before, but rarely do they FULLY enforce it. There will be big round tables set up throughout the room. you can either set up or roam around. They most likely will also have preview boards up for the next 2 -3 months. Don't be afraid of anybody. Your best bet for success is to go in with a game plan. Make a list of pins you are looking for. Research your pins and the ones you want and know what the current values are. Never be afraid to say no or hear no. it is not the end of the world! Also and the biggest thing of all, HAVE FUN!!!!!!

+1. If you only have 1 or 2 pin bags, it might be better to roam around so you can actively search for pins you want. If you stay at a table, you have to wait for others to come to you. If you have 3+ heavy bags, then you might want to try to get a table to save your shoulder/back some strain.

First, figure out how you want to trade. You need to value your pins somehow. Whether it is just by what you like more vs. less (prepare for shark bites!) Or like Lucan's post, going by edition size (a few,) original price(almost no one, maybe some Europeans,) ebay sales (majority,) Pinpics Trades/Wants (more than a few, less than majority.)

Just know that, of the people that park at a table and trade, probably 75% trade off eBay sold prices or what they think in their head is the going value. 25% trade off eBay listed prices or something higher than eBay sold. And maybe 25% will trade off what they actually want, by trades/wants, or who knows what. So it is always handy to have eBay up and running and check what/if the pin has sold recently. If you are worried your pin is worth more, just check your pin too.

Other than that, if you aren't feeling a trade, just say no thanks. If they were trying to hustle you they may offer you more or just move on to the next person waiting to see their books.

Don't be discouraged if people don't want anything you have, it happens. I only made 2 trades my first PTN and there have been PTN's where I didn't trade at all.

If a shark smells blood, ie a trader who doesn't know the true value of their pins, they will try to figure out what you like and then throw low value pins of that genre at you. That is typically why I always reply the the question "What do you like" I say "everything!"

The other thing is to figure out your most valuable pins, and see if they instantly go for those ones. If you ask for a pin that is very valuable, some will let you know they think so and then point to your most valuable and act as if it isn't worthy. They may say "Well, I like this one, but not for the pin you want." You can try to find another pin they have, but if that is your best pin, you should try to keep it for something you really want. Granted, your best pin may only be a rack pin or a LE worth $20, but if you're unsure, check eBay. Or find a third party that doesn't have an interest in the trade and ask them what they think.

I can't make it this Friday when will Disney do Friday night 7 to 10 or Sunday 5 to 8 again if anybody is going to be at Pin trading night can you ask anybody who works there and tell them to bring the original times again

I am pretty shy person myself when it comes to trading. I know it can be intimidating and my first time going to PTN I had the same concerns you did. There is some great advice here already. I'd have to agree with Mark. Know some values to some of your pins especially the higher end ones. I check Ebay for the listings that have ended and sold so, I can get an estimated value on the pin. I also check trade/ want ratios on Pinpics so I can get an idea how wanted some pins are. Narrowing down what your looking for is a great idea. My first time at PTN I wanted to trade for everything. Now I just look for specific things more so for my main collection which is Sleeping beauty and, Maybe a few things for my secondary collections. As for weather you want to sit down or browse around? Well, I guess it depends on how many books you bring it can get heavy. I usually browse around. Then setting some where later if I get tired. Overall just have fun. Sharks are always going to be swimming the waters but, if you just don't feel comfortable with the trade you can always just say no thank you. Also, don't be afraid to get opinions. I usually go trading with trusted friends and I always ask what they think. Sometimes, I just like to have the opinions of others. Hope you have fun at your first PTN. See you there. :)

When will pin trading be a Friday night 7 to 10 or Sunday 5 to 8 if anybody goes pin trading find out if they're going to bring those back the times can't make it this Friday

Also, don't be afraid to ask someone what dollar value they think their pin is worth. If it last sold for $35, but is listed (and not selling) at $50 and they say anything from $45-$65+ I'd just walk away. People who overvalue their pins are just wasting your time. Kind of like the people on Facebook that list pins for higher than they've ever sold on eBay, and knowing they don't have to pay 10% eBay fees. I mean, come on. But if someone says their pin is worth $35 and it last sold for $35, you can pretty much trust they are being honest. If they add 10% on top of the last ebay fee they are trying to get the upper hand. If they say 10% less than the last eBay price or even lower, then you have found someone decent. A lot of people won't know either. It's a pretty big mix of veterans, newbies, and in between.

I have also found, that people with full on peacock lanyards but have almost nothing in their trade books are just trying to trade up to add another peacock show-off pin. If they hardly give you the time of day, just keep walking. They think only BT's, Gomes, & other grails exist and are worth their time. People with peacock lanyards and STILL have tons of pins in their books, probably have been around a while and know what they are doing. Peacock & no traders to me means they just want to belong to something so they buy/trade up to show off and think that earns respect in the community. With some it may, with others they are just a flash in the pan or a target to sell to in shady Hollywood back alley deals. lol If they have $1500 worth of Ariel on their lanyard and about 2-3 pages of DSF/DLR/WDI mediocre crap, just walk on. They probably want to try to trade a bunch of pins up to some Ariel pin they've been wanting and unless you have some Ariel pin that isn't on their lanyard, you're probably better off moving along. Now, chances are they have a side collection, you never know. But eh, just move on, unless they have someting you REALLY want in their book. Then just ask them to look at yours and see if anything interests them. (See if I'm right.)

These are just opinions too so take it for what you will, but I also find at DLR PTN's this usual set up. People are creatures of habit For fun let's say to room is 18 sections with a table in each, 6 tables wide by 3 rows deep, There are doors by S2 & S5. The preview boards are by S15-S16 ok. Get your bearings. I find it kind of goes like this...

S1 S2 S3 S4 S5 S6
S7 S8 S9 S10 S11 S12
S13 S14 S15 S16 S17 S18

S1 will be a hidden mickey trader & Vinyls, S2-S3 will be ok folks kind of a mix, S4 will be a bit harder trader but trades can be had and older pins found, S5-S6 will be mid-level traders that are ok traders, some Vinyls.
S7 will be vinyls & people who overvalue their pins, S8-S9 will have some sharks, S10 will be people showing off but not doing much trading, squatters, S11-S12 will be a lot of action, mix of people not many grail-level pins though.
S13 will be people who know each other well and only trade with themselves, tough crowd, S14- older traders that value hard but can be ok traders, some Grail hunters/peacocks, S15-S16 are peackocks & grail hunters, people looking for VHTF pins only, S17-S18 will be mix people with newer folks near S18. Usually DPF people are all over, but the usual crowd seem to be around S14-S17. Also any one section may flow directly over 1 space.

Does that make sense? Probably not, It has zero factual evidence to back it up. I'm sure a shark could be in S6 just like S17 or S1 who knows. I have no idea why I think that, but I can picture the faces of people, their pins, and the trades I've made throughout the various PTN's I've gone to and it just seems that way. Anyone will trade with anyone if the trade is right. So don't be afraid to ask. Also, I find you can get really good trades after PTN in the hallway as people who just want to trade anything will trade. They also stick around, and as always, if you build rapport trades flow easier. The people who settle in the bar area of the hotel are usually experienced DPF'ers with lots of pins. Last time we had a French couple join us and we did lots of great trading well into the night.

It does get warm. Bring a small water bottle if you can. Also, it's super crowded. I carry a large backpack and it's a pain because there is ALWAYS someone behind you. If you don't want a table, just come leisurely after 5pm. If you want a table, the line will start to form before 4:15pm probably.

Anna PTN pin will be the "it" pin, also the WDI princess hall pins. PTD's are still hot and as always Rapunzel, Ariel, BT's, Gomes, etc. So I'm sure you'll see a few books with "the goods" layed out on top enticing people over. PTN's are a great place to see rare pins and to assess if you really want the pin or not. I've seen a few LE100 Tink's I don't want that bad after seeing in person.

One warning... NEVER take your eyes off your book if you pins are just pushed into cork. I garauntee you there will be pins stolen at the PTN. It happens EVERY time. Especially watch for guys 15-30yrs old with long sleeves on. Yes I am stereotyping, but they are the ones that seem to sneak a pin up their sleeve when someone's not paying attention. Just a friendly warning to all. They are not all crooks, but just be vigilent with long sleeves and twitchy attitudes.

Lastly, just have fun! Take pics, note the pins coming out that you want and their release dates! See you there!

So sorry you can not make it on Friday. I think I was an able to go to the last one because of my work schedule. I could ask a CM but, I have a feeling they probably will not change it back. I'm guessing this time just works for them?

I was trying to go to this one because I have never been before. I had a question about the pins released for that day: do they come out in the morning when the park opens or are they on sale only when the event starts? I'll have to move my work schedule around one way or the other....

I was trying to go to this one because I have never been before. I had a question about the pins released for that day: do they come out in the morning when the park opens or are they on sale only when the event starts? I'll have to move my work schedule around one way or the other....
They sell the pin only at Downtown Disney Pin traders the day of. I believe at 8am

Wow....this is at the end of the week...okay, now I'm getting kind of excited...

I went to my first one the last time dlr had one of these and while a bit intimidating at first, it quickly dissolved into ecstasy as I was surrounded by a bunch of traders who were all very nice and I came away with some great trades to boot! Plus, I continued trading afterwards in the halls of the hotel, the bar down the way, back in the park, and finally, on the way back to the hotel. Lol traders everywhere! Have a great time! I'll be there in all orange Giants gear wth probably the only Giants lanyard at the event so feel free to come say hi if you see me!!

Ahhh cant wait!!!!

To the person who asked about them changing back to 7-10 pm, it's been 5-8 pm for the past year or so. I don't expect them to change it, I think they want the pin traders out and not cluttering their hotel when the hotel guests return from their day at DLR.

last ptn a shark bit the lanyard off my neck! blood spilled and Then I was surrounded it caused a feeding frenzy. I left with all my good pins gone and a bunch of scrappers.

Would anyone be able to tell me how early people tend to arrive for pin releases like this? I'm pretty new to pin trading but my sister really wants the Anna pin for her birthday and I have no idea how early I'd have to get there to have a chance at actually getting it. Any info would be helpful, thanks!

Would anyone be able to tell me how early people tend to arrive for pin releases like this? I'm pretty new to pin trading but my sister really wants the Anna pin for her birthday and I have no idea how early I'd have to get there to have a chance at actually getting it. Any info would be helpful, thanks!

Everywhere I've read on Facebook, people are saying 5:30 a.m. or 6 a.m.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back