• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

DLR Pin Trading Night

Status
Not open for further replies.
DLR Pin Trading Night

Mischiefmanaged

DPF Charter Member
DPF Charter Member
Rating - 100%
146   0   0
The next DLR Pin Trading Night is sooooooo far away =[
May 6 - 7:00 pm - 10:00 pm at the Pacific Ballroom at Disney's Paradise Pier® Hotel

WHAAAATTTTT!!!! what is with DLR!! no ptn's!!! That is such a shame on them!! methinks the team there is NOT into trading at all!! what happened to " we are running it the SAME way as WDW"? again WHAT IS THE SAME??? I can tell you...
IT IS ABSOLUTELY NOT THE SAME AT ALL! it is WORSE!

I wont get into it but they should be catering to the pin collecting community.
Man! WDW has it soooo good. And for us local to DLR, they are even down to 4 barrels at westward ho.
New management or not, this is not right.

Thank god for DPF and PinPics or I may never get good trades.
Shows are fun and for me they are a social event where I see all my pin friends (ok, and som frienemies...lol)
You all know you love to hate me.

MORE PTN'S

Probably because they have the Alice unevent to coordinate in April.

Remember, since Steven Miller left, there's a new group of people trying to deal with pin events - so I for one am willing to cut them some slack and give them the time on the learning curve that they need. Right now they're juggling a lot of stuff they're trying to get done before the September WDW event.

March is dealing with Sci-Fi registration. (DLR)
April is the Alice un-event. (DLR)
May is a PTN. (DLR)
June is the Sci-Fi event. (DLR)

I really don't think of that as leaving us high and dry on the pin front. And I don't think giving the new folks some learning curve time is unreasonable.

Thanks for putting things into perspective (at least for me). I was going to jump in with my own complaints, until you mapped out their upcoming hectic schedule. I am still bummed, but hey, it's Disney - they'll get the ball rolling soon enough for us pin traders.

Last edited:
Probably because they have the Alice unevent to coordinate in April.

Remember, since Steven Miller left, there's a new group of people trying to deal with pin events - so I for one am willing to cut them some slack and give them the time on the learning curve that they need. Right now they're juggling a lot of stuff they're trying to get done before the September WDW event.

March is dealing with Sci-Fi registration. (DLR)
April is the Alice un-event. (DLR)
May is a PTN. (DLR)
June is the Sci-Fi event. (DLR)

I really don't think of that as leaving us high and dry on the pin front. And I don't think giving the new folks some learning curve time is unreasonable.

All true but how hard is it to hold a ptn?? once a month or every other month? WDW manages to do it why can't the DLR team??
Knowing the reaction I got from the dlr team when they told us they were running the ptns the same as wdw ptns, THEY DONT CARE and won't find time.

What if we all showed up on a Friday night and stood in line like the good old Sunday mornings. When the Disney officials
came to ask why 200 people are standing in line we can all jump out of line a do a GLEE thing and sing a Disney classic?

Oh, a Flash Mob. And at the end of the song, we can all to the tada thing and yell "Remember us? We are pin traders!".

What if we all showed up on a Friday night and stood in line like the good old Sunday mornings. When the Disney officials
came to ask why 200 people are standing in line we can all jump out of line a do a GLEE thing and sing a Disney classic?

Oh, a Flash Mob. And at the end of the song, we can all to the tada thing and yell "Remember us? We are pin traders!".
ROFLMAO !! coffe on the screen again lol! I would love to do that!

Just taking a guess but: probably they have to jump through hoops to coordinate an available date with multiple departments/locations/employee availability/cost-revenue calculations/product release schedules, etc.

What if they originally had, say, five people coordinating with five other people to regularly hold PTNs? And what if eight of those people are now gone and two people (in different departments likely) are trying to do what ten formerly did along with all their other job responsibilities that have higher priority, deal with more customers, are a higher priority to new people in charge that never worked with pins before and see them as 1 of 947 product lines and wonder why resources are being regularly provided for something that is a very very very very small percentage of the business of consumer products, parks, hotels, hr and any other lines of business affected.

I don't know what goes into a PTN and neither does anyone else here. But it's not as simple as waving Tink's wand and making it happen. It's probably more work and multi-unit coordination with less people (and less experienced people with more responsibilities) than we have a clue.

Again, I'm willing to cut them some slack.

Complaining is not going to inspire people to do more for pin collectors and I wouldn't be surprised if it inspires them to throw in the towel entirely. Whereas positive response and positive reinforcement for what they get right may get more accomplished.

I'm not being Pollyanna - I'm just saying attacking the CMs and the company is not likely produce better results.
I know hanging head but I need to vent. it is all slowly circling the drain and speeding up it seems especially since timm was let go! It has never been the same! we all spent way more money back then! and would probably do so now except for the way they are treating dlr pin traders lately!

I have to say that although I help organize a pin trading event once every other month in Nor Cal, I can imagine it being some what more detailed for Disney.

Their rooms are usually reserved for shows, events and weddings that they really have no control over, and I will tell you that if they get someone asking to pay money to rent one of the rooms, they will take it. So marking a date on the calendar could be tough for them, because of the lost opportunity to rent it out to an outside source.

Now, with that said, I must say that the organizing of it takes a special kind of person. It is not easy and it takes time and a lot of effort. I know at the end of the day, at one of our trade events, I am exhausted!

I will say though, that it is different for me, because I do not do it for a paycheck and I don't do it because I am told to. I do it because I like too.

If I lived anywhere near Disneyland, I swear I would offer my services for free to schedule and coordinate these pin trading events. I seriously would. I know I can do it, and I am very confident in knowing there would be people on this forum who would be willing to donate a few hours a month, just to make sure things were scheduled proper ply and up to Disney standards.

(Trust me, once you plan a wedding with 300 guests, by yourself, you can do anything!) lolol

Anyway, there are ways Disney can improve, but my thought is, at least they are still trying. They may be trying for different reasons than I am, but they are trying. Nothing is usually free, so Disney needs to be sure they re-coup any costs this would incur. I am sure it does, as I feel confident that I am making someone rich with all the pins I buy. :)

Again, just my two cents worth, that in this economy are worth nothing.

Vicki

My two cents: I am also disappointed that we are not having PTNs every month (except for July/November/December), and DLR has been treated in many ways like WDW's "red-headed stepchild" for quite some time now, so I am glad we finally have one scheduled and will take what I can get, so to speak.

I love the idea of 200 of us showing up, lol! Makes me remember the very first PTN--DLR, not knowing how large a group would show up, gave us a smaller room in the DL Hotel. Not only were people lining up outside--AFTER everyone stampeded in--after the few hours they gave us, people were still trading out in the hall, not wanting to leave (it was a Sunday afternoon). They gave us larger rooms after that! Good times, good times...

Maybe I find the person who took my baggie of all my pin backs at the January PTN and get it back... :sad:.

Hannette

I have never been to a PTN...does it cost anything and do you have to like sign up or anything. I would love to try and go to one!

WDW manages to do it why can't the DLR team??

Ummm, actually...

We haven't had a PTN since December. March is currently the only one on the books. So you guys have had one more recently than we have. That's a 3 month gap, and we have no idea what we'll be facing after March.

Reenie - It's free, and there's no signup. They basically just open a ballroom with chairs and tables for pin trading use for a few hours. Sometimes they have trading boards, and they (always?) have displays of upcoming products, but beyond that it's a pretty simple event with about a half dozen staff members with lanyards walking around / keeping the peace. It's very loose on structure.

I'm pretty disappointed they can't find one night, even during the week, to host a PTN. On one hand, yes, space at DLR hotels comes at a premium and I imagine we have to compete with paying rentals of the available rooms. But seriously, just throw open a room on a Wednesday night or something. There's no way that space is booked solid on weekdays. We did without trade boards last time; we don't need product previews; and it largely just comes down to having water, initial set-up of tables / chairs /tablecloths, a few staff members, and clean-up from there. I have a pretty deep background in event marketing, and while I', always hesitate to utter the words "It sure looks easy from here"... It just really, really does. These are not tough events to run. It's too bad they don't tap community members to help out with what set-up does go on, too (or can't for liability reasons), as I'd imagine there's no short supply of people willing to help.

-JD

Well I'm going to be in Washington DC for my nephew's graduation the first two weeks in May - so no PTN for me!

Man, I wish it was one week later...I'm coming in for a conference right across from the Parks...D'oh!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back