• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

DSF Brave pins & ebay

Status
Not open for further replies.
DSF Brave pins & ebay
But I disagree about your use of "worth". If people pay $200 then it is indeed worth $200. Buyers set the market, not sellers. There's no judgment in that, on any sort of intrinsic value of a pin. Just that what someone will pay for something sets its worth or value at that price.

Not necessarily....these pins may or may not hold their price. People sometimes buy out of desperation because they have no other choice other than to go without. In a way it reminds me of gas prices. Demand is down and supply is up and yet the prices are higher than ever. Why? Because they can. They know people need it and they are putting the squeeze on them. Similar with pins even though nobody needs a pin. People know that collectors really really want these pins and in desperation will pay more than they normally would or more than they actually think they are worth because there is no other source to turn to.

I think a great solution would be for DSF to have all of their pins be surprise pins :) They announce them on Facebook, the word spreads out, and people head over there at different times! That's just my opinion, though. OR they could have a 6am line-up time, not too sure how that'd work out though!

I still think it would be bool if they did it like the Cubs would sell tickets. You pick up a numbered wristband prior to the release then on the morning of the release they randomly select a number and that is where the line starts. But....it doesn't really matter to me I guess because I have nowhere to stand in line at. Plus that probably wouldn't help the prices but at least people wouldn't have to go to outrageous lengths to get pins.

In the end, we're screwing ourselves...

Sadly, that is true. But trying to get pin traders to all act together is like trying to heard cats. And when you get down to it we are just a bit nutty and get desperate and tend to overspend even if it isn't worth it. So all it takes is a few strays to hit that BIN button and the panic flood gates are opened. And in full disclosure I am guilty of being a stray from time to time. :(

Don't worry Erica, I got your set! You're going to love these pins! :)

Thank you!!!! You are awesome!!!!!!!!!

It is unfortunate that people dont all get them. Keep in mind though, there are 2 types of ebay sellers. The ones your thinking of who bring their entire family to buy 6 sets, and make a huge profit, which I agree, they suck....

and the others, like me.. We sold just enough of our second set to cover our cost of both. We cannot afford pin trading otherwise.

Please also remember, that those pins being bought for an arm and a leg on ebay are being bought by other collectors, who cannot get to the event, or dont live nearby. Some are even being sold to over seas collectors.

Mark up: yeah, its crazy... No i dont defend the prices such as last months Tangled PODMH's. But, double the price or maybe a bit more, lets do the math.

lets use simple math, I only had one cup of coffee.
$16.00 pin. x 4 pins (yeah, the bears are 3 pins at 19, close enough.) = $64.00 a set.
How do you value your time, over night, outside, in a Hollywood alley where bums have been known to sleep and pee (yup, pee)

This release people started at 10am. Lets round up to a more average time, say 2pm? Thats 19hours standing/sitting/waiting for the release the next day. Even at the average times in the past, say 6pm, it is still 15hours. Plus cost of food/drinks while there.

If a seller sells the set at double price, so, 128 total, they are getting paid very very little for their time and effort to get pins out to non-locals. So, if people online are willing to pay 80 for one of the pins, why wouldn't they? It certainly covers their costs, pays them for sitting in the alley, and lets them keep a set for themselves for trade or collecting.

I know, its not what you want to hear, i am sorry. For those DSF releases I cannot attend, I feel crappy about missing them too. I feel horrible about missing WDW or DLRP releases as well. But you notice, those pins when low LE's are marked up significantly as well. It isn't just California people. And many of those high priced Tangled PODMH's are shipping from Florida, not here in california. Please don't be angry at us when it is everyone.

I for one disagree with you 110%. It's shameful that people put money over friendship. And since DSF is now the only place to get low limited edition pins, the people in California has a distinct advantage over those of us who live in Florida. We don't have a DSF, WDI, Mad T Party, or a Carsland. We have a park - that's it. If you stand in line for 19 hours, please remember - IT IS YOUR CHOICE - and at least you had a choice to make. I would have to buy an airplane ticket, rent a car, AND do all the stuff you did. So you guys whine and complain about standing in line where bums sleep and pee, but at least you get to make the choice about the wait. We don't even get a shot at those pins. So hush your whining and complaining and be grateful that you can at least have a shot at the best pins being made. You are lucky and don't forget it.

Sadly, that is true. But trying to get pin traders to all act together is like trying to heard cats. And when you get down to it we are just a bit nutty and get desperate and tend to overspend even if it isn't worth it. So all it takes is a few strays to hit that BIN button and the panic flood gates are opened. And in full disclosure I am guilty of being a stray from time to time. :(

Word. See me, the evening of the Jessica Screen legends set. ::sigh::

erudolf said:
Not necessarily....these pins may or may not hold their price. People sometimes buy out of desperation because they have no other choice other than to go without. In a way it reminds me of gas prices. Demand is down and supply is up and yet the prices are higher than ever. Why? Because they can. They know people need it and they are putting the squeeze on them. Similar with pins even though nobody needs a pin. People know that collectors really really want these pins and in desperation will pay more than they normally would or more than they actually think they are worth because there is no other source to turn to.

I don't think you sell much on eBay. No one I know who sells thinks "hey they're desperate! I'll squeeze them good! " and twirls their mustache. The price is set by whatever the first ones sell for, and then usually drop down as other sellers try to out price the competition.

Scarcity of the pins (plus pinsanity) drives the price. I think it's a stretch to compare global big business and oil with a group of completely separate pin traders selling pins.

In the end it doesn't matter either way- the prices are what they are.

Yes, I know I am one very lucky pin collector/trader . But I am collecting most like the hinged books for traders at the September event . And I have not asked for every pin . I decided after today's release to take a break and leave some for others . I do want a few from July, and maybe August .
And yes very good point aleciadesu, as my friend was getting me a set and others were getting sets that had pre traded, but I still say over $200.00 is ridiculous for a $64.00 plus tax . You still choose to go for yourself, to sleep where the bum's pee, to pay the parking $10.00 and use the gas . I don't know, others can do as they like, but I was raised differently to help our fellow man or in this case fellow pin trader .
I never thought that a DSF Jessica Easter Egg pin at $14.95 plus tax & shipping , would get me a Beloved Tales Beauty And The Beast, but it's in my collector's/saved pins book .
And I want to add that I voluntarily send extra money and I just recently sent her pins on her wants list . Also at September's event, the early bird pin is the character she collects and she will be getting that pin . And I will buy any new pin that is of the character that she collects as a Thank You . Not because I'm asked because its the right thing to do .

Last edited:
swim2sea said:
I for one disagree with you 110%. It's shameful that people put money over friendship. And since DSF is now the only place to get low limited edition pins, the people in California has a distinct advantage over those of us who live in Florida. We don't have a DSF, WDI, Mad T Party, or a Carsland. We have a park - that's it. If you stand in line for 19 hours, please remember - IT IS YOUR CHOICE - and at least you had a choice to make. I would have to buy an airplane ticket, rent a car, AND do all the stuff you did. So you guys whine and complain about standing in line where bums sleep and pee, but at least you get to make the choice about the wait. We don't even get a shot at those pins. So hush your whining and complaining and be grateful that you can at least have a shot at the best pins being made. You are lucky and don't forget it.

So we should feel bad for living in the "home" of disney - California? Am I to be feel guilt for being a Californian? That privilege comes with highest taxes AND a high cost of living. It's also your "choice" to live in the state you live in- So your "stop complaining" cuts both ways.

I can see where excess complaining about actually getting the awesome pins you wanted would cause grief. But Pixie's post wasn't that- it was a defense and reasoning as to why Pixie set the prices at those levels.

And fairness doesn't come into play at all. This is the real world. You want it bad enough you are gonna have to camp out for 20 hours (which yes is insane) OR spend $200. It's rough but that's the situation.

+1000

I love this. First off, let me say that I don't live anywhere near the parks and I have no desire for these Brave pins.

But people need to get real. Life is not fair and subscribing to the idea that it is or should be is ridiculous. If I had wanted those pins then the realistic options were: I get there before 150 other people and camp out all night or I pay for the going rate on Ebay. That's it. That's how it works.

Tinker, I am sure that there were a few people there that used the pins for the sole purpose of profit, but I'm guessing the majority wanted them for either their personal collection, for their "dear sweet friends" like yourself, to trade for other hard to get pins, or to sell to fund their pin collecting habit. Whatever their reason, they got there early and did the work.

It's not worth being sad over.

And, like people have said 85 dollars for essentially 20 hours of uncomfortable work is kind of a steal. I know that my time is worth well more than 70 dollars...

Swim2sea:: snip quote:: "And since DSF is now the only place to get low limited edition pins, the people in California has a distinct advantage over those of us who live in Florida. We don't have a DSF, WDI, Mad T Party, or a Carsland. We have a park - that's it."

:squint: Correct me if I am wrong, but is there not a WDI store in Florida (on that I might be wrong)?Are there not Cast member stores in Florida? Do they not sell LE350's on DSUK? Are there not DLRP exclusives, DLRP Pin event pins? Are there not WDW exclusive pins? Do you not have 5 separate parks? Are there not WDW pin event exclusives that everyone wants? What about the fact that I have yet to see a single disney store in California malls that has pins? For that matter, what about HKDL's, and JDL, DCL, Tokyo Sea, Star wars week...

Shall I continue? There are plenty of awesome LE pins out there that are not DSF. You just have to find people to trade with. I would give my right arm to be able to enjoy 5 parks full of pins, many of which cannot be bought anyplace else.

And just for the record, I was not whining, I was replying to the OP. I never whine about something I or my husband chooses to do. Doesnt mean it wont factor in when people complain about mark up. :eek2:

Moving on. Because it is an LE300 pin makes people want it more. If it was an open ed, there wouldnt be a line, but half the people on here upset that they didnt get any would not want them at all if they were not LE's. Just sayin. :rolleyes:

PS: my edit: I may be of strong opinions, but I dont hold grudges. :) We can all feel however we want about this. I have no personal beef with anyone who has said anything contrary to my opinion on this thread. This is a debate more than anything else and at the end of the day I would still enjoy a beer with any of you.:hug:

Last edited:
The RSP is probably the best solution. It is interesting about all of the managers taking notes. They are probably thinking that this "problem" can't continue.

I didn't say you should feel guilty, but obviously you do or you wouldn't have said it. I like the weather here and moving here wasn't a "choice" if we wanted to make a living. We moved my favorite place in the universe, Texas, to Florida for employment, and believe me if we could have stayed in Texas we would have. So we really didn't have much "choice" in the matter. In Florida, we have the highest unemployment rate, the highest homeowner insurance rate and we have a high cost of living - oh wait - that sounds like what you just said. The point I was making was that those who live in CA at least have the opportunity to go to DSF, WDI, and the DLR. Here in Florida we have a park - that's it. I still think that charging a fellow pin trader and post partner $200 or more for a set of $65 pins is wrong - morally and ethically wrong. You cannot put a price on friendship, but yet people continue to try. I'll get the pins someday and I guarantee it won't be for my arm, leg, and left eye.

I don't think you sell much on eBay. No one I know who sells thinks "hey they're desperate! I'll squeeze them good! " and twirls their mustache. The price is set by whatever the first ones sell for, and then usually drop down as other sellers try to out price the competition.

Scarcity of the pins (plus pinsanity) drives the price. I think it's a stretch to compare global big business and oil with a group of completely separate pin traders selling pins.

In the end it doesn't matter either way- the prices are what they are.

1. I think you are reading waaayyyyy too much theatrics in what I'm saying.

2. I don't believe that is true at all. The price is being set by the sellers. The most desperate take it and then maybe the sellers start lowering the price. And the opposite is true, once some people see people buying they up the price.

The only way the supply/demand of the pins would be setting the price is if every listing was an auction starting at cost. THEN you would see what the buyers actually think the pins are worth.

Now, that's not to say that the price wouldn't naturally get to this level or pass it over time as with most other pins that appreciate. But the way this is going now....it is not "the market" at work.

karkura said:
The RSP is probably the best solution. It is interesting about all of the managers taking notes. They are probably thinking that this "problem" can't continue.

I would agree. Take the ever increasing "get there early creep" that has occurred at events. At the Pixar release what are people going to do (I won't be attending) get there THURSDAY for a Friday release?! RSP has its own set of problems to be sure, but perhaps it would be best.

That being said- I'd camp out again for 20 hours for the right pins. So either way.

:squint: Correct me if I am wrong, but is there not a WDI store in Florida (on that I might be wrong)?Are there not Cast member stores in Florida?

There is no WDI store in Florida. There is Company D which is a CM store in Florida, however many of the pins are now shared with DLR's Team Disney locations, and are not unique, nor in demand by CA traders. Most "unique to WDW" CM pins are LE1000. Most park releases are also over 1000LE. This makes the market for WDW pins pretty weak.

After buying our pins we talk to Ed the man the runs the DSF, and he was pleased with the wristband sysem. They are trying to make an agreement with the high school across the street to be able to use the football field and do BBQ's for future releases when school is out. He loved the wristbands and aside from the one incident of the man slapping the lady in the face he was pleased. It does not sound like they are going to change the line up system anytime soon.

IF I had decided to take two days off work to camp out for these pins, just the days off work alone would've cost me $275, then there's gas (which I can bet is much higher here in So Cal than it is in Florida), parking, food etc before even buying the pins (which nobody's mentioned DSF raising the prices on thier pins) so I'd definitely be getting a second set to either sell or I would want to trade for something to compensate myself for some of that cost as well as my time. I think if you are willing to wait for almost 20 hours on Hollywood Blvd to buy them, you can do whatever you want with those pins, you earned it!

And Swim2sea::"And since DSF is now the only place to get low limited edition pins, the people in California has a distinct advantage over those of us who live in Florida. We don't have a DSF, WDI, Mad T Party, or a Carsland. We have a park - that's it." DSF is different than Disney parks, no AP or Disney Rewards discounts on anything, WDI is cast member only, Mad T Party & Carsland are in CA Adventure park and they just raised the prices on park passes & Annual Passes so bad that they finally priced some of us out of there. Don't you think that some of us in CA would love to get some of the upcoming Circus pins being released at WDW & don't they release more of the PODM's at WDW than at DLR?

I sure miss the days of strolling into DSF on a Saturday night & being able to get whatever was released that day with no problem & that includes when the Tangled pins were released, I went back & got an extra Maximus a week later!

swim2sea said:
I didn't say you should feel guilty, but obviously you do or you wouldn't have said it. I still think that charging a fellow pin trader and post partner $200 or more for a set of $65 pins is wrong - morally and ethically wrong. You cannot put a price on friendship, but yet people continue to try. I'll get the pins someday and I guarantee it won't be for my arm, leg, and left eye.

Uh nope. I feel no guilt whatsoever for living in California or sleeping in an alley for longer than others to get pins. I've never charged a friend more than cost for anything. I'm fact nowhere did I mention or defend over charging friends. Now selling pins to some stranger over eBay for the going rate? That I'll definitely defend.

After buying our pins we talk to Ed the man the runs the DSF, and he was pleased with the wristband sysem. They are trying to make an agreement with the high school across the street to be able to use the football field and do BBQ's for future releases when school is out. He loved the wristbands and aside from the one incident of the man slapping the lady in the face he was pleased. It does not sound like they are going to change the line up system anytime soon.
Someone slapped a woman :eek: I hope assualt & battery charges were reported .
And I stand my ground, if you are going anyway and getting that 2nd set for profit . Think of your fellow pin trader that camped out there with you 19 + hours . I'm glad I was raised to get up on Sunday's and go to Sunday School and learn how you should treat others, the way you would want to be treated .

Last edited:
erudolf said:

2. I don't believe that is true at all. The price is being set by the sellers. The most desperate take it and then maybe the sellers start lowering the price. And the opposite is true, once some people see people buying they up the price.

The only way the supply/demand of the pins would be setting the price is if every listing was an auction starting at cost. THEN you would see what the buyers actually think the pins are worth.

Now, that's not to say that the price wouldn't naturally get to this level or pass it over time as with most other pins that appreciate. But the way this is going now....it is not "the market" at work.

Admittedly I was having fun with theatrics- sorry.

As someone who sells various thing on eBay and no others who do the same- I completely disagree on how prices are established. But that's fine. We don't have to agree. We just both have to pay high prices for a lot of pins lol.

:squint: Correct me if I am wrong, but is there not a WDI store in Florida (on that I might be wrong)?Are there not Cast member stores in Florida? Do they not sell LE350's on DSUK? Are there not DLRP exclusives, DLRP Pin event pins? Are there not WDW exclusive pins? Do you not have 5 separate parks? Are there not WDW pin event exclusives that everyone wants? What about the fact that I have yet to see a single disney store in California malls that has pins? For that matter, what about HKDL's, and JDL, DCL, Tokyo Sea, Star wars week...

Actually, there's not. As much as I agree with you in this thread, you are wrong here. :)

WDW is *weak* when it comes to pins. The few releases we have are pretty poor, art and character-wise, and usually in the high edition sizes. This week, with the LM PODM pins, is the first time I've dropped money in a longggg time at the parks, and most those pins were joint releases.

We get PTN pins (this year, but not every year), but they're not great, honestly. DLRP and DLR/Cali blow us out of the water. Even our pin event has been weak for the last few years, pin-wise.

Also, Tokyo is pretty dead, too.

YAY - I agree 1000+ You are absolutely correct.

Tinker said:
Someone slapped a woman :eek: I hope assualt & battery charges were reported .
And I stand my ground, if you are going anyway and getting that 2nd set for profit . Think of your fellow pin trader that camped out there with you 19 + hours . I'm glad I was raised to get up on Sunday's and go to Sunday School and learn how you should treat others, the way you would want to be treated .

Let's not go into the drama that may or may not have happened at the release...

But I will ask regarding second sets- what about the people that don't live nearby but are willing to pay to get pins? Shouldn't they have an ability to get them? Money equals time in a lot of ways.

(playing a bit of devils advocate, I'm just curious what you think)

I'm glad I was raised to get up on Sunday's and go to Sunday School and learn how you should treat others, the way you would want to be treated .

You don't have to be a Christian to be a good person- morals and ethics aren't religious. It's a common misconception.

Also, while it makes you an exceptionally nice person to give away your pins, it doesn't make you a *bad* person if you don't. Especially if you don't make a lot of money. My husband and I do okay, job-wise, but we're going to be saving for a new car (12 years, it's had it), and then a new house. Unless you are my close, personal friend, or you go to bat for me, I can't afford to let that kind of money go.

Actually, there's not. As much as I agree with you in this thread, you are wrong here. :)

WDW is *weak* when it comes to pins. The few releases we have are pretty poor, art and character-wise, and usually in the high edition sizes. This week, with the LM PODM pins, is the first time I've dropped money in a longggg time at the parks, and most those pins were joint releases.

We get PTN pins (this year, but not every year), but they're not great, honestly. DLRP and DLR/Cali blow us out of the water. Even our pin event has been weak for the last few years, pin-wise.

Also, Tokyo is pretty dead, too.

Thank you. Now maybe someone will believe me when I say Florida is not the place for pins.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back