• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

Ever accounted for ALL pins of a certain edition size?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ever accounted for ALL pins of a certain edition size?

kmeakin

New DPF Member
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
The thread on here about DLRP pins being individually numbered got me thinking... Has anyone in the pin community ever tried to account for all the pins in a certain run? Probably wouldn't be possible, they're not all members of any given forums... But it would be interesting to try to do. And obviously it would have to be a small edition, LE100 or less, I'd think. Not necessarily a numbered edition ("so and so has number 1, that person number 2, etc), just a list of names of all 100 people that have Pinpics number XXXXX.
I don't know why that would ever be useful, but it would be kind of fun to track the life of the pin - who originally bought it, then traded it to this person, who gave it to their neighbor, who traded it to their cousin, who gave it to their coworker who is currently one of 100 people that own it ... I don't know. Struck me as kind of interesting, that's all.
Back when there were more pins that I needed for my collection, I did a lot more trading. At one point, I had ended up with about 3 or 4 of the DA Tinkerbell "model sheet" pins (either got them for cheap on eBay or traded some traders for stuff I thought would trade better). I always thought it was interesting to think that I had 3% or 4% of that whole run of pins! I also now have the LE25 Goofy's Barnstormer framed set, but before I got that, I had managed to get just the LE25 Mad Hatter/March Hare pin from that set (which i have since traded away). So, for a brief time, I actually had 8% of that whole run of Mad Hatter/March Hare pins... Seemed like a lot. And I know now two of the twenty-five people that have the Mad Hatter/March Hare pin. Wonder who the rest are?
Hahaha I just reread this post! What a lame thing to think about. Am I the only one??? sheesh, I must be tired!! :ugh: :crazy:

Just checked it out, it is a cute idea. Too bad I didn't think of doing something like that before our trip to south America last year - a picture in front of one of the statues on Easter Island would've been pretty obscure!! :)
(ps - glad to know I'm not the only one who thinks of things like this!!!)

It would be neat resource to look at, but logistically would be hard (if not impossible) to compile I'm afraid. :(

You went to Easter Island?? :eek: Please show us some pictures! I would LOVE to visit there someday! :D

I do sometimes think... I have 1%, 2% or 5% of the pins from a certain run or have owned that much at some point. For example the Gaston Pin I had 4/150 so I had 2.6% of the total number of pins ever made at some point.

I think it would be impossible to ever do. Think of the people who go to the park, buy a pin as a souvenier then a few years later throw it in the bin because they don't want it. Pins get lost too :(

Nice idea, and if somebody ever did it then I would be very very very impressed!! :)

It's similar to the concept of the Where's George? website. People log in the seriel #'s off their US $1 bills and you can track where your $1 has traveled

This is why I really wish Pinpics would add the counts of people that have pins marked as owned. It still wouldn't be perfect and there would be some double counting between owns and trades, but that could really help in scrapper situations. It's an LE 250 pin but 500 people have it listed as owned???.....hmmmmm :squint:

This is why I really wish Pinpics would add the counts of people that have pins marked as owned. It still wouldn't be perfect and there would be some double counting between owns and trades, but that could really help in scrapper situations. It's an LE 250 pin but 500 people have it listed as owned???.....hmmmmm :squint:

That would make everything so much easier!

+1! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back