• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

Everything you need to know about collecting marquees: UPDATED 4/10!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Everything you need to know about collecting marquees: UPDATED 4/10!!
LOL i still feel that people were bumping up the prices on all the marquees being sold.. wasn't saying the buyer was fake.. but the people bumping the prices consistently. i still have the auctions on "watch" list and i see the same names.

I see what you mean. Bumping up the prices at the beginning is just not smart. Just bid at the last second!

I understand what you are saying. It is just that they really average $450. People think that the $800 was fishy but you never know. I will add that it recently sold for $800. Thanks for the FYI.

I get what your saying. It's probably not often that people will buy pins for that much, but Tangled has become so ridiculously collectible lately. That listing was also a BIN with OBO option. He had a few offers and I even contemplated making an offer myself. Before I could though it sold...I contacted the seller who verified it actually sold for $800.

I get what your saying. It's probably not often that people will buy pins for that much, but Tangled has become so ridiculously collectible lately. That listing was also a BIN with OBO option. He had a few offers and I even contemplated making an offer myself. Before I could though it sold...I contacted the seller who verified it actually sold for $800.

Tangled just keeps picking up steam, so while the price is understandably suspicious at first, it wouldn't surprise me at all to know that the value has shot up that much.

Pin trends are unpredictable,

I think that this is true to an extent. But I think one of the most interesting things about pin trading is watching the trends over time. These are my observations:
1. There are so many pins out there and obviously you can't collect everything so people love to collect a set (ie, PODMs, BTs, Designer princesses/villains, PTNs, DSF GWPs, and marquees) so they can compete a goal (ie-obtain all of them).
2. People love Tangled and when a Tangled pin is released in a previously established series it causes that series to drastically increase in demand thus drastically increases the sets prices. This happened first in the PODMs and then in the BT series. Even the less popular BTs are selling for a much prettier penny than they were prior to the Tangled surprise BT.
3. When a hot item is released (ie--UP BT, designer villains, etc). The ebay prices are sky high because people are in a panic to obtain them and some people are willing to spend a lot to make sure they get the pin. The prices stay high for a couple of weeks until the hype dies down and then there is a lull for a brief period of time (month to a couple of months) where the pin's price hits its nadir before it starts to rise.
4. I do think that this pin forum has a lot of sway on the awareness of pins. If people do not know about some of the great pins that were released years ago then not a lot of people bid on them on ebay. But once posts are made on certain pins that are bumped a lot it reinforces those pins and keeps them in people's minds. For example, the stained glass pins from disneyshopping have been hyped a lot, thus causing their prices to increase recently. Note, I don't think this is a bad thing.

I would love to hear other member's observations about pin trends.

Which two marquees? Someone might be able to help you find them.

One is the Rocketeer, which someone did tell me was on Ebay at one point and never went over forty bucks, which I would love to get, but it tends to go up during the down periods of the month when I've run out of money and can't afford pins. That always just seems to be my luck, but I'm hopeful it'll be mine someday.

The other, the one I know I'm never getting, is the Avengers marquee. I've never seen it go for less than eighty bucks, at the least.

I really want the Toy Story one and regret not buying it when I saw it on eBay a couple of months back. I keep checking for it but so far no luck.

Ps: Anyone has one for trade/sale?? =)

I really want the Toy Story one and regret not buying it when I saw it on eBay a couple of months back. I keep checking for it but so far no luck.

Ps: Anyone has one for trade/sale?? =)

Which toy story one? Two or three. I think there is a two on eBay right now.

4. I do think that this pin forum has a lot of sway on the awareness of pins. If people do not know about some of the great pins that were released years ago then not a lot of people bid on them on ebay. But once posts are made on certain pins that are bumped a lot it reinforces those pins and keeps them in people's minds. For example, the stained glass pins from disneyshopping have been hyped a lot, thus causing their prices to increase recently. Note, I don't think this is a bad thing.

I've often wondered about this. If someone or more than one someone lists a pin as their most wanted, then does that change the availability of said pin? When I first saw my most wanted pin for sale on this forum it was for around $40. I've been pretty vocal about wanting this pin since I got here (I missed buying it by minutes). Now a few of them have popped up. Some for sale for quite a bit (like 4 times) more than less than a year ago and one for trade for pins that are going for almost 10 times more than the pin I want was going for a year ago. Is it because I helped to raise awareness of the pin? I wonder now if I made a mistake in labeling this pin as a grail - have I shot myself in the foot to ever get it at a price/trade I can afford?

(Note: I do not have any ill feelings at all toward the sellers/traders of this pin. I really do hope to work with one of them to get it. It is just extremely difficult to work something out on my end. But not for lack of trying...and I'm still trying to wrap my head around it being worth that much. :) This is just my 2 cents - which I should probably save to put toward obtaining my pin...:lol:)

8. Bridge to Terabithia- People might try to argue this one but it is surprisingly very rare. One of the big reasons I put it in the top ten was because it was one of the last couple pins both Nathan95 AND Catburger (who are some of DPF's marquee completists) needed.
Price Ranges ? (Never seen it sold)

pin52654

Thanks for the shou tout Erikr! Don't forget who traded you your #7 on that list :) lol

I really don't get why people choose to collect Marquees. As well as all those issues mentioned above in terms of actually obtaining them, the biggest issue for me is how varied they are. Some are gorgeous, like Up, Enchanted and Wall-E. Then some are just crap, like the Narnia one and the Terabithia one shown above. I feel bad for saying that, considering that people are still willing to pay $300+ for the ugly/plain ones, but that's just my opinion. :p Just another mystery concerning completists I guess.

For me, the appeal of marquees was just because of my love of movies (and having worked in a movie theater for years). I definitely agree that some of them are very un-exciting, but others are for movies I love (like Terabithia), so I don't mind that it's boring. But I've decided to collect 'marquees', so I have to have them all... I don't really _need_ Hannah Montana pins in my life, but I have to have all the marquees... So, there they are. :)

Some people like Tangled, and want _ALL_ of the Tangled pins, even the less-exciting looking ones... I'm like that with marquees. I suppose that's just the 'character' I've decided to collect. I guess it's more about having the complete collection than just having the nicer looking ones... Definitely just a completist attitude.

Someone should list every marquee and the last know sold price or traded value. See what complete set mountain new collectors actually have to climb!

Yeah, I've been trying to do that for a while when I can, although there's a lot of pins that just don't have a recent sale value...

I also remember 2 recent sales of 'nearly complete collections' that sold for $3800 (missing Up, Tangled, Enchanted and Wall-E, among others) and $4500 (missing Tangled and Enchanted, and a few others). That was back in November, so assuming $800 for Tangled and $1000 for Enchanted that's about $6300 for a nearly complete set not counting pins released since Dec of last year, and assuming the prices from last Nov haven't increased (which we know they have...)

Not a cheap set to collect by any means...

For me, the appeal of marquees was just because of my love of movies (and having worked in a movie theater for years). I definitely agree that some of them are very un-exciting, but others are for movies I love (like Terabithia), so I don't mind that it's boring. But I've decided to collect 'marquees', so I have to have them all... I don't really _need_ Hannah Montana pins in my life, but I have to have all the marquees... So, there they are. :)

Some people like Tangled, and want _ALL_ of the Tangled pins, even the less-exciting looking ones... I'm like that with marquees. I suppose that's just the 'character' I've decided to collect. I guess it's more about having the complete collection than just having the nicer looking ones... Definitely just a completist attitude.

We started marquees because we thought it would look amazing all together..no matter what pin it was. And it is definitely true! Maybe a pin by its lonesome like "bridge to teribithia" would look ugly, but the sum of all its parts is definitely a sight to behold! I mean look at your avatar! LOVE IT!! In every collection theres always one pin that just doesnt look nice especially if you're a completist -_-

Yeah, I've been trying to do that for a while when I can, although there's a lot of pins that just don't have a recent sale value...

I also remember 2 recent sales of 'nearly complete collections' that sold for $3800 (missing Up, Tangled, Enchanted and Wall-E, among others) and $4500 (missing Tangled and Enchanted, and a few others). That was back in November, so assuming $800 for Tangled and $1000 for Enchanted that's about $6300 for a nearly complete set not counting pins released since Dec of last year, and assuming the prices from last Nov haven't increased (which we know they have...)

Not a cheap set to collect by any means...

I think it's a lot more. Those ones that sold were before Ratatoullie, Meet the Robinsons, Santa Clause, Narnia, etc. were going north of $200/$300 dollars. I mean, Peter Pan with tink just sold for $180, the one with Hook/Croc was $100+. I think a true complete list would be north of $10,000 now. For an entire collection I think even more because you're not doing any leg work and the collection is going to continue, it's not dead. I always thought eventually the people paying those amounts would run out of money but it has never happened. They just go up. Then again with DSF releases like Tangled BT's & PTD's, UP pins, April BT's, $125 China Girls, etc. I can see where the money comes from.

My offer still stands. I've offered for a while now, Bridge to Teribithia for a Tangled marquee. I'd rather have Tangled and is way more prevalent in the trading community than Bridge to Teribithia which next to no one has. I've never seen another in person besides the one I have. When Tangled was $350-$500 I thought I had a chance, but if Tangled is gonna be $1000+ from now on there goes all hope to both Marquee and Tangled completionists. But that pin is 3 years old and was snatched up by collectors and traders so I know there are a lot of Tangled marquees out there. I've seen probably 15-20 different ones pass hands or in books. Up I've seen probably 3 or 4 in person. Teribithia - 0. Cars 1, maybe 1. Wall-E, maybe 5 in person. Funny enough Shaggy Dog was one of the hardest to get not long ago. It seems odd, but it's hard to tell which are really tough to find until you're actually looking. Some of the older ones sat for months and slowly went to tourists and movie goers.

You have to also remember, DSF cast members back then let "collectors" buy 2 but if you asked nicely, let you buy 3-5. And if you noticed, old school eBay sellers bought about 4 sets of any release to hold as inventory for future dates. Pins lasted for about a week then hit the $3 bargain bin. Even with popular releases. Personally, I'm waiting for Marquees to start popping up from those inventories. As Mark said, many Marquees are in movie goers homes in a drawer? Also, some of them I have never seen at Trade Nights at DLR and DSF Events.

I've been after [pinpics]51981[/pinpics] just because its a Surprise pin that happens to be a Marquee. :-( I should have bought it when it was $25 but back then when I saw a few, that was over priced. It was 6/23 ratio back then. Now its 8/123 ratio. Now, I don't see one. Anywhere.

Personally, I didn't see this Marquee hitting it this big. I saw it as a Southern Cali theme. No one outside wanted Marquees from a Hollywood store showing that particular movie. I could not trade them anywhere so I stopped buying them. I was glad I met Rick on a trade off of Pinpics and met at DSF for a trade. I was so glad to trade him, I think, about 9 because they fit on a page and I was done with those non tradable things.

I want to see when all the First run movies for now on are LE 500 sell/trade (except for Marvel related Marquees)?

Or wait until next year when they rerelease for a week of UP with a LE 300 Marquee. I'm in line for that!!!

I think it's a lot more. Those ones that sold were before Ratatoullie, Meet the Robinsons, Santa Clause, Narnia, etc. were going north of $200/$300 dollars. I mean, Peter Pan with tink just sold for $180, the one with Hook/Croc was $100+. I think a true complete list would be north of $10,000 now. For an entire collection I think even more because you're not doing any leg work and the collection is going to continue, it's not dead. I always thought eventually the people paying those amounts would run out of money but it has never happened. They just go up. Then again with DSF releases like Tangled BT's & PTD's, UP pins, April BT's, $125 China Girls, etc. I can see where the money comes from.

My offer still stands. I've offered for a while now, Bridge to Teribithia for a Tangled marquee. I'd rather have Tangled and is way more prevalent in the trading community than Bridge to Teribithia which next to no one has. I've never seen another in person besides the one I have. When Tangled was $350-$500 I thought I had a chance, but if Tangled is gonna be $1000+ from now on there goes all hope to both Marquee and Tangled completionists. But that pin is 3 years old and was snatched up by collectors and traders so I know there are a lot of Tangled marquees out there. I've seen probably 15-20 different ones pass hands or in books. Up I've seen probably 3 or 4 in person. Teribithia - 0. Cars 1, maybe 1. Wall-E, maybe 5 in person. Funny enough Shaggy Dog was one of the hardest to get not long ago. It seems odd, but it's hard to tell which are really tough to find until you're actually looking. Some of the older ones sat for months and slowly went to tourists and movie goers.

What to you value (money) your Bridge to Terabithia?

What to you value (money) your Bridge to Terabithia?
I honestly don't know. I always said I'd trade it for a Tangled which to me is only worth $350 then, $500 now. $800 is just stupid. I'd say it's in the $300-$500 range now because of the number of people who need it and how close they are to completion. $500 is a number I think is more reasonable for the Tangled Marquee considering other Tangled pins and their prices. Although, the cross-genre lower LE pins always tend to be the most valuable because the added number of people from the different genres that want it. Tangled completists only need 58 pins all less than 2 year sold and many not LE while Marquee completists need 100 LE500 or lower pins from 7 years back. So there are MANY Tangled completists that need only a few pins to complete (granted one is R/C Rapunzel.) Still I think that is part of the reason why Tangled is so expensive. But then people incorrectly attribute Tangled & UP marquee values to other marquees. Those marquee's aren't expensive just because they are Marquee's I think everyone knows that. They are expensive because they cross multiple genre's. Even the grail hair scene from the Tangled PODM is less than the marquee and there has to be less than 50 of those scenes out there.

Back to Teribithia, I don't know if I'd ever sell it on DPF. I think I'd have to eBay it just to see it sold once. I wanna say one was sold like a year ago and went for only like $90. That was before everyone realized how hard it is to actually find. Like Shaggy Dog before both Nathan and Disney Dan found theirs. I think I got Shaggy Dog for like $60 a couple of months ago after those guys got theirs out fo the way. That pin could have been $300+ when both Nathana and Dan were after it.

I almost got Tangled from Dan. He needed 10 marquees till completion and I had 3 of the ten. He said he'd trade tangled for any 2. I had Meet the Robinsons, Ratatouille, and Bridge to Terabithia. He wouldn't trade me after he told me he would because he said he was holding Tangled in case Echoharmony could get 2 of his 10. I thought if he couldn't find those 2 with marquee traders like LM (the white one,) Beauty & the Beast, and Tangled all for trade, how is she ever gonna get them. So he held it for her, which I didn't like personally. I knew she'd never find 2 of those 10. Eventually he traded, bought, or got zapped for the remaining ones he needed and alas my trade offer went bye bye. Thanks to an impossible dream. It kind of bugs me when people offer a pin to someone and then recind the offer when you come to collect and they tell you it's on hold for someone else who has a snow ball's chance in hell of delivering. So I'm still Tangled-less. Not that I'm mad at Echo for wanting it, or for Dan being friends with Echo and offering it to her. Just that I had an offer given to me which I accepted and then it was turned down. That's frustrating.

Back again to Teribithia, I bought Bridge to Terabithia and Ratatouille both for $16 a piece last April. I think I got Underdog for like a trade for a $35 pin about the same time. Marquee's used to be a fun game for me because there were hard ones yes, but they were usually easy to trade for if you had WDI or DSF stuff. Then with the Up explosion a year ago they took off. The race began. I already had 60 of the 100 laps done when many started the race. I quickly realized the fun was over. I couldn't even trade for a Christmas Carol marquee out of the plastic at a PTN once. That was the beginning of the end. I had tons of pins, the guy just wouldn't budge, he said he'd been asked more about that pin that night than any other pin in his whole book. The pins that most people skipped over were now in the spotlight. Some people rushed their little colletions out to eBay and DPF For Sale threads to move them before the hype died down or before the buyers either got it somewhere else or ran out of money. Some held out for higher prices. Some bought extras of harder ones knowing they'd go up even higher. That's when it went from a cool new collection to an impossible dream for me. I teeter everyday, do I sell em all off or do I just keep accumulating knowing I'll never get the ones I put off getting? We're going to Europe for a whole month in June and selling the collection would go a long way for the trip and the new apartment search when we return. I don't think this craze can go on for long. Eventually they will be priced way beyond what people will pay. New collectors will be scared off by The Wild having a $250 BIN OBO price on eBay. So maybe the time is coming soon. I don't know.

If you couldn't tell I think a lot about this subject! haha.

I honestly don't know. I always said I'd trade it for a Tangled which to me is only worth $350 then, $500 now. $800 is just stupid. I'd say it's in the $300-$500 range now because of the number of people who need it and how close they are to completion. $500 is a number I think is more reasonable for the Tangled Marquee considering other Tangled pins and their prices. Although, the cross-genre lower LE pins always tend to be the most valuable because the added number of people from the different genres that want it. Tangled completists only need 58 pins all less than 2 year sold and many not LE while Marquee completists need 100 LE500 or lower pins from 7 years back. So there are MANY Tangled completists that need only a few pins to complete (granted one is R/C Rapunzel.) Still I think that is part of the reason why Tangled is so expensive. But then people incorrectly attribute Tangled & UP marquee values to other marquees. Those marquee's aren't expensive just because they are Marquee's I think everyone knows that. They are expensive because they cross multiple genre's. Even the grail hair scene from the Tangled PODM is less than the marquee and there has to be less than 50 of those scenes out there.

Back to Teribithia, I don't know if I'd ever sell it on DPF. I think I'd have to eBay it just to see it sold once. I wanna say one was sold like a year ago and went for only like $90. That was before everyone realized how hard it is to actually find. Like Shaggy Dog before both Nathan and Disney Dan found theirs. I think I got Shaggy Dog for like $60 a couple of months ago after those guys got theirs out fo the way. That pin could have been $300+ when both Nathana and Dan were after it.

I almost got Tangled from Dan. He needed 10 marquees till completion and I had 3 of the ten. He said he'd trade tangled for any 2. I had Meet the Robinsons, Ratatouille, and Bridge to Terabithia. He wouldn't trade me after he told me he would because he said he was holding Tangled in case Echoharmony could get 2 of his 10. I thought if he couldn't find those 2 with marquee traders like LM (the white one,) Beauty & the Beast, and Tangled all for trade, how is she ever gonna get them. So he held it for her, which I didn't like personally. I knew she'd never find 2 of those 10. Eventually he traded, bought, or got zapped for the remaining ones he needed and alas my trade offer went bye bye. Thanks to an impossible dream. It kind of bugs me when people offer a pin to someone and then recind the offer when you come to collect and they tell you it's on hold for someone else who has a snow ball's chance in hell of delivering. So I'm still Tangled-less. Not that I'm mad at Echo for wanting it, or for Dan being friends with Echo and offering it to her. Just that I had an offer given to me which I accepted and then it was turned down. That's frustrating.

Back again to Teribithia, I bought Bridge to Terabithia and Ratatouille both for $16 a piece last April. I think I got Underdog for like a trade for a $35 pin about the same time. Marquee's used to be a fun game for me because there were hard ones yes, but they were usually easy to trade for if you had WDI or DSF stuff. Then with the Up explosion a year ago they took off. The race began. I already had 60 of the 100 laps done when many started the race. I quickly realized the fun was over. I couldn't even trade for a Christmas Carol marquee out of the plastic at a PTN once. That was the beginning of the end. I had tons of pins, the guy just wouldn't budge, he said he'd been asked more about that pin that night than any other pin in his whole book. The pins that most people skipped over were now in the spotlight. Some people rushed their little colletions out to eBay and DPF For Sale threads to move them before the hype died down or before the buyers either got it somewhere else or ran out of money. Some held out for higher prices. Some bought extras of harder ones knowing they'd go up even higher. That's when it went from a cool new collection to an impossible dream for me. I teeter everyday, do I sell em all off or do I just keep accumulating knowing I'll never get the ones I put off getting? We're going to Europe for a whole month in June and selling the collection would go a long way for the trip and the new apartment search when we return. I don't think this craze can go on for long. Eventually they will be priced way beyond what people will pay. New collectors will be scared off by The Wild having a $250 BIN OBO price on eBay. So maybe the time is coming soon. I don't know.

If you couldn't tell I think a lot about this subject! haha.
Im still wondering where you got the impression that I bought all my marquees? Do you really think that a 18 year old kid has that kind of money to blow on pins. I bought Toy Story 3 off eBay for $50 and my mother was appalled that I spent that much on a pin and that was the only time I bought a marquee off eBay. All my marquees were obtained through trading and the overwhelming help that I received from Dan, Catburger, Moe and DonnaM because that was the only way I could get them.

Last edited:
Im still wondering where you got the impression that I bought all my marquees? Do you really think that a 17 year old kid has that kind of money to blow on pins. I bought Toy Story 3 off eBay for $50 and my mother was appalled that I spent that much on a pin and that was the only time I bought a marquee off eBay. All my marquees were obtained through trading and the overwhelming help that I received from Dan, Catburger, Moe and DonnaM because that was the only way I could get them.
No need for the defensive posture. I didn't say you bought them all on eBay. I know you traded or were zapped for many of yours. Although, I have heard you in person say how much x marquee "cost" you. Perhaps you were translating pin trade values into dollars.
What I did say was the eBay price would have been $300 when you and Dan were trying to complete your sets. People were buying pins left and right to try to get pins to trade you guys. And trading $300-$400 in trade value also sets values. It's not always eBay and it's not always cash that increase a pins value. I know the amount paid for your Up marquee, maybe you got it for free, but that doesn't mean money and pins didn't change hands. Even I was approached to donate a pin to be sold to raise money for your Up marquee zap. I have said in other posts I don't blame all the marquee craze on you. There are plenty of people collecting and paying high $$$ for marquee's.
I think also people were listing pins at high BIN prices to try to increase what they themselves could get in trade for it, but then, maybe even to their surprise, the pins were selling for those high BIN prices. You and I both know people toy with pin value manipulation using eBay. People prelisting pins super early at a very high amounts to try to set a value. Or fake selling 1 BIN high and then relisting two or three lower to make people think they got a deal. Or fake selling low to try to devalue a pin they want. People go to crazy lengths to get pins or get money. Anyone else ever notice it's always the same seller that posts a PTD first and it's always like 150% higher than the first one actually sells for? That aught to teach you not to buy the first one listed of a new pin. Someone will always go lower to try to sell theirs quicker. Then someone goes lower yet to get theirs sold quicker.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back