• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

Fake or real?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fake or real?

BamaBulldawg

New DPF Member
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Got this one recently. My main concern is that I thought the hidden mickeys had the 2 nubs on either side of the post. This one just has one nub that is a part of the post. Please help!!!

Pin is dated 2008 if that helps.

Nubs seems to be dependent on the manufacturer. So depending on who is manufacturing the set, you could get nubs or no nubs. My pin, does not have nubs. Nor do any of the other HM pins from this series that I checked. I didn't look at all of them, though. My Dad and I collected these during the year they were released, I didn't get them years later. However, this series was about the time when counterfeits started showing up en masse, along with the authentic pins. So I have no doubt there are some counterfeits in my collection, but not all of them.

First of all, let me say that it is very hard to say 100% from a pic. There are some thing to do that will help you to tell what pins are good or bad. I would not worry about the nub or no nub. LOL if you get one with 5 nubs.. than you can worry. Jk but anyways. you need to look for more than one thing. Its best to start with another pin from said set. Than do a check list of things that are wrong. Mann if not all bad pins will have more than one thing wrong with them. On the pin you are looking at. I would start with the shape and size of the mickey head. Make sure its the same as others in the set and also look to se that it is clear and not foggy on the edges. Sometimes the mickey head will not have nice clean edges and makes it look like a cheap copy or something. 2nd I would look at the back stamp. Again if you can look at another pin from the set it will help. The fake pin will have a nice big thick logo on the back. When I was doing the NBC candycorn set, I thought that the pin with the fat back stamp was real. As I turns out, the real pin has a back stamp that is not very raised up a thick. It is clean and clear but kind of more flush with the back. I hope that helps a little. If you have any questions, just ask. There is a few people around here that are always ready to help with this stuff.

Thanks to all of your for your very helpful responses. I've decided to keep it, I think it's real and if it's not then its a really good fake. Thanks again!

All hidden Mickeys after 2007 have 2 nubs I think. The older ones is not always the case. It is an easy way to spot a fake in recent years.

Also, a good way to check with these is to compare them against others in the set. When I first acquired one of these pins I thought it was real, that was until I got another 2 and compared them and all 3 of them had different variations of purple at the top, the colors were off. I am not sure if any were real, but certainly not all of them were. If you can compare against other pins in the set that may help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back