• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

Fake Peg Pin?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fake Peg Pin?

Shadowfall

New DPF Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
So I need an opinion. Found a Peg pin I've been looking for for awhile on ebay, but I noticed there's some errors on the pin that makes me worried it's a fake/counterfeit/whatever. So I wanted to ask around to see if it's just an error within the run, or if it really is a bad pin.

This is the one up on ebay:
dp918446.jpg

And this is the one on Pinpics:
pin36575

The two errors that I noticed are: 1 - the bowl is a blank white instead of having 'Peg' and pink and red hearts on it.
2 - Her eye is just a black/solid colored dot on the face instead having an actual definition between white and iris.

Does anyone else have this pin and can tell me if these sorts of mistakes are common? I'd hate to buy the pin for as much as they have it up for and then find out it's a fake.

Thanks!

With just the bowl, I'd say more than likely it was a production error or even wear over time. The print would be put on with silk screening (as there is no metal around the letters) so it was either left off while the pin was being made, and also possible that the silk screen may have worn off over time.

Either way, there is ALWAYS a chance that there is a counterfeit. I can't see them making a counterfeit of this pin, but anything is possible. Also, could be an actual "Scrapper" where a pin that SHOULD have been thrown out at the factory was stolen by a worker and then sold. Hard to say on the eye... I'm thinking they messed up on the eye, didn't bother with the screen printing and the pin was supposed to be tossed out and "scrapped." But as mentioned, a worker probably smuggled the pin out of the factory instead.

I have to disagree Grim.
Look at the eyes and that is just one thing. You mention the silk screening of the bowl and certainly I have seen silk screening come off very easily but look at the angles of the bowl.

With the original the bowl is flat and the one from Ebay is at an angle, a very big angle. I dont think all of the screening would be removed, however, if some came off, maybe they wiped it all off but the angle of the bowl is wrong. In my opinion, it is not a real pin.

I think the angle of the bowl looks different because the pin itself is at a different angle. I'm no expert, but my feeling is that it's a scrapper or possibly a fake. If it were me, I wouldn't buy it.

Hi
I agree with Jesse,something is definetly off on that pin..I hope you did not bid or got it already
that would stink...its looks weird to me,and I am NO expert either...I would not bid either

Thankfully I didn't buy-it-now since it looked hinky to me. And I wanted to check with peoples here to see what the general opinion was.
Guess I'll pass it and keep my fingers cross that a real one does come up sometime. :sad:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back