• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

fakes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
fakes?

disneyfreak619

New DPF Member
Rating - 100%
41   0   0
i traded these pins with a cast member last weekend but on pinpics it says theyre bootleg but the mickey heads on the go to the edge so i wasnt sure they look legit

so for both of these pins, they are bootleg/unauthorized. what that means is that disney did not create these designs, and did not sell these vinylmation pins at any time. They were most likely bought as part of "lots" of counterfeit pins on eBay and then whoever bought these then traded them with cast members.

One way to spot these unauthorized vinylmation pins is that while they also do have the mickey heads on the back, the heads are smaller and sideways, and they also say LIMITED RELEASE on the back (genuine pins do not have that written on them) :
images

On genuine vinylmation pins, the mickey heads are larger, evenly spaced, and the heads are right side up and upside down. Also, though the most recent counterfeits have much less of the "border" issues, if you compare them, the mickey heads go right off the edges of the pin because the real pins are cut/stamped out of large sheets of metal that already have the mickey backs embossed on them.

Check out the thread just below this on the Disney Pin Discussion page. It starts out Wanted: Kind souls...counterfeit/scrappers. She'll take your pins, I believe.

I'm new to DPF and have just been finding out about these scrapper pins. I've never traded pins, only bought, and I'd never heard of this subject before now. It makes me rather mad and sad to have all this fakery out there and the confusion it causes.

Last edited:
so for both of these pins, they are bootleg/unauthorized. what that means is that disney did not create these designs, and did not sell these vinylmation pins at any time. They were most likely bought as part of "lots" of counterfeit pins on eBay and then whoever bought these then traded them with cast members.

One way to spot these unauthorized vinylmation pins is that while they also do have the mickey heads on the back, the heads are smaller and sideways, and they also say LIMITED RELEASE on the back (genuine pins do not have that written on them) :
images

On genuine vinylmation pins, the mickey heads are larger, evenly spaced, and the heads are right side up and upside down. Also, though the most recent counterfeits have much less of the "border" issues, if you compare them, the mickey heads go right off the edges of the pin because the real pins are cut/stamped out of large sheets of metal that already have the mickey backs embossed on them.

Hey Christina,
Very good information. You have learned well grasshopper...lol
Thanks for the sending them to my original thread too.
More good information to know.
Keep the information flowing people. Be educated.

Hope to see you this weekend at the park.

Just keep in mind that one of the new factories that makes legit pins for Disney the borders are present on the pins.

http://pinpics.com/cgi-bin/pin.cgi?pin=82639&sid=5295.1302104460.v2

and the other pins in the series ALL HAVE BORDERS every on on the rack at WDW pin traders. we also found a couple tink pins that had borders but did not take a pic to find them online for a warning. But the sideways mickey heads are still a good warning.

good catch, walrus...i'll have to check that out when i'm at the park next. i have noticed that the more recent counterfeits are harder to spot too, because they have almost NO border now, i think they have gotten better at making them since they know that the border is the first "tell".

and just to clarify, the sideways mickey heads are ONLY for the unauthorized pins, not for the other vinyl counterfeits.

dan - lol i learned from an expert! see you sunday!

I traded away my Lando or I would look. I purchased mine of course didn;t know it was him until I opened the bag. :)

Darn, who did I trade that too???????

Think....think...think....

Vicki

i just checked pinpics too, there is no warning that there could be fakes of this one. My boyfriend has this pin, i'll check it when i get home tonight.

i also traded for a star wars lando vinylmation pin and the pupil on his eyes is silver not black does that mean its a scrapper

When you scan pins, the silver looks black. So just because it looks black in the picture, doesn't mean it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back