• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

Frames for lithographs, where to get them?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Frames for lithographs, where to get them?

txmedic1

New DPF Member
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Does anyone have a lead on frames for the Disney lithographs, like the ones they are currently giving out for Nemo? They are an odd size ( 10 x 14 ). I'm trying to get away from having it custom matted. I have about 40-50 lithographs, so the cheaper the better, BUT i would like an option for acid free backing and uv protective plastic/glass to protect the lithographs. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

I actually work in framing, and 10 x 14 is indeed an odd size. The closest and cheapest option would probably be a 12 x 16 frame with a custom 1" mat. If you want it to look really nice, though, and have the uv protection, I would spring for custom framing for your favorites.

You can purchase the black metal frame for the lithographs very cheaply at any hobby store (i.e. Hobby Lobby, Michaels) and they plexiglass is sold at Home Depot, Lowes, and most home improvement stores. If you want wood frames, your best bet is wholesale pricing on the internet. I purchased a ton of frames from a frame shop that was going out of business. If you want single cut mats, you can purchase them at hobby stores also. If you have the money you can always find a frame shop and have them custom framed.

the sizing is a little bit odd... but I tend to use the different frames from Ikea
the edges are cut out a little bit (about a 1/4 of a inch on each side) but they are not expensive about $8 - 10 for (12 1/2 by 16 1/2) and do come with matting

so after the Aladdin lithographs that came with the pre-order from the disney store, i started searching for frames again. I found these at target for $5.99. they are 11 x 14, which left about 1/2 inch top and bottom. i'm not complaining and for the price it looks great!

If you have sets with multiple prints of the same theme, you could consider putting several prints into one frame to try to make a larger/more typical size. If you go the custom route, the people at craft stores do wonderful jobs. (I've seen some examples of multiple lithographs in one frame and they come out excellent, but of course it always is up to your personal preference.)

I recommend getting 11x14 frames and just getting a matte at Hobby Lobby. They have pretty cheap mattes and they are always having 50% off costume framing. I have never seen a 10x14 frame. I know some of the older lithographs were 10x13 and I've seen frames that size. Michaels usually has pretty good coupons as well so you can get rather inexpensive frames. I usually get my frames for around $5 there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back