• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

Getting ready for FIRST DL visit!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Getting ready for FIRST DL visit!

Firsttimetrader

New DPF Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hello,
My family is preparing for our FIRST visit to Disneyland. I learned about the pin trading and know my daughter would LOVE it. In my very minimal research, I have learned about the scrappers/fakes. My question is: is it worth even trying to have a 10 year old participate in trading in the park? I fear she will just trade away all the real pins I plan on buying her (via this site). All the junk lots offered for sale on Amazon and Ebay have reviews where people say things like, "my kids had no trouble trading these pins on our recent vacation".....and the pins are all obviously junk. So we buy real pins and then there are zillions of fakes at the parks? Or we become shady and knowingly take in scrappers?? (sorry, isn't happening!) Honest advice would be appreciated. I just thought she'd love the idea of trading, like I did as a kid (charms, cards, we traded everything!)---but would we be looking for a needle in a haystack to trade real for real and avoid the scrappers? Or is this more of an adult, collectible trading thing? Sorry for questions, but we've never been able to go to the parks ($$$) and are wanting to make the most of this trip, since it will likely be the only time we can afford to go! Thanks!

Hello,
My family is preparing for our FIRST visit to Disneyland. I learned about the pin trading and know my daughter would LOVE it. In my very minimal research, I have learned about the scrappers/fakes. My question is: is it worth even trying to have a 10 year old participate in trading in the park? I fear she will just trade away all the real pins I plan on buying her (via this site). All the junk lots offered for sale on Amazon and Ebay have reviews where people say things like, "my kids had no trouble trading these pins on our recent vacation".....and the pins are all obviously junk. So we buy real pins and then there are zillions of fakes at the parks? Or we become shady and knowingly take in scrappers?? (sorry, isn't happening!) Honest advice would be appreciated. I just thought she'd love the idea of trading, like I did as a kid (charms, cards, we traded everything!)---but would we be looking for a needle in a haystack to trade real for real and avoid the scrappers? Or is this more of an adult, collectible trading thing? Sorry for questions, but we've never been able to go to the parks ($$$) and are wanting to make the most of this trip, since it will likely be the only time we can afford to go! Thanks!
First of all congrats! I hope you guys have fun! Now on to the question:

This is certainly not just an adult thing, I started out as a child trader too, and no there are certainly not "zillions of fakes" in the parks. While you may come across some fakes here and there, they are generally quite easy to spot, and if it seems suspicious, stay away from it. Maybe you could print out some of the "spot the fake" pamphlets i've seen floating around, and keep it with you in the park if your that fearful of getting scrappers.

I guess my only other question will be, will your daughter have any less fun trading if she gets a couple of scrappers? If this is more of a hobby and not a hardcore collecting spree, I don't see too much harm in letting her have her fun. That being said, I think the best thing to do would be to monitor the pins she looks at on the pin trading boards. If you see scrappers (or even just pins you suspect to be scrappers) on them, let the cast members know and they will remove them. I'm sure you'll get a lot more advice on this topic, but i hope i helped in some way! I hope you have a magical trip!

Last edited:
If you're looking for cheap traders there are a couple of sales posts here on DPF with pins as low as $3 each , just check the sales part of the forum . As for trading , I agree as traders no one wants scrappers but as a kid you probably don't care as much . And if they have fun and learn to trade nicely isn't that the goal ? You can always point out any obvious fakes and steer them away from those if you want

I'd like to echo what Kritter said and suggest printing out some info on counterfeit pins, so you'll know what to look out for. If you trade via the pin boards at most of the park shops (Westward Ho Trading Co., Emporium, etc.), you'll have a bit of time to look at the pins available and make sure that you want a pin before trading for it. You could also try the tables around Goofy's Sky School in Disney California Adventure (if you'll be going into that park at all) and meet some pin traders who I'm sure would be happy to make a few trades.

Other than that, just have fun with it! Don't let the fear of running into a counterfeit pin or two ruin the fun of pin trading on your vacation. I hope you and your family have a wonderful first visit to Disneyland!

This is certainly not just an adult thing, I started out as a child trader too, and no there are certainly not "zillions of fakes" in the parks. While you may come across some fakes here and there, they are generally quite easy to spot, and if it seems suspicious, stay away from it.
As someone who visits the DL parks pretty much weekly, sorry but about 90% of what I see on the lanyards are fakes/scrappers. There's generally about one or two real pins on each lanyard I see (and pretty much 100% of what is on the various picked-over trade boards in stores are fake).

It sucks, but that's what I see as someone regularly looking closely at lanyards in the parks who has been trading in the parks consistently for a decade (and collecting pins for nearly two decades).

Trading is still fun but it requires knowledge of what you're looking at and for.

As someone who visits the DL parks pretty much weekly, sorry but about 90% of what I see on the lanyards are fakes/scrappers. There's generally about one or two real pins on each lanyard I see (and pretty much 100% of what is on the various picked-over trade boards in stores are fake).

It sucks, but that's what I see as someone regularly looking closely at lanyards in the parks who has been trading in the parks consistently for a decade (and collecting pins for nearly two decades).

Trading is still fun but it requires knowledge of what you're looking at and for.

Thats quite interesting as I visit DL regularly (not weekly but pretty often) and, i have found that that the ratio changes depending on the the time of year. Maybe i've just been lucky or i'm being too optimistic, but this doesn't change what i've previously written, just like you pointed out, it requires the knowledge but i wouldn't say that should effect a child's enjoyment of trading.

Last edited:
I would take a look at the 2015 Hidden Mickey pins and decide if you like any of them. Those are the authentic pins you are most likely to find on lanyards, although they can still be elusive. If you see a series you like, and you don't buy any online, I would go buy one of the booster sets which are usually 5-7 pins and go for about $30.

Here are the links to the pins. They are released in waves, and there is an A and B wave.

https://secure.parksandresorts.wdpr...blog/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/HMP707392.jpg
https://secure.parksandresorts.wdpr...og/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/WBHMP489572.jpg

Wow! Thanks to everyone who took time to reply and offer advice. I guess I don't mind if my daughter ends up with some scrappers, as the experience will be worth it in the end----and she will love a fake Anna pin just as much as a real one! I'll just stick close and try to guide her from the most hideous/obvious fakes! We certainly aren't going to be serious collectors---I just want her to have fun checking out the pins and making trades with Disney employees, and maybe even other kids who are waiting in line near us, or whatever. I did find some $2 and $3 pins listed here, so I think we will have a great start on her trading experience. Thanks again!

Last edited:
Welcome! I would say that if you look up some guides online before going to see what a scrapper looks like it'll give you a better idea of what to avoid. On one hand though if your daughter wants a scrapper i would say it's not to big of a deal since sometimes I even trade for them because it's still something I'd like. There are some that look pretty funny but in the end they're still pins and some are pretty hard to tell. Have fun that's whats important is you have fun!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back