• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

GRAIL Grail Dilemma and Sweet Buy

Status
Not open for further replies.
GRAIL Grail Dilemma and Sweet Buy

PersinettePins

New DPF Member
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Just felt like posting my latest pin news since I've spent the last few months on the side lines of pin trading while I focused on grad school. DocFish's WDI TLM jumbo auction actually is what lit the fire for me again to jump back in now that graduation is approaching!

Firstly, my Grail dilemma. There is a trader who is willing to trade me Ariel Seasons! :rock: :drool: BUT, the cost might as well be my voice! It's for... my beloved Art of Ariel pin :cry: I LOVE that pin. I'm so torn. Seasons is harder to find, but then again Art of Ariel isn't getting any more common either. The trader seems great I'm just so conflicted!

The only reason I was able to get any of my grails was due to the extreme kindness of others. (Grad student = not much money). A friend gifted me my most ultimate Grail Beast Transformstion and a college friend got me the Frozen Sorcerer Hats at cost when they came out. (Seriously, how kind can you be!?) I was able to trade for my Beast Designer and Art of Ariel. Basically I'll likely never be able to afford/justifying buying at after market cost pins like these again, at least not for a long while so I really have to choose, which do I want more: Art of Ariel or Ariel Seasons??

In other side news! I won an ebay auction tonight and felt like I really got a great deal. The seller has some pin lots listed (actual pin lots, not those dreadful Hidden Mickey scrapper things) and I was causally scanning them. In this rather unexciting lot (some fairly common LEs) was this gorgeous Little Mermaid Fathes Day pin! I have recently decided I want some father/mother pins to honor my parents who love me so much. I owe them everything. The pin is fairly uncommon from what I can find and last sold for over $60 on then bay. It was hard to see because, while the other pins were prominently displayed, the mermaid pin was laying flat and at an angle. I bet many people missed it or more might ache bid. Anyway, I was able to win auction without much of a bidding war. I got the whole lot for under $40 and free shipping! Super excited to get a desirable TLM pin for my collection at a great deal plus some new traders! Mine are so low right now.

Anyways! Happy trading all! In celebration of being back in they sme and not just lurking I'll have to send out some zaps in m future trades.

*If anyone here was my co-bidder and you wanted the pins in the lot other than the mermaid pin, please do comment/PM me :) I was just after the mermaid pin

If I were, I wouldn't trade AoA. You say you love that pin, why would you trade it then? I never trade a beloved pin for another beloved pin. I always say I would never be able to afford anything like that again, but a few months after I end up buying a grail. You can never be sure of what you can and can't find, but I wouldn't trade this.

AoA obviously has some personal value to you, don't let it go. I'm pretty sure you're going to regret it. Because, as hard Ariel Seasons is to find, AoA is as hard. So you trade AoA and then a few months later you'll want it back.

The Father's Day pin is 54316. I'll upload a pic of a past ebay auction I found of it when I get home after work this afternoon. The pinpics photo really washes out all the color. I love the pose!

Wise words guys! Ugh it's just hard knowing I'm this close to getting Seasons! But, as an art fanatic, I love the artist pins and since the Art of series is based on original art that's one reason I like them. Hunting down Art of Aurora now because I love it's based off of concept art! I will (weepingly) let the trader know today so she can set up a new trade. I'm positive another person will trade Art of Ariel for Seasons.

And you are correct Olaf, I say I'll never be able to afford it but one day I'll scrape together the funds for a Grail. I've been eyeing that Ariel and Eric Valentine heart pin on eBay. It's stunning!!! My totally ultimate want right now. Sadly no spare $800 to drop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Figured out how to post pics from my phone!

Best pic I could find of a past auction:

3153afd2a847472aa8175317873e86cc.jpg

The lot I bought (see how Ariel isn't obvious?):

21058bf86fb50c6dc9bcc30ff4f5fc15.jpg

My incoming pin ^_^ super excited!

0690180345d024c90dd01e039226e51d.jpg

The Father's Day pin is 54316. I'll upload a pic of a past ebay auction I found of it when I get home after work this afternoon. The pinpics photo really washes out all the color. I love the pose!

Wise words guys! Ugh it's just hard knowing I'm this close to getting Seasons! But, as an art fanatic, I love the artist pins and since the Art of series is based on original art that's one reason I like them. Hunting down Art of Aurora now because I love it's based off of concept art! I will (weepingly) let the trader know today so she can set up a new trade. I'm positive another person will trade Art of Ariel for Seasons.

And you are correct Olaf, I say I'll never be able to afford it but one day I'll scrape together the funds for a Grail. I've been eyeing that Ariel and Eric Valentine heart pin on eBay. It's stunning!!! My totally ultimate want right now. Sadly no spare $800 to drop.

Yah, I know it's hard. When I found out Tangled had THREE freaking designer pins, and all gorgeous as f***, courage just left my body. It took two years and now I have 2 out of 3. I was -this- close to getting the designer princess too last week. I eventually didn't get her because the money was better spent on a course I want to follow. I figured, I can always save up later. If I could do it once, I can do it again.

Also, you won't be a poor student forever. That's how I think, anyway. One day we'll have a job and we'll be able to save up for things we love. And for most pin collectors that would be grails. Some people save up for an expensive designer handbag, a car, etc... We save up for designer Rapunzel and Ariel seasons. :lol:

As much as it might hurt to not get the Seasons, I'm really sure you'd regret giving away your AoA. I have it myself and it's gorgeous. Even I have doubts to trade it away and I don't even collect Ariel.

I have seen Art of Ariel crop up for sale a few times, but I have never seen the Seasons one for sale or trade. So I'd say it is a harder to find one. BUT I have learned lately that if you have doubts about a trade then it is probably not the right trade :) You clearly love your Art of Ariel and I too think you would miss it when it is gone.

As an old timer, I understand what people are telling you, but I also know more of the Art of Ariel pins are available then the Seasons pin. The Seasons pin is mostly in people's collections since it is a much older pin. You just don't see them come out very often any longer. Plus all of the older Auction/Shopping pins are getting harder and so much more expensive to buy. Tight now there are 4 art of Ariel pins available and no Seasons. There have been several of the Art pins that have sold for under 500 on ebay. There have also been a couple of the Seasons pins sold for under 500. So after looking to see what is available I would lean towards making the trade. The seasons pin is almost 10 years older and there are 5 times as many people trading the Art pin.

Figured out how to post pics from my phone!

Best pic I could find of a past auction:

3153afd2a847472aa8175317873e86cc.jpg

I just got that pin two months ago! It has such great artwork! As someone who wants both pins, I would personally keep what I have. If you like the pin, it's probably going to crop up again. After all, the name of the game in pin trading is patience. I saw the post on FB and I personally think that unless the AOA is something that you think that you could trade for again, just don't.

Grail dilemma - that's a tough one - I'd lean toward keeping the Art pin - I think?!

Sweet buy - nice score! Lovely pin!

Last edited:
Oh doc I was all decided then you had to come in with your sage wisdom! Now you have me all conflicted again! This was my original thought that you brought up: Seasons is VHTF, old, and in many permanent collections. I'll mull over it while at work today...

I understand this dilemma. I've been holding onto my Elsa stained glass for dear life but I realized there's other pins I want more. Don trade it if you never think you'll be able to get it back!

Are you trading the fish from bed knobs and broomsticks?! I've been looking for this pin for forever!!! Please pm me if you're interested in trading :) and good luck!

I have seen that Ariel Seasons pin pop up so much on Facebook lately. I would try to negotiate a trade for it, but not with Art of Ariel, unless you have enough funds to purchase another Art of Ariel.

PMed Jessa :D And Starry, that is good to know! I did see it a couple of other times on FB but everyone was asking for Designers and I'm unwilling to trade my only one. I told the trader I needed some time to think it over and they are very understanding. It's a big trade. I love Seasons because Ariel is my favorite princes and I an a fall baby (November) so it marries those two things super well. But every time I look at Art of Ariel I drool a little. Aesthetically I like it a bit more. I am leaning towards keeping Ariel but I'll sleep on it. I appreciate the input everyone!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back