• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

Hello! Looking for advice for a newbie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello! Looking for advice for a newbie

kristin2016

New DPF Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone!

I am a brand-new collector, trying to begin my collection before I head to Disneyland for the second time in August. I spent most of last night reading through threads, but many of the posts on counterfeits and scrappers left me skeptical of trading in the park (which is what I had intended to do in the first place). There are a few sets I'm loving (like the nesting dolls!) but I feel hesitant begining my trading collection with them if I may receive less than authentic pins in return. I guess my main question is: where do you get your pins? Is there a list of more legitimate websites/sellers that I can buy from to try to ensure that I am getting what I paid for?

I know it is likely easier to collect pins you enjoy, whether or not they are authentic, but I would feel slimy trading unauthentic pins and I know I would be disappointed if I traded an authentic one and received a fake in return.

Thank you for any and all advice you have to give to a new collector!

Kristin

You can always ask the cast members you're trading with to see the backs of the pin to inspect the pins a little closer. That should give you an idea of the authenticity.
If you have a smartphone with you, you can look up the pins on pinpics.com which lists when there are fake pins being sold & which differences to look out for.

I really loved trading at the parks and we found a few very nice pins that way, so I found it's still very fun to do :)

Hi and welcome to DPF.

Trading in park can be scary trying to avoid couterfit pins but so much fun as well

Although I do enjoy trading in the park, when I first began, it was tough to spot a scrapper. I would start out buying the pins you know you want to keep.

You can get low cost traders (real pins) here on DPF and on Facebook.

You can always ask the cast members you're trading with to see the backs of the pin to inspect the pins a little closer. That should give you an idea of the authenticity.
If you have a smartphone with you, you can look up the pins on pinpics.com which lists when there are fake pins being sold & which differences to look out for.

I really loved trading at the parks and we found a few very nice pins that way, so I found it's still very fun to do :)

Thank you! I hope to trade while I'm there. :)

Hello and Welcome! :wavey:

I know when I first started, I had no idea the amount of scrappers/counterfeit pins that were on CM lanyards. I'm sure most of my "early" traders are fakes, but honestly I still enjoy looking at them. I wouldnt use them to trade in the parks (or trade here), but I do enjoy my pin boards. Now that I know a little better, I'm getting better at spotting bad pins on lanyards (you can always ask the CM to see the back of the pin).

TammyH

Welcome! There are a few great sites out there that can help you tell what pins are real and what are fake. If youre trading at the parks, you can always trade one you might find to be a scrapper or fake pin later down the road since they dont mind. I was really lost when I first saw my first group of scrapper pins, I couldnt tell the difference, but with a little guidance I was able to start picking them out pretty well!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back