• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

Help me figure out Artist Proof pins...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Help me figure out Artist Proof pins...

showmethepins

Gotta Find Mickey Pins!
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hi Everybody. I'm very intrigued by Artist Proof pins but I need to understand them better. Could you help me with a few questions:

1) How do these get into circulation?

2) Is there a way to tell how many are made for each pin style?

3) Why are some APs listed separately on Pinpics and others are not listed?

4) How do you typically value them? If I'm looking for higher-end traders are APs the way to go?

Thanks in advance for the help.

I have heard that some people have bought an AP right off the rack. Of the ones I own, I have only gotten them by trading for them at pin events (Trade City, 10-10-10, DVC events) or trading with Scoop or a CM.

If they are not listed on PinPics, I would assume it is because no one that actually owns one has listed it. Also, I don't think there is a set amount of each AP made. I could be wrong, but most times there are more than one AP of each pin.

The value of AP pins, in my opinion, are subjective. Some people collect AP pins and may find them higher in value than others. I think they are neat to own - and have several - but I am not sure that when it comes to trading I would hold them at a much higher value than it's normal pin unless the pin was extremely rare.

These are just MY opinions. Not the law of the land!

1. All of my AP pins have come via the boards at the Epcot Pin Trading Event.

2. I found some links to when this subject has come up in the past from Dizpins

http://dizpinsboards.yuku.com/topic/17795
http://dizpinsboards.yuku.com/topic/18138/Artist-Proof-Pins

3. Pinpics listing is dependent on what members add to the database. Sometimes people don't like to add, and hope other people will get around to it first, so they don't have too. Right now, my Dad is waiting for someone to add the pins that were released on the Panama Canal cruise so he doesn't have to. So if you get an AP pin and it's not on Pinpics, you might as well just add it.

4. It's a personal preference type of thing. Some people collect APs so they might value them higher. IMO, it may add a slight bump but not a lot. If it was a $10-$12 pin maybe it bumps it up to being equivalent to a $15 pin or something like that. Others may think differently. And I would imagine Jessica, Stitches, etc might be different.

Can anyone post a good pic of the back side of the pin where it is stamped AP? I have never seen one and I'm curious as to what it looks like.

Although others have already posted here, I will share my views/information I know regarding park AP pins...

1. They get out from trading on pin boards and sometimes with cast members/managers, pin events, auction lots, sometimes people get lucky and find one for sale mixed in with the normal pins (happened to me once in the 10 years I have been trading), back doored by cast members, etc...

2. There is almost no way to tell since Disney never releases those numbers. However, it is said that for most releases, there are 24 APs made. I have seen a packing slip from the factory to Steven Miller in the past for APs and the numbers shown matched this (Disney should really remove those from boxes before reusing the boxes, but that's another post...).

3. PinPics is a database created by those that use it. Members have to list the pins for it to be on there. The APs on there are ones added by members already. If you have an AP that is not yet listed, feel free to list it and help PinPics become more complete.

4. Value on AP pins vary wildly from person to person. Some could care less about the fact that its an AP and say that AP just stands for "Another Pin". Some give them a slight boost over the regular version and some, like me, if its an AP for something in their collection, they will value it at a premium for their collection.

1) How do these get into circulation?
They are sometimes in Cast members and actually this past event (love is magical) they silent auction a few pin (rack, LE, sets) but these were AP so pretty much they are release by disney it self.

2) Is there a way to tell how many are made for each pin style?
there is no way to tell, since disney can always hold more that we don't know about.

3) Why are some APs listed separately on Pinpics and others are not listed?
they say in () artist proofed .

4) How do you typically value them? If I'm looking for higher-end traders are APs the way to go?
they can be more valuable because not manny have the AP stamps and as i said sometimes they are sold as a auction therefore people pay more for these pins who were once rack pins or booster sets, however the value is a little higher but don't let people tell u that u have to give them 2 for a AP, it all depends on the person, it is cool to have them, but they are still just regular pins, now when u have a LE 250 or 100 or even 500 AP it becomes more valuable since disney only made a few of these AP for for special events like payed events and silent auctions.

i have only 1 time(that im aware of) picked up ap pins on a cast lanyard...actually 3 of them(3 managers coming out of the back at animal kingdom). my other 50 or so ap/pp pins all came from events. this makes me ponder a possible thread to trade my aps as i dont collect them and would love to get pins from my wants.

I've gotten AP pins from Scoop. There's nothing really special about them and I don't necessarily value them any more highly. I think some people try to but it still boils down to the appeal of the pin. I'd rather have an open edition of a great pin than an AP of a mediocre one.

Can anyone post a good pic of the back side of the pin where it is stamped AP? I have never seen one and I'm curious as to what it looks like.

I finally got around to taking pics of the ones I have. These came from the Pin boards at the 2009 Epcot Event (MOP). They are all stamped in different places, and some are harder to see than others.

Stamp on bottom, large
IMG_9555.jpg

Stamp in right Mickey ear, medium
IMG_9556.jpg

Stamp in backstamp box, small (above the "R" in Terror)
IMG_9557.jpg

Stamp in copyright box, tiny. I didn't see this one until I was putting my pins in Pinpics at home.
IMG_9558.jpg

Hopemax, thanks for posting various examples. I've been trading for nearly 5 years and have never seen one. Much appreciated:)

Pixie-I felt the same way and all of a sudden, I seem to have gotten about 10 in the last month. Most were from trading with scoop, but a collection I just bought had one in there and I just traded for two from lopeldred (THANKS!)

JUST GOT MY FIRST AP PIN! Many thanks to breagirl for including one in the lot I purchased from him. Brea's the best pin supplier I've found so far!

mickey.jpg
[PIN]71192[/PIN]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back