• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

Hi (again)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi (again)

starry_solo

Judge of the Dark Court
Staff member
DPF Administrator
Rating - 100%
541   0   0
It's been a year since I joined DPF and with so many new members, I thought I'd say "Hi (again)" ^_^

Who am I?

My name is Li (#2, according to my sister, jadeites-lady, who is also named Li). It’s actually the first part of a difficult to pronounce name, which I don’t use professionally, but only for the purposes of Disney and mail since the post office told us they wouldn’t deliver to anyone other than what the names on our identification cards say (yeah, right – then how come we get weirdly addressed mail all the time?!)

When we began collecting pins

I, along with sis, have been collecting Disney pins since early 2009, towards the end of our first year (after a 5-6 year absence) of annual passports to Disneyland. I saw people trading with cast members, my BFF Lisa was buying pins, and thought that it looked like so much fun that I should do that. :) I couldn’t pay the prices Disney was charging so I looked on ebay for a good deal. I started out with $1 pins, which I eventually - after about 6 months or so - found out that they were probably scrappers. They were really good because they were very glossy without any matted look, unlike the ones I see on cast member lanyards these days (with dips in the paint). I remember that these really good scrappers were the mini Disney characters as Pirates of the Caribbean characters and that Minnie didn’t have any eyelashes. I probably went through a few hundred of these glossy scrappers before finding out about Pinpics through Lisa (she doesn’t trade online so I’m not sure how she found out about it, maybe through MousePlanet?). That’s when I first learned about scrappers and the now defunct Dizpins.

Dizpins disappears

After Dizpins went away, I went looking for another forum and found PinTalk. It wasn’t very active but it’s still enjoyable (not as much drama as here). Eventually, through DISBoards, I found out about DPF.

What we collect

Together, sis & I collect Belle, Mulan, Silver Mist, Little Green Men, and Star Wars. We also collect Mickey & Minnie doing cute things (and a few Mickey/Minnie pins from Asia) and certain Hidden Mickey pins that are cute to us (Casey Jr. Train, Alice in Wonderland [for the tenth anniversary of pin trading], and this year’s Construction Signs.) We have about 500 or so pins in our collection, although I’m sure we have purchased a ton more (probably 1000 to 2000 pins). I’ve been able to get good deals on Craigslist for people getting out of pins; some not so great deals at yard sales, but usually never more than $2 per pin. Wow, that is a lot of money. I never thought about it like that. I have been doing quite a few multi-pin trades (up to 10 pins for 1 pin) so that probably explains why we don’t have quite as many pins.

Pins or clothes – that is the question?

Now, I have to spruce up my wardrobe for work. So, the question for now is, pins or clothes? Hmmm…

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back