• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

Hi from a newbie in Australia

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi from a newbie in Australia

losfp

New DPF Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all

I'm very new to this! I have visited a Disney park just once, in 2012. My wife, daughter (then 4) and I went to Disneyland for a week as part of a 5-week roadtrip through Arizona, Utah and California. Had a ball, so much so that we're planning another big trip next year, visiting WDW, Universal, doing a Disney Cruise, then Disneyland and finishing up with a stay at Aulani in Hawaii. It takes so long and costs so much for us to travel to the USA that we might as well make a big trip of it!

I noticed some people wearing lanyards with pins on our last visit, but didn't really know much about it. At a travel expo earlier this year, there was a Disney booth, and the reps were handing out brochures and PINS. I got one and my wife grabbed one. Was examining them later that night and though - hey these are pretty cool - and started researching.

We wanted our older daughter (will be 7 next year on our holiday) to try pin trading as a way to help her manage her shyness and help her with her confidence in talking to people. So I got a couple of lots of pins on eBay (I know, I know).. I didn't go for the real cheapie lots and bought from a couple of places that had received at least some lukewarm feedback. I don't know much about pins so they mostly seemed ok to me. There were a couple that were very obviously wrong, and I won't be trading those. Many others seemed to look and feel right to my untrained eye, so they are coming with us as traders and for us to keep if we liked them (after all, if you like it, then what does it matter whether it's "genuine" or not?)

It's obviously tough for us to buy direct as it's a good 16 hour flight for us to LA, let alone Orlando, so all my purchases have been online. I've gotten a few more pins online (individual pins) from buyers with good feedback, and they came with original backs etc so I'm reasonably comfortable with them. At this stage, I like anything that relates to parks/rides/attractions, wifey likes Alice in Wonderland and Mickey, and the kid just keeps whatever she likes.

Hoping to hang out here and learn a bit more in the months leading up to our 2015 holiday. :)

Hey another fellow Aussie welcome!

Yeah pin collecting for us is not easy because there is no way to get pins locally. Everything needs to be shipped.

I try avoiding having to pay too much over retail for any pins because it can get rather addictive and expensive but luckily I have been able to make a lot of friends through here, who are more than willing to help me out.

Other than that I resort to both here and on Ebay, I also find buying pins to be easier as opposed to trading generally because it is harder to trade internationally especially since it means added work to those in the US to have the items shipped to us.

I am actually heading to the US next week for the Gala, super excited and hoping to grab several pins while im there. If there are any pins within the park that you want let me know and id be happy to grab what I can for you!

Hi Polaris, thanks so much for the kind offer. I'll have a think and might take you up on it. Happy to prepay x amount. Do you know if it's possible to find out what pins are actually available in the parks or resorts? I got a mate who was over there about a month ago to grab me any three pins that were related to park attractions, but I didn't have a clue what he got until he brought them home.

Hi Polaris, thanks so much for the kind offer. I'll have a think and might take you up on it. Happy to prepay x amount. Do you know if it's possible to find out what pins are actually available in the parks or resorts? I got a mate who was over there about a month ago to grab me any three pins that were related to park attractions, but I didn't have a clue what he got until he brought them home.

Hello
Welcome to DPF .
Here's a link to the Disney Parks Merchandise site . It'll show you the new and upcoming releases http://disneyparksmerchandise.com/
If you have a particular character or theme you collect , let me know and I'll PM you a few suggestions .
Happy Trading
David

No worries just let me know either way, don't worry about payment until I get back that way I know I can get them for sure. Also as speedwaystar1 mentioned you can check out the pins being released in the park on the Disney Parks merchandise website. I am going to both Disney World and Disneyland so just let me know if there are any at either you want me to pick up.

Hello and welcome losfp!! Very happy you've joined us!! Pin trading and collecting is a lot of fun and when you get to trade in person it's even better!! Sounds like you have a wonderful trip planned!! I'm sure you all will have a fantastic time!!

The DisneyPinForum (DPF) has great trading and selling opportunities ... check out the posts under DPF Market Place!
You can find trades here: http://disneypinforum.com/forumdisplay.php?7-Pin-Trading
And sales here: http://disneypinforum.com/forumdisplay.php?8-Pins-for-Sale-Wanted

Best of wishes to you and your family!!

Cool! Another Aussie!

Glad to see you did your research before you waded into the addiction - scuz me - I mean - Hoooobbby. :D That's more than half the battle. Most of us regrettably do not live close to the Disney properties - we don't let it stop us either. :naughty:

You'll find alot of information and contacts here. It's a good group of people; don't be surprised if you pick up a horrid habit of collecting friends too. :rock:

Last edited:
Hi there and welcome!

Just a note that I began pin trading on my own when I was about 7 as well, and it was one of the things that helped me to overcome my shyness. It also I'm pretty sure helped to reinforce manners, and helped with my confidence when people would tell me how pretty my pins were! I hope that the same proves true for your daughter and that you guys have a lovely trip, as well as fun on these forums!

Hi there and welcome!! Great to see people from lots of different places around the world, joining in pin trading/collecting and having fun. I hope you have an amazing time in the US and that your daughter really enjoys collecting & trading so much she forgets to be shy. I know that worked for me many years ago when I first started collecting :)
Welcome to the Forum :bigthumb:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back