• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

How do you do yours?

Status
Not open for further replies.
How do you do yours?

C.Fr3dricks3n

UP UP and UP!
DPF Charter Member
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
How do you catalog your collection?

Ever since I joined PinPics in 2006, the site has had it's days. Either down for maintanance or offline for various reasons.

What would you do if PinPics went down forever? I'm assuming the servers are in the owners home. Do they have backups in another part of the country to retrieve the copied backup. I've seen in the news this past year in California alone, whole mountains come down on a community, a gas leak that burned an entire city, mild to strong (Northridge) eartquakes and various god/man made destructions. How would you know what pins you have? We have forums that ended and new ones like this one that dedicated traders can still trade.

P. S. Would you also know the want/trade ratios???

Myself, I have copied and pasted on to a Word file my Haves, my Trades and my Wants. With this information, I have made an extensive Excel file that has the pin picture, the detailed information from PinPics, how I got the pin - traded, bought (forums/auctions/online/ect.) and what pin(s) it was traded for and whom. How much I paid for the pins and a grand total of how much I have spent in this hobby.

It is easy to always go online and click onto a pin you want but if that information was not there would you remember you wanted the pin.

I've recently seen an online cast members name badge site detailed, a pressed Disney coin collection in special holders and catalog.

What do you do? Just think alone, when the reference center went down and PinPics themselves could not contact the owner everyone posted "what am I gonna do?"

Something to really think about??

Last edited:
Great topic. I would love to hear about everyone's method. Being a newbie I am still trying to figure out the "organization" of my collection. Currently my pins are running me and I am just chasing them round and round. You method sounds extreemly extensive, but very informative.

I have (a somewhat outdated) Excel spreadsheet of my wants. I also print out my wants list to take with me to pin events. If Pinpics ever went down I would still know what I want and I would know what I have because its on display in my room. On average, I have about 150 wants and 150 traders so it's not impossible to keep track of them. It would suck to not have Pinpics, but I think I've got my bases covered so far....

I have an excel spreadsheet of my collection, which includes information on how much I paid for each pin. From time to time, I do print off a list of my wants and trades from Pinpics, so I have an up to date hard copy. And since the hiccup with the Reference Centre, I have now printed off a copy of my references, and intend to print it off, as and when additional references are added. I have tried saving pin pictures and data to my computer, but it was so time consuming, that I gave up on it.

I have now decided to print out Pinpic information for each of the pins that I own and keep it in a ring binder, but again it will be time consuming, and as yet I have not made a start! Need to get some A5 paper, thought I would try to save on paper and ink, as there will be hundreds of pages to print! As you say MASTER, I would hate to be without all this info.

the topic title confused me to as what it was about lol

I have absolutely nothing for my pins yet, my wants list isnt that extensive as its only 50-60 pins and then my traders is less than that at the moment, Im going to print off my wants list before my trip to paris so I know what Im after, I will also print off an extra page of pins Id like but are not on my wants list as not that high to put them on my want.

I have mine in several bins with the pin and number written on it,my fantasy,lanyard series are seperate from each other ,just like my buttons,lanyards,DA pis

Judy

I have an Excel spreadsheet that lists each pin by Pin Pics number, along with how many of that pin I have (if I have multiples), and what I paid for each pin. Whenever I trade for instead of buy a pin, I list the trade value of the old pin as the new pin's price. The spreadsheet doesn't include tax or shipping in the listed price; I just figure that's the cost to play, so I ignore it.

My iPhone has an app that lets me look at PDF files, so I turn the spreadsheet into a PDF that I can put on the iPhone and take to PT events, which allows me to check the price of a pin before trading it away. (In the heat of the moment, I sometimes forget to look at the PDF, so in practice, the PDF is less useful than it ought to be.)

Before each PT event, I decide which of my many wants I'm going to concentrate on at the event. I make a Word table, copy and paste Pin Pics pictures of them into that table along with their Pin Pics numbers and name, and hand that to other traders at the event so that they can quickly tell me whether they have any of those pins for trade.

All this should be in past tense, though, because I'm not trading now. But the Excel spreadsheet is still essential as I sell my collection, because it lets me know what I paid for a pin and, therefore, what price to ask.

I've never done anything to save my references. I'm not sure what printing them out would accomplish. Couldn't people just fake a print out?

(Going in the opposite direction of this thread's topic, I've always wished that Pin Pics allowed us to add comments to each pin listed in our collection on Pin Pics so that we could state the pin's condition and price. The comments would be private--not for other people to view, but just for the collection's owner to view.)

Last edited:
I use Pinpics exclusively. I do have a thumbnail print out of all the DA Stitch pins I'm looking for and I do keep track of my online trades, but even that is out of date. If I spent all that time keeping track of them outside of Pinpics I don't think it would be as much fun for me anymore; it would feel more like a job.

Saving off the pin info did cross my mind, but if anything ever did happen to Pinpics it wouldn't be all that useful because only I would have the information and at that point, I couldn't prove I didn't just make it up. With no Pinpics everyone would be flying blind and trades/wants would be immediately inacurate because if Pinpics did go away I think a lot of people would go away with it. The only alternative source to Pinpics is ODPT.com and it isn't as extensive...

I'd be really afraid to keep track of it the way you do MASTER....especially the "how much I paid" so that I was forced to look at how much has been spent, lol. I think the basic consensus would be, all heck would break loose...I think the hobby would take a major down turn, but it might help it return to just simply trading a pin for a pin that each othe rlikes, because it is what we like, not that it is a LE ??? or cost $$$.

I also have excel spreadsheets that are very detailed.
If the site ever went down, I could still easily trade as I know what pins I want and can ask for them and most of us have digital cameras so we can take pics to confirm pins. Many people take pictures of thier actual pins and put them on the for sale board.

Basically you can call that your trades and as for wants, that would be a bit more difficult, however, with a good description, people can figure out what you are looking for.

Nice comments. I guess for some that posted and for those that PMed me, I'm not the only detailed geek? I forgot to mention that on my Excel file I also include if it has the original backing card, a special backing card, I need the original backing card. As posted already, I do include the tax and shipping/handling to the pin cost. I don't include the gas and time driving to and from and parking fees/tickets for parking wrong days on LA streets (DSF) and just the time of waiting in long lines, being away from family and writing my work schedule to JUST GET A PIN!!!

Since I have a Premium Pass the 10%, 15% and sometimes 20% helps with the price of the pin. It helps me also because pins years ago CA tax was 8.725% and now and later that cost is rising.

On a seperate note: just as Disneystore.com has increased the "sets" from $139 to $149 and currently $159 + S/H. All the cost are added to the pins. I see in the coops that when dividing the cost among the 6 all cost are included and paid. So that pin cost that much??

Retail cost of pin + tax + shipping and handling = crazy collector.

This is where details of the "cost" of the pin comes into play. When trading, other than want/trade ratio, I see what it cost compared to what it currently sells for (auction sites and boards). This way if for example if I were to sell on let's say eBay, I know exactly if I'm selling for a profit/loss (fees and paypal) as compared to selling on the boards (shipping and insurance/confirmation)??

I just need to keep a handle of what I spend on pins and what I have. You know, gotta at least have some money to pay the electric bill so I can see the pins I want on my laptop and gas to go get them.

Oh my - I am not as organized as most of you. I've been collecting since before 2000 and have several thousand pins. I'm not too great at setting up excel spreadsheets so I'm not sure I'd be able to pull that off. The pins that were sets, such as 100 mickeys, magical musical moments, etc., I've kept together in the same pin bags. Others are stored in boxes on their original cards. One day, probably after I retire (hopefully in 2 1/2 years), I'll get my collection more organized.

Last edited:
I have an excel spreadsheet of my Collection, Wants, and Trades. I'm working now on a sheet updated weeky that has a picture and name of the pin for each pin listed on Pinpics. Sort of my "insurance" polilcy. I'm not sure the trading ratio is important, but it would be like the end of the world if the Pinpics site went down for good. How would we know what to do???

My pins are sorted in bags by movie (i.e. Cinderella, Snow White) and by edition size in each book. Sets are kept together in bags that are "set" bags and Misc. pins are kept in bags by edition size. I'm running out of room (and books) so I'm going to be downsizing after the first of the year.

Just hope that Pinpics has an offsite server to back up their data and that's is in a couple of places.

I forgot to mention that on my Excel file I also include if it has the original backing card, a special backing card, I need the original backing card.

May I ask do you feel that the backer card adds value to the pin? I have most of mine but most traders don't keep them and many older pins the cards have been lost over time. Just curious as to your method.

Wow, am not anywhere as IT oriented as you all; I print out two hard copies of my pinpics list about every six months. One that I keep with me I update by hand; the second one stays with the pins. How boring is that?

May I ask do you feel that the backer card adds value to the pin? I have most of mine but most traders don't keep them and many older pins the cards have been lost over time. Just curious as to your method.

I really want the cards if the pin hailed from one of the non-park locations, such as WDI, DSF, DCL or such because they are usually specific to that pin or series, and I can't just pick them up when at the parks. Granted, there are some park pins that have special cards, and I always prefer to get the one that has the original card. I keep my pins in a baseball card sheet in binders, sorted by type..for me that is Mansion, Pirates, PTN, and then "other", lol. I think if I kept too good of records and my wife came across them, she'd pass out, lol.

Lemec, you could keep two sets of books: one with the real prices, and one that won't make your wide faint. :)

Margaret, I kept the cards at first, but I got frustrated after a while and threw them away. I wish now that I'd kept them--not because the card makes the pin more valuable to me, but because some people only want pins on their original cards.

I feel that having the original backing card makes the pin compleate. Not mentioning the special backing cards, the newer pins have the SKU that matches the pin, now some pins have a seriel number that matches the backing card. I keep mine in ring binders with 1, 2, 3, 4, 6 and 9 pocket holders.

I think it's awsome what some people do with their frame displays. But, I think I get mine from collecting sports cards and comics. Keep all the original pieces. Protect all the edges. Make sure that the item is the most crisp, clean, non damaged and like comics or coins. PSA 10+???? So you see, although I'm not one of those that stay at the register looking threw 30 pins for the right one but I do look threw a few.

Those of you recently at the DSF NBC, lots of pin manufacturing errors and bent cards. I got my Zero and left while a second line formed for returns that were just as bad. 300 pins and I think 1/2 were sold and resold in really bad conditions. Would you like one of those pins in your collection? I feel the same with the backing card. It's all in one little package. The pin + the original backing card = a MASTER collection.

If you look at the history of the backing cards, there are a few. Again not mentioning special backing cards, I have for example pin 201. I posted the additional information. The card is specific to that pin. There are scrapers of that pin but I have the matching SKU backing card telling me that I have the real thing and having another member telling me on the next comment for that pin that they have the real pin and it looks like mine. The PinPic pictures sometimes are misleading (color, scanners, stock photo and concept art).

So the backing card IS so important to me.

Last edited:
OK, I was just curious (well, I know curiousity killed the cat) but I guess I more like the Cheshire Cat (disappear before trouble starts). I have bags and boxes of cards and some day when I have about a week with NOTHING to do I'm going to organize them. (Little voice in head says "sure you are"). I am looking for the card for your pin, but I'm only 1/2 way through. Dentist appt in about 15 min (thank goodness they are close). I'm still learning since I only started collecting in 2008 and I believe if you don't know ask - there is no such thing as a stupid question. Knowledge is Power!!!

If pinpics ever goes away, I'd be completely lost. We keep our pins in pin bags organized by characters/themes. No spreadsheets or lists of the pins that we have.

I'd be toast! Scary thought! Uh, given I came on here b/c Pinpics was down (had to feed the pin need one way or the other) someone, assuage my fears! :anxious:

I have a fairly detailed spreadsheet (I'm a systems accountant by profession :redface:). I know what traders I have and what pins I want along with the data I think is relevant.
I do need to update my collection sheet and I keep thinking of other things to add.

Well the news is out. Pinpics will be down for a week. It was stated that the data base was going to be saved I'm another location. First time?

I ask again, if something were to happen on the transfer of data and all is lost - what would you do?

Using Word file to save your haves, wants and trades for now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back