• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

How to display your Piece of Movie pins?

Status
Not open for further replies.
How to display your Piece of Movie pins?

Donna

Active DPF Member
Rating - 100%
285   0   0
Hi,
I was wondering if anyone has any good ideas on how to display their Piece of Movie pins?
At the moment I have the Snow White and Bambi pins which are in my pin bag but this certainly doesn't do them any justice and you cant even see the strip of film cell:(
I would love to hear your great ideas
Donna

Mine are in my china cabinet right now but when I have enough of them I plan to try and put together a shadowbox for them. I am still tweaking my ideas and going to get my dad to help me build what I want but I am so excited about what it will look like all finished.

My hubby is making me a shadow box with a lighted back so that you can "view" the film pieces. He hasn't finished his design yet, but I'll share it when he does. He is very handy and creative.

My hubby is making me a shadow box with a lighted back so that you can "view" the film pieces. He hasn't finished his design yet, but I'll share it when he does. He is very handy and creative.

I am planning to light the back of mine as well but have not quite figured out the best way to do this yet. I have put down a couple of ideas and will have to see what works best. This is why I have asked my dad to help me (he used to be a furniture builder and now builds cars, who better to ask, right?)...lol I guess dh could do it too so maybe with both of them helping it will be great! :D:D I am so ready to get to work on it. I can't wait to see what everyone else does as well!

Note from a librarian/archivist: If you are interested in the longevity of these pins, particularly because they have pieces of film in them, consider storing/displaying them in a spot that does not get direct sunlight at any point in the day. And, if you are planning on making a lightbox (that's my plan as well), make sure the lightbox can be turned on and off so the film is exposed to direct light for as little time as possible.

Now, I say this with the caveat that I don't really know what kind of curing process they did to make these pins. It's possible that they've really lacquered these cels in an effort to make them last longer. In any case, some of you may not be interested in keeping these for 50 or even 10 years, but for those who do, light is your enemy. Any precaution you can take to keep these out of the light will make them last longer so you can show them to your grandchildren ;)

I've been thinking about stretching a piece of muslin/linen across a frame, so that I can pin the pins to the muslin and then have a light shine through the back. I'm not sure if that will work, but it's my idea at the moment. :)

Have you thought about scrap booking paper (Disney theme or a movie/film theme) pinned to cork board and then the pins pinned to that? Just a thought >^..^<

What about an artists canvas? If you get a gallery-wrapped one, the wood could be thick enough to hide some kind of light and still sit flat against the wall.

Just a thought...if you wanted to, you could mark where the pins will be and then paint around their spots. That way, where the film cell is would still be white.

This is what I am planning to do with whatever Alice ones I get.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back