• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

How will it effect your pins and eBay prices?

Status
Not open for further replies.
How will it effect your pins and eBay prices?

Tr8dWitMe

New DPF Member
Rating - 85.7%
10   2   2
I have seen a lot of newbies join this Forum and the others. I have seen the Wants go up by 10s and 30s and 50s with the Trades being about the same. I have seen current and past Grails go for prices in the $100s+ and some drop to $20.

What will the trade ratios be and the markup prices be when Pinpics do their yearly clean up of non maintanance ID's. I remember that past one where a pin was at 3 Trades and 200 Wants with the value of $250 go to 2 Trades and 98 Wants and now the pin sells for $56.

Anyone know when Pinpics is doing their clean up and how do you think it will effect your pins (Grails)?

Let me look into my crystal ball...

Darn, I'm not sure about pin prices, but I can tell you next weeks lotto numbers if your interested. :)

I think NOT sure,I always thought August as they start the raising of funds for the server around there or Sept

Last edited:
I think there is a lot more to consider than just prices vs the pin ratios. The economy is in the crapper and people don't have the money to be blowing on pins these days. I think that is the main driver of pin prices being down. The ratios could be a contributor in the way that the people who do have money and were buying pins realize that maybe they were paying too much.

A lot of the older pins have dropped in price for very specific reasons as well. Mansion pins for example....I look at them like the housing market. Their prices were falsely inflated and then after the saturation of Mansion pins in 2009, the bubble burst. People got sick of them and moved on. Or look at the original Grape Soda pin. That was bringing $200-$300 at one time. Fast forward to 6 or so of the same darn pin being released and people no longer feel the need to HAVE that pin.

And then on the other hand, you have some pins that are doing quite well despite all of these things. The Jessica as Alice for example just sold for $355.....where did that come from???? I personally think that is a fluke or someone playing ebay games considering it has been relisted....

And with respect to newbies, I don't think they will have that much impact. Most people pretty much start the hobby through hidden mickies, bosters, park pins, etc. They may want the "good stuff" but a lot of them won't be willing to pay the price. So, either they will just continue doing what they are doing or they will leave the hobby. I think very few branch into the higher end pins and when they do it is usually a gradual process. They don't jump from hidden mickies to $200 grails. One month they splurge and buy a $20 pin. Then 6 months later they go out on a limb and buy a $50 pin. Then a few months later they push it to $75 and so on....

So...I think it is much more complicated than just the ratios.

Last edited:
I looked at the old Dizpins site. Last time the database was cleaned up was mid-Oct 2010.

Let me look into my crystal ball...

Darn, I'm not sure about pin prices, but I can tell you next weeks lotto numbers if your interested. :)

I'm waiting!!! :squint:

I thought it was the lotto numbers. Turns out it was actually a phone number. I called the number and they just wanted to sell me an extended car warranty. :hsd:

Have you tried 4 - 8 - 15 - 16 - 23 - 42? I know they worked at least once ... and you aren't bothered by the fact that they're cursed, right? :lol:

I think your right the economy has a lot too do with pin prices. And I know my wife and I started out with cast laynyard pins, then limited edition then, AP's and PP's. I think as the economy emproves so will pin prices.

So does pinpics remove the ID's of the members that are not active? And how do they decide who is active and who is not?

They don't remove the ID's. And if your account is "inactive" the only thing you have to do to make it active again is log in. But inactive id's wants/trades list are not included in numbers of people wanting/trading. And if you click on that number you won't see an inactive id listed. Inactivity is defined as 6 months without logging in.

So does pinpics remove the ID's of the members that are not active? And how do they decide who is active and who is not?

They don't delete them, they just hide them. It is everyone who has not logged in for 6 months or more I believe. All the person has to do to reappear is to log back in. The numbers go WAY down right away and then over the course of a couple weeks they slowly climb back up(though not to what they were) because people log in.

They just hide the trades/wants of whomever until they finally log back in, if ever.

Looks to me like prices are starting to rise, kinda like home prices/sales.

What I think will be interesting is the effect of the ol' timers leaving eBay. There's been a debilitating injury, three retirements (just got tired of the hassle or are moving and don't have the space) and one I can only assume died b/c they've been my fix for years, but they just *poof* disappeared. The 'anchors' drifting away, for one reason or another, is going to make the harder to find pins...well, even harder to find.

They don't delete them, they just hide them. It is everyone who has not logged in for 6 months or more I believe. All the person has to do to reappear is to log back in. The numbers go WAY down right away and then over the course of a couple weeks they slowly climb back up(though not to what they were) because people log in.

I noticed that every time I go to PinPics I'm automatically logged in. Now I don't know if my computer logs me in each time or if my user id is "hanging" on PinPics. Do you happen to know if they monitor the log ins or chances in log in/out status?

But inactive id's wants/trades list are not included in numbers of people wanting/trading. And if you click on that number you won't see an inactive id listed.

I feel so dumb right now.

I've been using PinPics for over two years, and I never knew you could click on the "Members Trading" or "Members Wanting" to see a list of the people until I read this statement, and tried it.

Who knows how much longer it would have been, before I figured it out on my own. Maybe never. So, thank you, HopeMax! :wiggle:

I feel so dumb right now.

I've been using PinPics for over two years, and I never knew you could click on the "Members Trading" or "Members Wanting" to see a list of the people until I read this statement, and tried it.

Who knows how much longer it would have been, before I figured it out on my own. Maybe never. So, thank you, HopeMax! :wiggle:

Don't feel dumb. We all had those moments when we first started! I didn't know for the longest time that you could review your trade requests before they went out!

Hey, I've been around awhile but I still don't know how to pull up the "members profile for ...........". Without clicking on the "wants" or "trades" when viewing a pin then clicking on that member. This would help at least me alot because only the "matches to ...... (wants, trades, haves)" only view the matches. Like on this this forum you can click ok members list. Does pinpics have this feature so I can see all members or is that information private. I would actually like to see how many members they have.

Unfortunately there is no feature to lookup a profile, the best way is to find their username here on DPF or go through trade/wants...

is there a reason that pinpics can't have a viewable members list? Sometimes it's hard to remember a ID when at a trade event they say Im_____. And I get home and forgot because it sounds like____. Like the members link here, it makes it much nicer to click a letter and say that's the one I was looking for.

Hey, I've been around awhile but I still don't know how to pull up the "members profile for ...........". Without clicking on the "wants" or "trades" when viewing a pin then clicking on that member. This would help at least me alot because only the "matches to ...... (wants, trades, haves)" only view the matches.

Do you mean like if you know a specific PinPics member's username, and you want to see what they have for trades?

If so, what you would do is go to PinPics (obviously). Click on "My PinPics" on the left hand side of the page. Scroll down to where it says, "Enter a member name to view their tradables:". Enter their user name, and it will come up with all of their trades, not just matches to your wants.

Similarly, if you want to view their wants, you would enter their username where it says, "Enter a member name to view their wants:". Or if you want to view their collection (a.k.a. "keepers"), you would enter their username where it says, "Enter a member name to view their collection."

OR, if you know that you are going to want to look at all three of these categories for a specific user, you could just go to their profile, which has links to all three of them. You can just use this formula, and fill it in with their username, instead of PixarPerils at the end (I used my username as an example).

http://pinpics.com/cgi-bin/user.cgi?act=view&user=pixarperils

Or are you asking about looking at the trades and wants lists directly from this forum? If so, you know how you mentioned the "Matches to PixarPerils's Trades" link (again, using my username as an example)? Do you see just two lines above that, where it just says "PixarPerils's Trades"? That's what you would click on to see the complete list, rather than just the matches.

Like the members link here, it makes it much nicer to click a letter and say that's the one I was looking for.
Haha, I didn't even know there was a members list on this forum. I did find it just now though (under the community tab at the top of the page, if anyone is still out of the loop on that one). I'm learning so much in this thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back