• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

= ( I think I just jipped!

Status
Not open for further replies.
= ( I think I just jipped!

brookegreene22

It all started with a mouse
Rating - 87.5%
7   1   0
Traded with someone from Belgium, who sent me a request through pinpics.com.

DSC_0013.jpg
DSC_0012.jpg

Just arrived today and I think its a big time FAKE! First, it doesn't even feel like a normal pin..light almost like plastic. Then it didn't come with a mickey pin back...I know the ones I buy come with them, so I thought this was standard (maybe I'm wrong?)!
The black parts all seem raised and where the yellow is on Mrs. Pott's handle looks hand painted, because a little bit of it goes onto the black. It's not something you can see if you glance at it, but with the way it felt in my hand I had to look. The dot you see on Mrs. Pots spout is also a chip in the paint!
On pinpics it says the back says Disney China, which mine does but the back seem off....

I'm still new to the pin trading but this pin isn't like any of the other ones I've collected before. Help??

I think that's how the super old pins were made, but I could be wrong. It says that it was given out when Beauty and the Beast was on TAPE, that's pretty old, before pins were for "trading."

Hi Brooke
Thats a Sedesma pin....they probably made a mistake when trading it,if you wanted the normal one...it could be a propin too...but usually that says it on the back of the pin,it also looks damaged
I think I would try to trade it back for somethingelse

I don't think it's a fake. However, it's time you became familiar with two types of European origin pins. :) They are officially licensed Disney pins, but they were made very cheaply, and sold for very cheaply. When pin trading took off, because of the cheapness they ended up as lanyard fodder. Personally, I'd rather see these pins back than the counterfeits and scrappers. But the two types of pins you will want to become familiar with are ProPins. These were made of a cheaper black metal, and an epoxy (smooth) filling. These are the slightly better ones, and they were originally sold in Germany. Then there are Sedesma pins. These were sold in Spain originally, I think. But they are exactly as how you described.

They have their own Pinpics groups

Sedesma - http://www.pinpics.com/cgi-bin/group.cgi?group=5271
ProPins - http://www.pinpics.com/cgi-bin/group.cgi?group=274

However, it looks like your pin is http://www.pinpics.com/cgi-bin/pin.cgi?pin=3770 I don't have this pin, but being of European origin, I would guess it could have been made at a manufacturer of these cheaper "Sedesma" type pins, as many of the Euro Disney pins are of a similar style.

Also, pins didn't start coming with the Mickey backs until 2001-2002ish. First they were the gold and silver standard backs, then they switched to that basic rubber back you have pictured in late 2000-2001ish, then they went to the Mickey backs. So don't use backs as a measure of authenticity.

Yes, unfortunately this is one of the problems with Disney reusing designs. These are all the listings for that exact same design:

You always need to be careful when this happens to make sure you are getting what you think you are getting.

Okay, so consensus is that it's not fake then? Just a sedesma..... I just want to make sure I'm getting good pins and not fakes. I hate how paranoid I've become!

Okay, so consensus is that it's not fake then? Just a sedesma..... I just want to make sure I'm getting good pins and not fakes. I hate how paranoid I've become!

I would say no, it is not a fake. However, I would confirm that the pin you got corresponded to the Pinpics listing of the one you were supposed to get.

As far as whether it is a "good" pin....that is debatable. Sedesma pins are legit and can be traded. However, because of their low quality, a lot of people stay away from them. :(

Are propins and sedesmas tradable at the parks?I hear so many stories ....they can be and they cannot be

Judy

I think it depends on the cast member. I think they technically can because they have c Disney on them but some stricter cast members might turn them down. I've seen lots of them on lanyards.

Are propins and sedesmas tradable at the parks?I hear so many stories ....they can be and they cannot be

Judy

Here's the CM trading guidelines regarding the issue.

said:
Do we accept pins from Sedesma and ProPin from Germany?

Date: 10/21/2004

While trading at the Walt Disney World® Resort, you may be presented with a Disney character pin manufactured by "Sedesma" and "ProPin from Germany." These pins are typically made from a thinner metal and have a "©Disney" / manufacturer's name on the backstamp.

Currently, both of these styles of pins are accepted for trade at the Walt Disney World® Resort. Normal trading guidelines apply for these pins - Guests may trade a maximum of two (2) pins per each Cast Member. The pins must have a "©Disney" on the backstamp.

Our number one priority is excellent Guest Service. If a Guest offers a "Sedesma" or "ProPin from Germany" pin in trade, please kindly accept it. That Guest may be brand new to Disney Pin Trading and we want them to have a positive trading experience.

It looks to me like the actual pin portion of the pin in question has been re-glued on the back as well. If you want the pin that is one thing but the re-glued pin post is enough to want the trade reversed in my opinion. I usually do not try to return the pins in a trade but all pins should be traded in good faith and be in good condition. It definitely looks like a Sedesma pin to me.

Well, I emailed the gentleman about trading it back and explained that the pin he had offered wasn't supposed to be a sedesma. He told me that he was unwilling to trade back and sorry that I felt the pin wasn't good enough.

Other then that, no word from him at all....guess I'm out of luck!

Well, I emailed the gentleman about trading it back and explained that the pin he had offered wasn't supposed to be a sedesma. He told me that he was unwilling to trade back and sorry that I felt the pin wasn't good enough.

Other then that, no word from him at all....guess I'm out of luck!

Which Pinpics number was agreed upon?

I too am curious what the pin you traded for was. If you don't want it, Let me know if there's anything you would want to trade for it.

The pinpics number was Pin 82870 which isn't a sedesma. I decided to collect Beauty and The Beast pins, so it goes with my collection...I just didn't expect to receive a pin that wasn't in the trade.....

If it was NOT the agreed upon pin, I would press the matter. At the very least please contact Pinpics regarding this trader. They won't be able to moderate for you, but, if enough complaints are posted against the individual, they'll ban them.

If it was NOT the agreed upon pin, I would press the matter. At the very least please contact Pinpics regarding this trader. They won't be able to moderate for you, but, if enough complaints are posted against the individual, they'll ban them.

I agree. I would open a trade complaint. It may seem petty when it is over just one little pin, but if nobody speaks up then there is nothing to stop this person from doing it to other people.

The pinpics number was Pin 82870 which isn't a sedesma. I decided to collect Beauty and The Beast pins, so it goes with my collection...I just didn't expect to receive a pin that wasn't in the trade.....

If it had been the Sedesma pin (26074) you wanted then it would be ok. But if you had 82870 in your Wants and this person contacts you to say he/she has it, and sends you another pin, no matter how similar, you have the right to call the trade off.

It has happened to me once that I thought I had a pin someone wanted, but when we started discussing the matter, it turned out I had another pin with practically the same design. I would never have sent the pin and said it was the one the other person wanted even though it looked almost the same.

Last edited:
I would definitely open a trade complaint with Pinpics. They are very helpful and I'm sure that person doesn't want to be banned from trading. If they are on the Boards, lefave a reference that says what they did.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back