• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

Is This Maleficent Pin a Scrapper? Or Just Funky?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is This Maleficent Pin a Scrapper? Or Just Funky?

ElysionsPrincess

Love Thaws a Frozen Heart!
Rating - 100%
53   0   0
So have this Maleficent pin. I decided to try and find it on Pinpics for the 100th time, but I can't seem to find it. I may be blind to it though, I tend to overlook things often.
EDIT: It was listed under "Characters: Diablo" instead of "Characters: Maleficent". That explains why I couldn't find it!
It's Pin 78570, from the Villains Booster pack.

I decided to take a closer look at the back, to see if there was anything that could help me find it. I noticed that the "Official Pin Trading" stamp was...odd, to say the least. I don't have any other pins like this. I wanted to make sure that it wasn't a scrapper! Is this normal for booster pack pins?

The Mickey pattern on the back runs off the edge well at some spots, and then looks almost boarder-like in others. The edges are all very clean (and thick), so I am thinking it may just be an error, and not a sign of a scrapper. The pin has great weight to it and the paint looks good. But the stamp on the back is very perplexing!

DSCN3701.JPG

Maleficent has Diablo...her face paint and colors all seem great to me!

DSCN3702.JPG

Full back. Here you can see the kind of boarder, kind of not boarder.

DSCN3703.JPG

Not only does the square cut off that holds the stamp, but it seems excessively large. The stamp doesn't say "Disney Pin Trading" or have the ribbon running through it like the other pins I have. Is this normal?

DSCN3705.JPG

And here is the side of the pin. The edges are really clean and thick. Most scrappers I've come across are thin, lightweight, and have whacky paint and enamel fill. This one has none of those, but the back is weird to me.

I guess my question is just: IS this a scrapper? :D

I just want to make sure before I either add it to pinpics or my traders! :)

Thanks so much for the help! It's really appreciated!

Last edited:
Someone on ewBay sold it, listing it as a part of the "booster set". I found that it is pin 78570. But I still don't know about the back, and if its a scrapper or just funky! :)

Last edited:
I have the entire pin set in it's original packaging so I opened it up and snapped a quick pic. (Sorry, bad lighting.) The backstamp is large but you're right about the "pin trading" ribbon that's missing on your pin.

This pin set is still being sold at DLR (not sure about WDW) so maybe the pin you have is from a second or third production run? However that raised, curved border on yours makes me want to say it's a scapper. If you see mine, the square border is there but it doesn't curve around the side of the pin.

2mcuhop.jpg

And is it just my uneducated pin eye, or does the metal seem to be different colors? One seems silverish and the other gold-toned.

No, I definitely see what you're saying!! Very odd.

Thank you for all of the input everyone!
I would love to see images of the one traded right out of the booster pack, Adam20cali, if you would be so kind? :) It doesn't have the ribbon either?

It's bad lighting on the photo... the pin is definitely silver and not gold-toned like in the photo. I just took it quickly to show the back of the pin.

Is the pin thick? From what it looks like it is. The scrapper version is quite thin as one would expect.

Um, I would say my pin is about as thick as the pin ElysionsPrincess posted in the first post. I think the bad photo I took is a little misleading... I'll remember that next time I take a zoom shot of a pin and get better lighting.

Also comparing the two pictures, in the picture that Diablo posted, the bottom of the pin trade logo the Disney Parks stamp that appears below the date is missing on the suspected bad pin.

Most of the counterfeits I have seen of the booster set are terrible. This might be a scrapper or one that just missed QC before being packaged. But between the areas of border, the missing left side of the logo box as pointed out by Diablo and the lack of banner and Disney Parks printing I would say it is a counterfeit.

I think my best friend will still like it! I think it is real, just based on the thickness. It is a booster pack pin so I'm thinking it is just bad QC! :D

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back