• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

It's sad when scrappers are so bad you're scared to buy a pin at a great price!

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's sad when scrappers are so bad you're scared to buy a pin at a great price!

heyyouwannatrade

DPF Charter Member
DPF Charter Member
Rating - 100%
144   0   0
So I was browsing ebay earlier and came across 3 Auction Masterpiece pins priced at VERY low buy it nows. I wanted to grab all three of them so bad. Instead I sat here in shock that they were up so cheap and thought that it might be one of those too good to be true things and passed them up. This person had 100% feedback and was not one of those China sellers so I should not have been as worried but when you have the warnings on pinpics about masterpiece scrappers you can't help but worry. i am pretty bummed about it b/c I feel like I missed the chance to get some amazing prices on these pins but at the same time I am just SO MAD that we have that many scrappers out there even of nice old auction pins that you can't just easily buy something when you see a good deal b/c you are worried you would end up with a scrapper.

They sold pretty quickly so it looks like somebody got a good deal. ;) Wish I had been brave enough to take that chance myself.

Ok, done venting. :mad:

If the prices seemed to be too good to be true, they were probably fakes, especially if they were sought-after pins. I wouldn't have bought them either. However, with a seller that has such great feedback, I probably would've contacted him or her and asked questions about the pins, maybe the seller could've confirmed (or not) that they weren't scrappers. I think you did the right thing, though, in following your instincts.

Hannette

I have to agree on letting them go. You did the right thing. And yes! It is VERY frustrating having to deal with the fake pins out there! :mad:

Thanks guys! Yes, I was sure I did the right thing in passing them up. It definitely seemed too good to be true so I was not willing to take the chance. It is crazy frustrating to see these kinds of pins being scrapped. :(

I'm still not convinced the scrapper problem is as bad as everyone thinks. Many DA pins did not look the same. I got accused of selling scrappers when the pins I sold (which were returned to me and refunded) where purchased by me from Disney Auctions. And yet, the person who bought them was so paranoid of scrappers they automatically assumed any blemish meant they had to be fakes.

I've seen legit pins sold at low prices because once everyone thinks there are scrappers of them, you can no longer do anything with the pin. You can't trade it, you can't sell it.

The Scrapper paranoia among new traders has been the cause for a lot of old time traders to leave the hobby. When you can no longer trade with anyone because everyone thinks every pin has been scrapped or faked or whatever, it make the hobby a lot less fun.

That's not to say the pins you wanted weren't scrappers, but don't be too afraid of them all the time. It seems the most commonly scrapped pins are the Hidden Mickey pins and certain Mystery Pins. Otherwise it seems it's just the occasional strange counterfeit. One time I was at Walt Disney World and I found a Jessica/Roger DA pin on a lanyard. I traded for it only to find out the pin had yet to be released (ironically the real pin was released 2 days later). So while there is bad pins out there, I think outside of the HM and Mystery pins it's just not as common.

Just my 2 cents.

The fakes/scrapper are certainly ruining the hobby. I've actually given up on Hidden Mickeys altogether. I will pick up stuff when we go to the parks (which is only once or twice a year), but I will not trade for HM's online anymore. Which really really sucks. :mad:

I always say that if you are unsure about a pin on eBay, its always best to check out their other items. Is the pin in question above the normal dollar amount they deal in? How do they normally sell? How often do they sell certain things. Do they sell a lot of pins with known scrappers in other listings? These questions help me decide to go through with a deal I am not sure is too good to be true or not.

I saw pin 18702 Mickey Icon - Brazil on eBay and it was so cheap that I just believe it could possibly be real. So I passed. I hope I did the right thing...

Well...not necessarily.

There are cheap buys on eBay all the time. If the pin in question has no scrapper warnings whatsoever, then I'd jump on it. These masterpieces specifically have warnings which is what real makes you stop and scratch your head. If is was a masterpiece though that had no warning, then I would have purchased them.

I draw the line at worrying about pins with no warnings. That to me branches into paranoia. But worrying about pins with know scrappers is certainly understandable.

I bid on and won a Knights of Pin Trading Chip and Dale for a fair price (ebay). To combine postage, I started looking through the seller's other auctions, and that's when the sweat started. I need/want about 4 Vinyl pins from the Holiday #1 set, and they were selling the entire set for $25. So I asked if they were real or one of the many counterfeits? They gave me the generic "we buy or trade for all of our pins at the park, and it's difficult to know what's real." THEN, they cancelled my original win saying that I was a problem customer, lol! Better that no money changed hands.

I bid on and won a Knights of Pin Trading Chip and Dale for a fair price (ebay). To combine postage, I started looking through the seller's other auctions, and that's when the sweat started. I need/want about 4 Vinyl pins from the Holiday #1 set, and they were selling the entire set for $25. So I asked if they were real or one of the many counterfeits? They gave me the generic "we buy or trade for all of our pins at the park, and it's difficult to know what's real." THEN, they cancelled my original win saying that I was a problem customer, lol! Better that no money changed hands.

Wow, it always amazes me how some sellers act and get away with it. I would leave them a negative feedback for not completing the transaction.

Well...not necessarily.

There are cheap buys on eBay all the time. If the pin in question has no scrapper warnings whatsoever, then I'd jump on it. These masterpieces specifically have warnings which is what real makes you stop and scratch your head. If is was a masterpiece though that had no warning, then I would have purchased them.

I draw the line at worrying about pins with no warnings. That to me branches into paranoia. But worrying about pins with know scrappers is certainly understandable.

Yes, this is the way I look at it. If there is no scrapper warning I don't worry as much (unless it is being sold FROM China in which case I just would not take the chance...haha) but since I have heard talk of the masterpiece pins being scrapped I knew it would be a wise idea to pass on them. I am not typically over paranoid about scrappers. I don't collect hidden mickey's or buy trader lots partly b/c of them and partly b/c I just don't like them as much as other pins but that is about the extent for me. I know you can find some amazing deals from ebay. I have found many crazy awesome deals out there that I have been more than happy with but this one just gave me that NO WAY feeling...lol

I just really wish that we did not have to deal with the scrapper problem at all but especially with the older low le pins. That is what I have always liked collecting more than anything else so I hate there are some bad ones out there now.

I wonder if this is the same one that I bid on (for a very low price)...I never took a look at their other auctions though - which I usually do before bidding on anything to make sure it's not a scrapper

The fakes/scrapper are certainly ruining the hobby. I've actually given up on Hidden Mickeys altogether. I will pick up stuff when we go to the parks (which is only once or twice a year), but I will not trade for HM's online anymore. Which really really sucks. :mad:

I feel the same way about the hidden mickeys. There are a lot of them I'd like to add to my collection, but not being close to a park (to trade for them at the source) makes it hard, and trading them online is a shot on the dark, you never know what you're going to get. I will say that I've had some luck trading here on DPF for hidden mickeys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back