• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

Limited edition counterfeits selling on ebay

Status
Not open for further replies.
Limited edition counterfeits selling on ebay

Flashcal

New DPF Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have bought 2 limited edition of 250 pins recently on ebay that I spent a small fortune on and the finish of the paint/enamel seems either slightly scratched or there are maybe possible paint brush strokes on them. Since I'm relatively new to pin trading I was wondering if it's common for these very high end pins to be faked. They are both otherwise perfect and very good quality.

Can you share any closeup pictures of the front & back of the pins so we can determine if these are counterfeits or scrappers?

I can later when I get home but the general question is, is slight surface scraping or slightly visible brush strokes usually absent on LE 250 pins. They are both of Chip and Dale. One dressed and Seven dwarfs and one and Buzz and Woody. Also since they ha previous owners is it possible that even light wear and tear can produce scratches across the surface from being in an album or something.

Last edited:
Like Thing2 said, we'd need to look at pictures (and if you can list their PinPics number and/or DisneyPinPlace number) to be able to give you a better educated guess. Not all dips/paint flaws are indicative of scrappers. Sometimes, production-wise, that's how the real pins come out.

I *think* I know which ones you mean by your description.
Pin 73491: DisneyStore.com - Seven Dwarfs Costumed Chip an' Dale Pin
and
Pin 57693: DisneyShopping.com - Chip 'n Dale as Buzz & Woody Halloween Dress-Up Series Pin
?

There are no scrapper warnings on either of them. If anyone on the forum owns these pins, they can give you a better idea, and can possibly post pictures of their own pins for comparison.

I can later when I get home but the general question is, is slight surface scraping or slightly visible brush strokes usually absent on LE 250 pins. They are both of Chip and Dale. One dressed and Seven dwarfs and one and Buzz and Woody. Also since they ha previous owners is it possible that even light wear and tear can produce scratches across the surface from being in an album or something.

Surface scratches are not indicative of the pin being a scrapper or counterfeit. All pins may get scratched. Sometimes an indication of a scrapper is "rough" looking paint or brush strokes, or if the pin isn't glossy, but not always. As Jazzytrumpet said also, sometimes authorized pins are sent out like that. The only real way to tell if a pin is authentic or a scrapper/counterfeit is to examine it front and back, compared to a real pin.

I have pins I bought directly from Disney that aren't as shiny as other pins and have faint lines that look like they could be brush strokes or scratches if you look very closely. Do you have pictures? Perhaps someone that has the pins in question can take pictures as well so you can compare as Thing2 suggested.

Pictures will be useful. Just because a pin has flaws does not make it automatically a fake/counterfeit/scrapper as the others have said.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back