• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

DSF/DSSH Live from Hollywood - Planes release

Status
Not open for further replies.
DSF/DSSH Live from Hollywood - Planes release
Spoke to Ed the manager today. The September pin release flyer is done and will be displayed next week.

Woot!

Now with these leftover Planes pins, along with the long lasting fairies pins, maybe we'll see the return of the discount pins??? Maybe???

From the people I've talked to and asked why they don't like Cars, it seems like the majority expect all Pixar movies to be like WALL-E, UP, and Toy Story 3. So because Cars is fun and not this extremely emotional touching film, they think it's not up to par with other Pixar films.

I agree that not everyone has to like the same things, but I don't think Cars is this terrible film that Pixar made a mistake on and it seems like a lot of people feel like it is a mistake. I don't think Pixar has made a bad film, there are some I don't really care for, but I don't think they are bad.

Cars is a Pixar mistake? Are you kidding me !

Ask Pixar if it was a mistake with the profits they are making from this film. Also if Disney thought it was a mistake, why build Cars Land ?

maybe there is not as many Cars pin collectors as Tangled or UP but that does not make it a mistake. Look at the other merchandise and Cars stuff probably has more sales than most films from Pixar.

To me Tangled is very popular with pin collectors but the film was not that great ! ( My opinion ) Everyone has different likes l

The pins are tailored after the surprise release Toy Story pin. They are 3Dish and look pretty good.

photo-4.jpg

Anyone know what the 3rd plane is? (the actual plane it's based on, that is.) Looks sort of F-14 Tomcat-ish, but I can't tell for sure (maybe another plane has a similar look...). Haven't seen the film or really looked into much...

WE saw the movie at the D23 expo. It was really good. Love the pins. They are nice quality. Cant wait for the end of the month and september. Anyone know what is going to be in September?

I was happy with the quality of the pins this release. I only exchanged out 1 pin.

I find it interesting that 231 vouchers were given out, but there were pins left after all was said and done. Folks are definitely bringing a whole "crew" along to ensure they get a decent wristband. Although in this case, if everyone had only brought the number of people they needed, the vouchers would have been unnecessary. Guess that is one drawback of the random system.

:wavey::wavey::wavey: pin buying is best done in a pack.... lol :wavey::wavey::wavey:

Anyone know what the 3rd plane is? (the actual plane it's based on, that is.) Looks sort of F-14 Tomcat-ish, but I can't tell for sure (maybe another plane has a similar look...). Haven't seen the film or really looked into much...

They are F/A-18's. F14 has more swept back wing-style. F16's only have 1 tale wing. I think their names are Echo and Bravo but then I saw a reference to one named "Zed" in the childrens books they sell at DSF which also looked like a jet. My company builds F18's so I bought the marquee and one of the jet fighter ones to keep. Passed on the other two.

Cars is a Pixar mistake? Are you kidding me !

Ask Pixar if it was a mistake with the profits they are making from this film. Also if Disney thought it was a mistake, why build Cars Land ?

maybe there is not as many Cars pin collectors as Tangled or UP but that does not make it a mistake. Look at the other merchandise and Cars stuff probably has more sales than most films from Pixar.

First off, I think the first Cars movie was great and it did well for the Pixar/Disney brand. Cars 2 was pretty bad and I haven't seen Planes but I'll rent that when it comes to Redbox.

Having said that, this what I've heard about the Cars franchise and Cars Land:
Apparently, when Disney was in the early stages of expanding California Adventure, it was decided that a "Pixar" land would be created and they choose Cars. To lay the groundwork for Cars Land, they built up the brand, made Cars 2, and manufactured more merchandise than needed to oversaturate the market. Cars 2 was kind of a bomb but it did what it was designed to do, keep the Cars brand on everyone's mind. The Planes movie is just continuing the process.

Cars 2 and Bugs Life are the two lowest-grossing Pixar films in the US and yet both brands are represented in a "land" at a Disney park; file this under things that make you go "hmmm..."

Another rumor I've heard is that John Lasseter had a huge hand in bringing Cars to a Disney park and may have worked that into the deal when Disney purchased Pixar.

In the end, the brand has become a cash cow for Disney and I'm sure we'll see more Cars movies or spinoffs but I doubt we'll see an increase of Cars/Planes pin collectors.

Also the reason they chose to make a Cars Land is because Cars merchandise makes A LOT of money. I was told during my training at California Adventure that the only franchise that makes more money in merchandise is Star Wars.

I liked the movie it was OK, my son loved it. The thing is this isn't a PIXAR movie it's a cars spinoff. If you watched the movie they didn't have a pixar short film at the start like all the other pixar films.

http://uk.movies.yahoo.com/confusion-over-pixars-association-planes-132400403.html

but are there still marquee pins available?

edit: as of NOON Mon Aug 19th, 2013 they are sold out of the marquee pin but have everything else.

Last edited:
Also the reason they chose to make a Cars Land is because Cars merchandise makes A LOT of money. I was told during my training at California Adventure that the only franchise that makes more money in merchandise is Star Wars.

wow cars makes the much? Any chance they change that soaring over ca to a planes ride?

Worldwide: $461,983,149 <--- Cars

Cars Budget = $120 million

Planes is currently at
= Worldwide: $52,390,000

Planes budget = $50 million

I watched it. It was good. Typical storyline. It was a fun movie and if you were expecting anything more you will be disappointed

I think a big reason its not doing well is that Turbo came out 2 weeks ago and its virtually the same movie. Just swap out the main characters

Disney focused on Cars and Cars Land because they needed more stuff to sell to the little boy demographic. They say so in their investor meetings. They pushed the Pirates movies and Cars/CarsLand because the princesses & pixies are going strong for little girls. That was also part of the reason for acquiring Marvel, to sell super heroes to little boys and their parents. Now they have the princesses & pixies for girls and the pirates, cars, super heroes, star wars, etc for boys. Next they are doing Dinosaurs with The Good Dinosaur. I can almost guarantee you they will do a train movie, even if it's direct to DVD like Planes was supposed to be. Then they can make planes, trains, and automobiles.

First off, I think the first Cars movie was great and it did well for the Pixar/Disney brand. Cars 2 was pretty bad and I haven't seen Planes but I'll rent that when it comes to Redbox.

Having said that, this what I've heard about the Cars franchise and Cars Land:
Apparently, when Disney was in the early stages of expanding California Adventure, it was decided that a "Pixar" land would be created and they choose Cars. To lay the groundwork for Cars Land, they built up the brand, made Cars 2, and manufactured more merchandise than needed to oversaturate the market. Cars 2 was kind of a bomb but it did what it was designed to do, keep the Cars brand on everyone's mind. The Planes movie is just continuing the process.

Cars 2 and Bugs Life are the two lowest-grossing Pixar films in the US and yet both brands are represented in a "land" at a Disney park; file this under things that make you go "hmmm..."

Another rumor I've heard is that John Lasseter had a huge hand in bringing Cars to a Disney park and may have worked that into the deal when Disney purchased Pixar.

In the end, the brand has become a cash cow for Disney and I'm sure we'll see more Cars movies or spinoffs but I doubt we'll see an increase of Cars/Planes pin collectors.

Bugs Life and Cars 2 maybe took in less than tangled but overall done a lot better. Bugs Life and Cars made profit.

Tangled budget $260,000,000 Gross takings $200,821,936
Cars 2 budget $200,000,000 Gross $191,452,396
Bugs Life budget $120,000,000 Gross $162,798,565
Cars budget $120,000,000 Gross $244,082,982

Even though A Bug's Life, Cars, and Cars 2 didn't make as much money as other Pixar movies, they still made a crap load of money. A Bug's Life made over 300 million worldwide, Cars made over 400 million worldwide and Cars 2 made over 500 million worldwide. Other film studios would love for their least successful movies to make that much money.

anyone have the marquee version? For sale? I don't really buy alot of these pins just the ones of the movies I watch with my son.

wow cars makes the much? Any chance they change that soaring over ca to a planes ride?

I doubt it. The Soarin over california may get a facelift, but if they made it a cars/planes ride it would encounter fan resistance. I joke that DCA is really Pixar Park, what with all the pixar stuff.... But it is STILL a Disney park, for now.

DCA pixar attractions: Pixar Parade. Monsters inc. Turtle talk with Crush. Bugs land has 4 rides and 1 3D show. Carsland currently has 3 rides, and a DJ car dance show (with room for more stuff) Toystory Midway Mania. Wilderness trail with the Up Movie theme.

Did disney really do the Planes? I am confused by this. Planes is clearly Cars Universe, which is Pixars universe. So how is it that DISNEY did this movie?

My dad took Jordan and I to see planes after he took us to get a set of the planes pins, my dad is awesome! And I owe him. But we really got a kick out of the movie, we all liked it lots. I told my dad to ignore the reviews and just watch and give it his own review. Well we all loved it. Our favorite part was when the plane said Dag nab it! We all laughed because my dad says it all the time teehee.

Domestically Tanlged only made that much but overall they made 590 million gross

Bugs Life and Cars 2 maybe took in less than tangled but overall done a lot better. Bugs Life and Cars made profit.

Tangled budget $260,000,000 Gross takings $200,821,936
Cars 2 budget $200,000,000 Gross $191,452,396
Bugs Life budget $120,000,000 Gross $162,798,565
Cars budget $120,000,000 Gross $244,082,982

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back