• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

Lottery?

Lottery?

wmcdow

New DPF Member
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
It would be neat to have a lottery. Let's take Alice's 60th Framed picture for example:

400002358152.jpg

This would be a hot item that people would enter $15 for a chance to win it. The moderator may even make money and at that point, decide what to do with the profit.

OR

Have members donate items to be entered in a lottery.

Something to think about :)

Would be a good idea. I'd chip in for a chance to win something good. But if there is any profit, what should the money go towards?

I'm going to say a pizza party.

Charity would be my personal favorite choice for where the money goes,followed by server costs/upgrades to site.Followed by funding for new items for new raffles/lotteries

Charity would be my personal favorite choice for where the money goes,followed by server costs/upgrades to site.Followed by funding for new items for new raffles/lotteries
We definitely would like to do something like this for charity and charity only.

We have actually tried to set something up officially with a few charities, but were denied use of their name. There are quite a few steps to follow before setting up a charity raffle.

I believe only when we have the go-ahead from an official charity organization can we set up something like this. Otherwise, it would essentially be gambling. Then all kinds of legal issues pop up. And once you start taking people's money, the scrutiny and the reasons for people to cry foul increases.

But like I've said, we would love to do something like this, but until we get word from an official body, it will have to wait. :)

We definitely would like to do something like this for charity and charity only.

We have actually tried to set something up officially with a few charities, but were denied use of their name. There are quite a few steps to follow before setting up a charity raffle.

I believe only when we have the go-ahead from an official charity organization can we set up something like this. Otherwise, it would essentially be gambling. Then all kinds of legal issues pop up. And once you start taking people's money, the scrutiny and the reasons for people to cry foul increases.

But like I've said, we would love to do something like this, but until we get word from an official body, it will have to wait. :)

Yeah it's alot of work to get the go-ahead from the charitable organizations,since they themselves have to be wary and watchful of their names.

I do believe you also have to contact the local agency which handles gambling in whatever area the raffle is held (namely wherever the person in charge lives) So most likely the California Gambling Control Commission (not 100% on this)

If it ever does indeed happen,you'd just need a nice clear "fine print" stating the rules and regulations(preferably written or at least read by an attorney specializing in these matters),to avoid any issues,and a way to prove the money does indeed go to the charity.

What orgs have you contacted about this? You can pm me the names if you don't wanna mention them here ;)

Hopefully this can come to fruition soon,as everyone benefits

Ah I didn't think about the gambling laws. It would be very cool to get it up and running but seems to be a ton of work to do so. Make-a-wish foundation would be cool...sending a kid to Disney World would be appropriate ;)

Do any of our DPF members own/run a charity? Might be easier going thru their charity..

Are ppl working on this ??? I may b able to help a bit. i work in promotions and have done a lot of charity work. It will not b all that hard. just takes a little time and few steps. I can even help with getting big stuff to give away. i often see harleys, trailers and many onther high dollar raffles and give aways. Let me know who is working on this and how it is going. Im new here but this is right up my alley.

Cool! I'm not actively working on it but would love to see it happen. Even if we follow the legal steps, we still need the green light from the moderators. I'm not familiar with the process but I'm willing to help in whatever.

Brick ?? As like we use the money made to buy a brick?? not sure what you mean. I know they used to sale the step stones out front of the gate but im not sure if they still do that anymore.. Any ideas are good. I agree that we will need sum kind of ok or team work with the heads of DPF. Lets keep this going and come up with things ppl would like to win and things to do with the money made. (after anything needed to run lotto and or DPF) I like the idea of make a wish or sumthing that would involve kids and disney. what ideas do yall have ???

Bricklayer could lay the brick :lol: ok...I shouldn't try to be funny at 6:30 am

Here's a thought...since there seems to be a lot of red tape with the whole making money/charity thing...how about this:

1. We list an item
2. People enter
3. We divide the cost of the item by the number of people that entered.
4. If the item costs $100 and 10 people entered, each person would ante up $10 to a paypal account.
5. Random roll = winner
6. No profit!

Well...now that I typed it all out...this still sounds like a lottery lol.

Not so true, I am a Past Grand Knight of the "Knights of Columbus" a 501c Catholic Mens international mens organization & we do raffles all the time for chairity & we do this all the time so all the proceeds from the raffle go to whoever we want to donate to. We donate to the VA, DAV, Children's Hospitals, Disaster relief, ect...
http://www.kofc.org/en//index.html

Feel free to check it out & any questions feel free to PM me.

The knights are a very good group. My friend is a 2nd degree i belive. This is realy not that hard. It will just take a little time and some lag work. I also have done a lot of raffles and donations. The only gray area is going to b that fact that our club DPF. Covers all states. It may be easyer to have more than one raffle so each can b local. Im sure there is a way to set it up for all states. i just think everyone or all states will want the money to stay in that state.

I have an idea!!!!!!

Why don't we do this and then use the money to sponsor a DPF team for the Choc Walk held at Disneyland!!!!!! Its in October! I really want to do it this year and it would be great to get a group together! Then the money goes to charity and is held at Disneyland :0)

Back