• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

Mentoring!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mentoring!!!

wonderwoman3553

New DPF Member
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Hello every1, I'm Jessica. I was wondering if there would be any1 out there would be kind enough to mentoring in how to find some of those amazing looking pins. I have no idea where to start and so on. I'm pretty new to this. Any type of help would be greatly apreciated!

The first question is what do you like? The second question is what your budget is? The third question is where do you live?

If you love Jessica Rabbit pin and live in Nome AK and your budget is only $15 month, then there is not much you can do to get the really really hard pins out there which you might like. If you love Darkwing Duck pins, live by DSF, and have a budget of $100 a month you can probably get all the Darkwing Duck pins within a few days.

kajtdd

I like Beauty and the Beast, PODM's, Little Mermaid and some other random disney characters. :) Not sure what my budget would be. Probably $30 a month. I live a little over an hour away from Disneyland.

What I look like I have a facebook if would like to see what I look like. My budget would be between $15-$50 a month. I live in Southern California. Is there anymore great info you have share with me! THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP!!!

What I look like I have a facebook if would like to see what I look like. My budget would be between $15-$50 a month. I live in Southern California. Is there anymore great info you have share with me! THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP!!!

They weren't asking what you look like.... They were asking what pins do you like. lol :)

The first question is what do you like?

What I look like I have a facebook if would like to see what I look like.

LOL. I am quite sure what you look like has no relation to whether kajtdd will help you or not. ;)

Since you live in Southern CA you already have a great advantage, being close to a Disney park!

True I do live rather close and I do have an annual pass. I do have one disadvantage I don't have a car and not to mention that my computer is having issues. So its giving me a hard time up loading pics!

I think so. I have to check again. I tried looking once and got confused with all pins and #s. That is why I was asking for help.
As you all can tell I get bombbared quite easily.

YES you are under your Id here..you know you can add that to your profile..
it will appear under your id
~~~~~~on the left hand side...
just go to your settings above on your DPF browser..click edit profile
scroll down and it will say"PinpicsID"add it in the box and hit"SAVE changes"and it will magically appear under your ID
like mine does

NOW ..do have pins to add to pinpics?/trades/wants/collection
if so ..just do your best in describing them and thats how you find the numbers for them
if you need help searching we are here for ya

Judy

First thing I would also go through PinPics.com when you have time to see the pins you like. Build a wants list. Unless you are really going to get into pin trading, I would avoid the mad rush of Brave pins / PODMs pins. Remember, this is a hobby not an investment.

A very important point is never acquire a pin you dont like, meaning that you might be stuck with it.

All that being said, being near the park is a great start. The first thing I would do is go to the NFFC convention at the end of the month. You will find some great buys there; especially on older but nicer pins. You can get good deals as low as $3-$5 a pin which you can use to build your trader base. If you are building a trader base, i personally would go for pins you dont see everywhere. This is one the problems with the "hot" pins right now; if everyone buys it for a trader then everyone has it.

If you are going to buy pins on ebay, stay away from any auction that doesnt post the actual pins. Stay away from Hidden Mickeys. Stay away from any set that is under $2.50 per pin. I would buy sets of pins that has one or two pins that belong to your collection and the rest you can trade away.

Hope that helps.

kajtdd

First thing I would also go through PinPics.com when you have time to see the pins you like. Build a wants list. Unless you are really going to get into pin trading, I would avoid the mad rush of Brave pins / PODMs pins. Remember, this is a hobby not an investment.

A very important point is never acquire a pin you dont like, meaning that you might be stuck with it.

All that being said, being near the park is a great start. The first thing I would do is go to the NFFC convention at the end of the month. You will find some great buys there; especially on older but nicer pins. You can get good deals as low as $3-$5 a pin which you can use to build your trader base. If you are building a trader base, i personally would go for pins you dont see everywhere. This is one the problems with the "hot" pins right now; if everyone buys it for a trader then everyone has it.

If you are going to buy pins on ebay, stay away from any auction that doesnt post the actual pins. Stay away from Hidden Mickeys. Stay away from any set that is under $2.50 per pin. I would buy sets of pins that has one or two pins that belong to your collection and the rest you can trade away.

Hope that helps.

kajtdd

What is the NFFC convention? I've never heard of it...

Oh My Gosh!!! THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! I so can not believe I did that all myself. I'm not that great with computers. Now just figure out what pins I would to trade, buy and so on!!!

The big NFFC convention bi-annual Disneyana convention held in Anaheim (usually around July 17 and around MLK Birthday). It is a bunch of Disney enthusiastics getting together to hold talks about Disney. On the last day they have large sales floor where you can purchase stuff. In the past they have had pin trading and room hopping (which is free activity that has vendors and non-vendors opening their hotel suits and selling some of their stuff the day(s) before the sales floor opens).

According this post, the room hopping will occur on July 20 and July 21.

This Event will be held at the
Crowne Plaza Resort Anaheim / Garden Grove
12021 Harbor Blvd
Garden Grove, CA 92840

For a complete schedule of Disneyana events that week (if you are interested), can be found here.

Finally, there are some other collectible stores around Anaheim. On place you might look is at Frank and Sons, which is large warehouse hosting a number of collectible vendors. There are a handful of disney pin sellers there. Frank and Sons is located in the City of Industry, but is only opened on Weds. nights and Saturday.

Another opition is visiting the My-D Collectible Shop, located on Beach Blvd. It is run by a community member (mydpins) and is shop of various vendors selling stuff, including pins. You can sometime find good deals there. They also host events at their shop (they just had an event for memorial day; they are most likely going to have one for Labor Day).

Hope that helps.

kajtdd

If you live so close to the parks the easiest way to get started is to simply go to Disneyland, most of the stores sell pins. Then on a weekday, I don't think I'd start my trading/buying experience on a release day, go up to Hollywood, and check out DSF, they always have some really beautiful pins. Joining this thread is a great way to get all the details you'll ever need to learn about the ins and outs of trading/collecting.

Welcome!

PS NFFC, which goes by something else now...DFC I think is an awesome place to get pins! You can get really fantastic pins from all ends of the pin spectrum, from very expensive to pretty cheap, a great place to start a collection and build up those very necessary traders, it adds up fast, people end up spending hundreds of dollars. I will say though that for a new pin collector it can be very intimidating because there are so many people there, but if you're OK with crowds you should definitely go, just go with a lot of cash, although many of the vendors do have access to credit card banking, just be prepared to spend a lot, if you're just getting into pin trading, everything is going to look good, especially if you haven't got a real sense of what you want to collect.

A couple of questions. Where would I be able to get the WDI Pins at? Also I saw some limited edition action pins at pin trading event on the 29th at the Pardise Hotel. Where would I be able to find pins like that?

A couple of questions. Where would I be able to get the WDI Pins at? Also I saw some limited edition action pins at pin trading event on the 29th at the Pardise Hotel. Where would I be able to find pins like that?

You can purchase WDI pins directly at Mickey's of Glendale. To get into that, though, you need to be a cast member or have a cast member sign you in. Sometimes they also allow D23 members to go to Mickey's of Glendale.

WDI will most likely be for sale at the convention or one of the stores mentioned above. Also, in the past Mickey's of Glendale has had a booth at these types of conventions to sell. However, I do not know if they will be there this time.

As for the limited edition pins, again you can find them in the secondary market.

Hope that helps.

kajtdd

Best piece of advice before you buy or trade for any pins:

Do. Your. Homework.

Know what pins you have and what they're worth and what pins you want and what they're worth and these days, more importantly, do your homework on fakes/scrappers. Nothing feels worse than trading away a good pin for a bad one. So if you don't know or you aren't sure, feel free to say no to any trade offered.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back