• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

Newbie Needs Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Newbie Needs Help!

Ventchick

The DPF Ventriloquist
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
New here and I just got my first "lot" of pins from Ebay (newbie move, I know). I fear that they are all fake (even though some are cute) but I don't know enough about pins yet to tell.

I'm gonna post the pics I took of them, and hopefully you guys can tell me if they're real/fake/scrappers... and also how you came to know that.

I'd appreciate it :)

bth_101_0973.jpg

bth_101_0974.jpg

bth_101_0975.jpg

bth_101_0976.jpg

bth_101_0978.jpg

More to come....

I'm not too good at telling real pins from scrappers myself. (I've only been trading for six months now.) With my own pins, I get concerned if there are dips in the paint, if the colors just don't seem right, or if the writing/dates on the back of the pin don't match up to whatever it says on "PinPics."

Unfortunately, most of the cheaper "lots" on eBay seem to be made up entirely (or mostly) of scrappers - so you're probably right to be worried! :anxious:

Rookie mistake. I did the same thing when I was starting out! :facepalm:

Good luck! I hope I'm wrong. Hopefully, someone else with more experience will post here soon and let you know for sure.

Im new to pin trading as well. But I have recieved a fake pin from ebay and how I knew it was fake is that the edges arent smooth they are rough and kind of jagged. And it is very light, it just doesnt feel like good quality. And the detail on it isnt as precise as the real one. You can go to pinpics.com and see pictures of the pins and compare.

The circus special duplicates dont even match, the detail is off from each other. So those are probably fake, and some of the others look a bit questionable.

I get my pins off of ebay and on here :) Just make sure on ebay you look at their reviews and see what people are saying and just look at what else they are selling. Havent gotten anymore fakes since I started doing my research!!

Goodluck to you!!

Another tip is to search the pins prior to bidding/purchasing on PinPics and if they have a scrapper alert do not buy them.

I don't buy them if they have a scrapper alert as I don't want to waste my money. :)

I know that that sitting Mickey wearing the pink tux one is a scrapper. I know because I got the same one in a lot... Before I knew to research pins first. If you look at his eyes, the area around his pupils should be white. It looks flesh colored like his face. Same with mine. :(

I was burned by scrappers when I first started. Especially at this pin trading board a vendor has at one of our local flea markets. I would say the vast majority of those are scrappers, especially the bowling pin one(I have 2) and the Donald Duck ones. Check for rough edges and dips in the paint. Also if it's a different shade of color is usually a scrapper. Pinpics.com will definitely give you good info.

I've gone to pinpics to check most of these out... seems like most (if not all) are either scrappers/counterfeit. That said, I just went to my local antique store and scored HUGE on a GIANT lot of authentic pins... mostly LE. I'm going to try to trade some of them (as soon as I have enough posts on DPF). I even got the whole train set that I wanted!!!!! SQUEE!
:madhatter: :hsd: :cheshire:

Another common fault in Hidden Mickey pins, that may hint at them not being genuine is if the backstamps are crooked.
I agree with the others; jagged edges, bits that shouldn't be there & stick out from the edges, pins being very thin, having what looks like brushstrokes over the front, colours being off are all signs of unauthentic pins.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back