• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

DLR No more pin trading tables at DLR

Status
Not open for further replies.
DLR No more pin trading tables at DLR

2Infinity

New DPF Member
Rating - 100%
31   0   0
My boyfriend (NBeyond) works graveyard shift at Disneyland and just informed me that "As of today...Monday...no more pin trading tables on dlr".

I couldn't believe it. Pin trading is a fun, social activity that Disney pushes and promotes (plenty of pin stores, [what used to be] pin trading locations, cast members with pins, etc.), so why is it that they've taken away pin tables at WDW and now DLR?

Uuggghhhhh, guess we'll have to stick with online trading..? No more personal interaction..?

" Cast to guest trading is still highly encouraged and you will see pin trading events in the future."

Yay, go Disney -_-

means I'm currently at Disneyland working until 6am :)

Also, just went over and checked. Umbrellas are there, but tables are officially gone :(

Sadly, Disney gets a fair number of complaints about the people who set up at the trading tables, or have "camped out" in some of the dining areas. It would not be the first time they have "removed" trading tables in a desire to address the problem or send a message to the more mercantile (or should that be mercenary) elements of the pin trading community

In some cases, Disney may be planning to "move" the trading locations. I have heard rumors of a new location being opened near the Disney store in Downtown Disney. There have also been rumors of a location being established over in CA Adventure.

In other cases, the tables were "removed" due to actual refurbishing or remodeling of an area, and later restored.

At this point, may be best to take a wait and see attitude. Polite inquiries to Disney may get a more official answer than outright demands they be restored.

no tables....use the floor! NEVER GIVE IN, NEVER SURRENDER

lol

Are these the tables outside LGM? Any way you can use the closest tables from Tomorrowland Terrace next door? Or perhaps the old tables we used to use that is now in the Mary Poppins restaurant/area?

Of course this happens right before my visit. Keep us posted about the tables and new trading spots that magically appear in response to this change. Thanks.

Well, you can always bring your own table. At least they left the umbrellas so you have shade to trade :)

Well, there is always the stage area behind Big Thunder Ranch BBQ. They opened it and nobody came. As far as I know, that area is still a sanctioned pin trading area with tables, chairs, refreshments, and restrooms, nearby. Not to mention that there is usually some mighty fine entertainment, upon the stage, on weekends.

Haven't they removed the tables before at DLR when it starts getting close to their busy fall/winter season, or am I just hallucinating?

Laaaammeee! Anyone have a good idea for a pin trading spot? Maybe back at the Big Thunder Ranch? They did try pushing that about a year ago.

This was my sad pin trader picture when they took the tables out over in Frontierland.

f25d1a4a.jpg

Someone needs to take a sad pin trader picture by LGM.

Funny. Not sure who's calling the shots on pin trading but the communication to the community is pretty weak. In addition, while they are probably improving the experience for the casual Disney guest who might bump into an unsavory trader, they're damaging it for some very hard core Disney fans, including some who drop a pile of money.

My personal experience on this is mixed. I've run into the sharks and still do. And I've run into other folks I just as soon not trade with. They definitely are no fun to deal with. Some are high pressure. Some need lessons in personal grooming. Some need another life (honestly 4-5 days a week, all day at the trading tables??). But I've also had some pretty wonderful experiences trading. So far the good outweighs the bad but the mix of experiences, both with other guests and with Disney (direct interaction as well as changing policies and overall pin culture) is something I continue to consider.

I like some of the decisions Disney has made on trading, but dislike others. Trading tables disappearing without a word to the community is one I dislike. They could at least lie and say that tables are being "refurbished". The truth is that Disney is probably watching sales and surveys very closely and comparing them to provide the best bottom line. They do this all the time and most of the time we don't notice. Because pin trading is so near and dear to us and the tables are so obvious, we notice this test.

If Disney had found that removing the trading tables from DTD had hurt business, I guarantee you they'd be back. I'm sure that the "regulars" who hung out there and caused the issues were enough of a stumbling block that they reduced Disney's revenues. Easy call for management.

I think most of the traders I've run into are good folks and improve the overall Disney experience. But how many jerks does it take to damage the Disney experience and therefore reduce Disney revenues?

This happened last year during the halloween haunt season... they use that corner for a photo op with storm troopers during the halloween nights. They may have just decided to keep the tables moved until after hallowwen haunt is done. I wouldnt blame them, it would reduce set up time if the tables were not there.

I predict they will return, just like they have every time after CM's get word that it they are gone. Lets not panic yet. If you do inquire formally with guest services, make sure it is polite.

The BBQ Ranch is so far out of the way in the back corner no one ever goes back there. The barrels at Westward Ho were closed for "Refurbishment" but that was just a lie fed to us. They never planned to reopen them. It's a choke point and the tables just made it extra busy. It was one the best spot so far, lots of shade. So for now I guess all we have is the boat docks on Sundays?

Funny I was there last night and I told my wife I thought it would be a good spot to trade in DCA at Taste Pilot's Grill, right in front of the restaurant by Fly n Buy. There's more tables there than at Flo's V8 where I wanted to try to start pin trading when Cars Land opened up. Those front tables, just behind the benches aren't used that much, it's open enough to be seen but out of the way enough

Also, I love that you are 2Infinity and your boyfriend is NBeyond. Haha.

Laaaammeee! Anyone have a good idea for a pin trading spot? Maybe back at the Big Thunder Ranch? They did try pushing that about a year ago.

This was my sad pin trader picture when they took the tables out over in Frontierland.

f25d1a4a.jpg

Someone needs to take a sad pin trader picture by LGM.

Aww!! Hehehe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back