• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

"No Thanks" or No Response, which would you prefer?

After sending a TA, which would you prefer: "No, Thanks" or No Response?

• No Thanks

Votes: 36 69.2%
  • No Response

Votes: 16 30.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
"No Thanks" or No Response, which would you prefer?

unibear

DPF Charter Member
DPF Charter Member
Rating - 100%
51   0   0
Hey all,

I know we've had these discussions before, but I'm kind of curious to see what the distribution for this question will be for the DPF community, so here goes:

When you send out a TA, would you rather hear back with a polite 'No, thanks' or would you prefer to simply get no response?

For me, I'd rather get the polite 'No, thanks' so that way I would stop waiting anxiously to hear back from this trader. However, I have gotten used to not hearing anything back at all.

I prefer the answer in the title! I love when people put "Re: PinPics Trade Request - DECLINE/ACCEPT/COUNTER" That way I don't have to even look at it if it's a decline. :)

hey I prefer the no thanks, I will accept the not intrested, I dont think ignoring anyone is the way to go in any social situation, lets face it , you never know who, the ones you shine off, know. Maybe they only know one person, maybe they run thier own boards and soon , your name isnt so respected.
Just sayin its always better sense and manners to respond when someone address you, unless they happen to be a pin shark tryin to get you to trade for something you know is a scrapper , then .............
Well Thumpers moma always said, if you cant say something nice......

Unless you are providing me with some additional information I can actually use like "I'll have to pass, I really want pin X in exchange for my pin", I'd rather have a no response. A "no thank you" doesn't help me and just clutters up my inbox and gets my hopes up for a few seconds until I open the email.

I just assume I won't get responses back when I send out TA's and then when I do it is a nice surprise....that is unless it is a big fat "no thanks".

If it is a no, then I would prefer not to hea back from them.

Although I personally send back a message if their request is a little outlandish, so they will no for future. For example, I had someone TA me asking for my Jumbo for one of their smaller, not difficult pins. I kindly wrote them back and mentioned that for the type of pin they are asking about, it would need to be a similar pin, such as Jumbo or two regular pins.

I received a very nice response back and they were willing to trade for two pins.

So I guess giving an answer is good, but I really would prefer not to get the no's.

Vicki

I prefer no response, if they aren't going to counter offer or anything then its kind of a big let down. I open my mailbox and see a bunch of emails and get all excited I'm going to make some trades then when most of them are 'no thanks' my balloon bursts all over :p

I'm with Erica on this one. A bunch of "No thank you" emails just clutter my inbox. It's just easier for everyone.

I'd rather have no response, because it means...

-I don't have to clear or file the message from my phone and laptop.

-I don't have to check my phone just to get a "no thanks" if I'm busy at the time.

-I wouldn't have to deal with people who seem incapable of declining politely.

-I wouldn't feel obligated to spend time sending out a bunch of decline messages myself.

I really have no idea why the decline message is part of Pinpics' etiquette. If someone wants to work a trade, or at least discuss possible options, they can e-mail me back. If I don't hear back from them, they obviously didn't want to trade, which is fine. Seems clean and simple. Beats the heck out of getting a bunch of messages forwarded to my blackberry, buzzing my pocket all morning. @_@ Haha.

-JD

Last edited:
I'd rather get a "no thanks". That way it has a chance of opening communication between the two traders and could possibly create other kinds of trades. And, I know they are a live person who actually has the pin for trade!

i'd rather get a "no thanks". That way it has a chance of opening communication between the two traders and could possibly create other kinds of trades. And, i know they are a live person who actually has the pin for trade!

this

In general, no response is fine. I don't like the "getting hopes up" feeling either. But what I wish, is that there was a check box option for "Member wants to discuss what type of pin would be acceptable in trade."

I know there is a comment box, but sometimes its easy to focus on the pin request itself, and ignore or not see the comment. If the only pin you have on their wants is no where close to same value, the recipient may wrongly interpret it as a serious request, and not want to take the time to deal with people who either don't understand or are fishing. I wonder if the person saw no pin request, if they would be more willing to respond. Also, it would allow for contact in those situations where you don't own a pin on their wants list.

I perfer the "no thanks", but I understand why people do not respond. I also like what talesoftobv said:

I prefer the answer in the title! I love when people put "Re: PinPics Trade Request - DECLINE/ACCEPT/COUNTER" That way I don't have to even look at it if it's a decline.
I have just started to do that for both my ACCEPT and DECLINE and I love it when I get responses done that way.

I prefer no response at all. And please, no excuses. No thanks is fine, but i seem to get some really wacky excuses :/

I prefer no response at all. And please, no excuses. No thanks is fine, but i seem to get some really wacky excuses :/

I swear, my dog really did bury it next to the Picasso, LOL (Sorry, I had to do it)

I know there is a comment box, but sometimes its easy to focus on the pin request itself, and ignore or not see the comment. If the only pin you have on their wants is no where close to same value, the recipient may wrongly interpret it as a serious request, and not want to take the time to deal with people who either don't understand or are fishing. I wonder if the person saw no pin request, if they would be more willing to respond. Also, it would allow for contact in those situations where you don't own a pin on their wants list.

The comment area is good and all that but since it does not specify which trader will see the comment if multiple traders have the pin you want for the pin you have, it is kind of hard to tailor the comment pre trade.

I used to prefer to have a "no thank you" response, but lately, I am preferring no response at all. I admit I get a bit frustrated when someone tells me "thanks, but I"ll have to pass" without telling me why they are declining my trade request. I spent years only trading with cast members, and only began trading with fellow traders online in the past year. As a result, I am still learning the value of all the different pins and I may untentionally propose a lopsided offer. If I could know why the reason for the declined trade request, I could then ask the trader how I might better my offer so that my trade request would be more likely to be accepted. :)

Actually, I do not like no responses! I sent out literally 85 trade assists last night and to this minute only 4 have replied and agreed only to a trade deep I'm their favor. 3 No thank you and 1 have to decline due to they think they have a scrapped.

It's getting to be a sad trading world where everyone is thinking "my pin is worth way more than yours" and want grails for pins I can buy on eBay for 1/4 of what they think their pin is worth in their minds.

I totally respect the no thank you but I'm concentrating on...........

I had one of these and they wanted a tinker bell pin. I relooked at my trade list and offered something and a trade was made.

If your holding onto your pins for a Grail you know you will never get, please step into the pin trading world and trade for pins to complete your wants. If your trading for pins to retire on, get real. A couple of true old collectors sold their collections of TRUE GRAILS that were bought and traded for over 10 years and only got .40 cents on the original retail not market value

It's a hobby. Not the stock market. Get out there and trade.

It's getting to be a sad trading world where everyone is thinking "my pin is worth way more than yours" and want grails for pins I can buy on eBay for 1/4 of what they think their pin is worth in their minds.

If your holding onto your pins for a Grail you know you will never get, please step into the pin trading world and trade for pins to complete your wants. If your trading for pins to retire on, get real. A couple of true old collectors sold their collections of TRUE GRAILS that were bought and traded for over 10 years and only got .40 cents on the original retail not market value

It's a hobby. Not the stock market. Get out there and trade.

I agree....there are some people that never ever ever want to trade (people I get a lot of no thank you responses) and much of the time the trades are in their favor because of how badly I want that pin. Maybe they just arent trading now or maybe they think their pins higher then others, idk. But why be active on a pin trading website if you never want to trade.

One thing I do think is rude though is like pm-ing people on dpf and not getting responses to those. TA's are mass emails but on here you took the time to look at each others trades and wants and sent a personal message to that person, the least you could get back is a no thank you.

I sent out a bajillion requests via the TA the other night. I mailed out 4 pins today, will mail 2 more tomorrow, had a couple of people who sent late responses for pins I had agreed to trade with others, & a few "no thanks". I can live with that, I guess. I know that I don't have other people's grails, but I love to trade & live too far from the parks. This is all I can do. I don't plan on retiring from my pins. This is my hobby. I wish more people wanted to play with me!

for me personally Id prefer a no thankyou response as that way I can narrow down how many other traders are willing to trade the pin etc as also enables me to remove the trader who said No from the TA's that will be sent out the next day as I know they have already said no.

I prefer the no response - like everyone said it gets my hopes up and its a waste of time to open an email message and read no thanks. TA sends out sooo many requests that it would be insane if everyone responded if the answer is no.

I used to prefer to have a "no thank you" response, but lately, I am preferring no response at all. I admit I get a bit frustrated when someone tells me "thanks, but I"ll have to pass" without telling me why they are declining my trade request. I spent years only trading with cast members, and only began trading with fellow traders online in the past year. As a result, I am still learning the value of all the different pins and I may untentionally propose a lopsided offer. If I could know why the reason for the declined trade request, I could then ask the trader how I might better my offer so that my trade request would be more likely to be accepted. :)

At the beginning, I used to tell people why I did not want to do the trade, until I had someone start e-mailing me back about it not being fair and that their trade was fair (I think it was an LE250 of mine for an older open edition of theirs) and why would I not accept it, yadda yadda. They did not understand that accepting/declining a trade is a person's opinion if the trade seems fair or not. There is no formula that says this pin is worth this pin, etc.

So now, I keep it short and simple. The only time I add a comment is when someone wants to give me a Hidden Mickey for like an LE250, then I point out I only trade HMs for other HMs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back