• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

Oooh! MY Turn! The "I spent too much money on pins, so look what I got" thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oooh! MY Turn! The "I spent too much money on pins, so look what I got" thread!

TheGrimGrinner

Mortals pay a token fee
DPF Charter Member
Rating - 95.3%
61   3   0
So, I lost the Alice lottery, then lost the real MegaMillions lottery, and was just downright feeling in the dumps. So, I decided to pick my head up, put on my lucky boxers, and head to WDI to see if I'd get anything there. Guess what? I won!! Woot! Was over all an exhilarating weekend/day. Met a ton of new/awesome people, and saw a lot of the "regs." Me, DisneyPins99, and WDWJuan all got together Friday night, and then met up with Leonilito32 in the VERY early morning before setting off. Me made our trek up to WDI/MoG and landed in the parking lot by 6:30. For those that followed the live trip report, there was obviously no one there. The next batch of people showed up at 6:55, and then there was a steady stream of new people until they opened up at 8am. Just before opening up, they handed out raffle tickets for some drawing s they'd be having. They finally let us in, and it was a mad dash to the table of frames they had piled up.

This release was mostly focused on the Haunted Mansion, and 2007 ID Badges. There were a few other pins thrown in there, like walk throughs, Jessica frames, and NBC. They will be releasing more and more frames like this on Saturday events, and the next release is Saturday, April 16th. They were mum as to what themes would be released next, but be aware, this is D23 day at WDI, so there will be a LOT more people. Last D23 day I was at, the line took 2-3 hours to get through. Oops, I digress.

So for the first 5 minutes, it was "grab whatever frame you can." People had stockpiles of frames in corners, and then would go through them and decide which ones they wanted. Frames gradually got returned to the table, and would quickly be snatched up by others. There was even trading of frames in the store before they were even purchased! :lol: I took a look around the store for some other items I've had had my eye on for awhile. Unfortunately, no more pin bags, and no back packs decent enough to haul pins around in.

Finally got to check out, traded for awhile outside (was able to check a few off my wants) and then headed down to Anaheim for some more fun in the sun. Anyhow, here's everything I was lucky enough to acquire that day.

I got this one from WDWJuan's pile. He was nice enough to hand it off to me as he knew that I really like the set.

Oh, by the way, I've seen some people asking about the detail on the frames. Look at these, they are GORGEOUS!

On one of my, maybe, 20 trips back to the table, I saw this had been returned by someone. I LOVE artwork in the Haunted Mansion (it's one of my big collections) so I had to grab it. Thankful it was just sitting there.

Saw these my first time through and had to grab them. I've always liked how big the pins were, and they did a great job framing them.

Close-ups:

Then saw this frame set. I've never even heard of it before, and I'm not an NBC collector so I can see why. Just thought the layout of the frame was so amazing, I couldn't pass it up.

Even as an "AP" marking in the corner.

3bb530ae.jpg

And finally, in my opinion, the biggest and best accomplishment of the day wasn't even a pin! I've been looking for something like this, and even though it was special order, they let me take the one they had sitting there!! Check out this beauty:

Well, that about sums up WDI, there were many more adventures that day, but that's another story... err stories. I'm so stoked about some of these, and so glad WDI decided to do them! I can't tell you how many frames I have in the works and just don't have the determination to get them done. So thanks to WDI for taking the initiative and doing it for me! lol

If you've never been to WDI before, I definitely recommend it. If you're in the area, find a D23 buddy and head on up April 16th! (Heck, even the $30 membership would make that trip worth it!) There's great trading on WDI Saturdays!

Thanks everyone :)

Last edited:
I am always so jealous that I don't live out there...lol

WOW on all of your frames. They are seriously NICE! I love the detail to them. Amazing. Congrats on all of them. :)

Just curious, where is this stuff coming from?
OK, so I see now... Next question - why don't they do anything like this in florida?

Last edited:
Thanks for the close-up photo. We're not HM fans, but the details were amazing. Why can't they do that for the pin sets they sell. Maybe a LE set of 135 and 35 are framed from Disney.com. Thanks again and until next time, we'll be tuned into the adventures of Grim >^..^<

What Alice frame sets did I miss?! :(

You guys must have been just a few people in front of me, but most of the frames were grabbed immediately. I only got the ghosts set because someone put it back!

Very jealous of the doombuggy set with the Alice pin! :)

OOPS! Sorry, with all the Alice hysteria, that name is stuck in my head. Jessica Frames!! That's what I meant. Will make the change now :)

Nice pins! The bat/skeleton frame was designed by Shag it premiered during the Shag HM 40th cocktail event on his paintings. Disneyland sold 2 different sizes of the frame for awhile.

WOW, in a way, you did win the lottery - the best one - the pin lotto!!!! Those are some fantastic, awesome frames. The detailing is so cool and the pins are so nice. Way to go:)

I'm pretty jealous of the character doombuggy set. I've only been to WDI once and that was the last D23 event you mentioned and that was at the graciousness of another trader. It was crazy, unfortunately living in Oregon now I don't know that I'll get to go again or at least not on a special event day. I do hope though that your thread will encourage others who made out like bandits with the pin frames will share their loot as well.

These are absolutely AWESOME, especially the skull and bat frames on the HM sets. Out of curiosity, what were some of these selling for, if you don't mind our asking?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back