• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

Packaging - Do you keep yours?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Packaging - Do you keep yours?

rickandcarmen

New DPF Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know that a lot of traders keep their pins in books. My husband and I do NOT. All of our pins are hanging on the walls in our home displayed in shadow boxes or boards.

I have a giant box in a closet completely full of backer cards, boxes, etc.

Should I keep them? At this point it would be difficult to match some of them back up to their original pins. Things from star wars, flower and garden, and featured artist boxes would be easier to match up, but those are pins that I doubt we would ever trade or sell.

Do you think the value or desire of the pin is effected by the original packaging (speaking of LE's only)

Personally I don't keep the cards for the pins that I plan on keeping, but the pins we know we are going to trade we keep on the cards and all wrapped up in a box. I have a few of the PODM cards cause they were signed along with the pin, and we do however keep most of the DSF cards and the boxes from box sets.
Me and my husband have shadow boxes for our top pins right now with plans of getting the rest of them out of the books and up on the walls soon.
As for the value, to us it dose not matter that much if the pin is on a card or not, but all collectors are different

I usually don't care if the pins I'm receiving come with cards & packaging, but since I know there are some traders who do care, I keep them all. If they're not in the book with the pin, like the ones on my display boards, I keep them in a box with a post-it note with the pin number and short description/title. I do this even for the ones I intend to keep and never trade, because you never know; my tastes might change or I might end up having to sell them or something.

I did a poll about this a few weeks back, it's about 50/50 some care and some only care about the pin. Just let them know and if they insist than go into the box

I don't really mind as long as the pin isn't all scratched up from not being in it's packaging.

I didn't keep mine for the small number of pins I bought, and most likely will not for pins I plan to keep in my collection.

I do plan on saving them for pins I buy only to trade, however.

I personally keep all my packaging/ backing cards. I prefer it, but I know sometimes traders like to have the cards....I know people are always looking for cards for their own collections and have even traded pins for them, or sold bundles on feebay so you could always do that if not, but personally I would keep them just encase...the dsf cards are lovely and can sometimes help when trading!

I keep all of my backer cards and boxes. I feel that if I decide to trade some of the pins in my collection, I wouldn't have as hard of a time trading them if they come with the cards or boxes. And, I like the ones with the different designs and patterns, so I keep them because I think they're cool. :lol:

I keep all my backing cards! It doesn't feel right to me taking the pins off. Like taking something that's "mint in box" out of its box!
Plus I've read that they tend to be more valued on cards!

I have all my backing cards, even for my booster sets. I keep them in a Laduree box on my vanity. I keep this just in case I want to trade and/or sell any of them in the future, I know that I personally prefer to buy pins on their original backing card when possible.

Take my collection for example. I am really only collecting marquees at the moment. I display them on a nice big board (without their backer cards). The ones with "special" DSF backs, (Walle, Ratatouille, Brave, Peter Pan etc...) I make sure I know where they are just because I like them. All the other ones who have generic DSF backs I still keep but I don't care if they get mixed up or if I put another pin on it.

When I was down in Florida for Mickeys Circus I got so many boxed sets. I did not end up trading every pin as a set. Therefore, I still have many Mickey Circus boxes that have no real use besides a little sentimental value because it was the first BIG event I went to. I keep miscellaneous pin accessories in them like backer cards, backs, etc.. because there is honestly nothing else to do with them and they look somewhat nice in there.

Don't keep them and don't care if they come with them or not. We have ours hanging on canvas and curtain rods. The pin is what is important to us and when I started with Marvel pins an age ago they never came on cards so that's what I'm used to.

I like to keep the cards...I don't really see why they would need to be tossed. Even if you put your pins on a lanyard or in a book...you can still take the cards and put them away in a box or something. PinPics has most of the pins' SKU numbers so you can easily go back and match a pin to its card if you had to. It helps with trading sometimes as certain people prefer pins on cards. Nothing annoys me more than when I ask if the pin comes on its card and than when I receive it its on a different card! Gr!

Honestly, I would keep the cards. I don't have a huge collection so maybe that's why I feel like you should keep them, because the cards don't take "that" much space up in my house, but as a person receiving the pins, even if I don't want to use the card, I like to have it in case someone else wants it and just so I know in case someone wants it, I can give it to them. Also, when I'm collecting a set, if all the pins I have so far come on card, even if I don't plan to keep the set on cards once I complete it, it is nice to have them all so getting one pin without a card, while still fine, irks me just a little ^_^

If they are becoming THAT much of a hassle to the point where you really don't know what to do with them, I'd only keep ones for your possible trades and keep old ones in case one day you need to put a pin on it that didn't originally belong on it just because :)

For my collection I take the pins off the cards but i keep the cards just in case I decide to trade or sell them later. I use the these stickers. I write the pinpics number and stick them on the back of the card so I can later match the card to the pin.

Backer cards are the bane of my existance....with over 3000 pins i never labeled them in the begining and now i kinda do and i have them all seperated and grouped and put in hat boxes and pin set boxes like Erikr (hey erik). i dont care if pins are on cards, some traders wont trade--but oh well.

Personally, we only keep the backers that are different or unique to the pin. We have our collection on a multitude of cork boards, and usually don't display them with the backers. We put them in a ziploc baggie, which then goes in the "pin bin" . . Lord help me when I get around to organizing it!

Traders however are a different story - we keep all packaging if possible and put them into the baseball card style pages, along with the pins. But once again, we usually only keep different or unique backers for them, or if they are LE/LR. I've also been known to cut up the larger pin set backers and place them in with their pins as well.

I keep the packaging just in case I need to sell the pin in the future for money or end up trading the pin. However, I don't care if the pin comes on its original card or not. As long as the pin is in good condition, I don't care about the card.

For me it does at some extra value to the item when it is on it's original card.
I therefor try not to get any pin that doesn't come on it's card.
Missed out on some great deals like that, but I know me, and I know I would just feel bad knowing there is a card for that pin and I got it without the card.

actually if you have the sku/item # on the backer card you can use pinpics to match it up to the correct pin

If you are a collector, absolutely keep them. They might not seem special right now, but you'll laugh 40 years from now when pins are $50.00 how you bought them for $10.95. If definitely affects the value and desirability of the pin for me.

By the way, i just zapped you (unofficially) all of the hidden mickey explorer pins. (finally)--so now you know who grapesoda is....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back