• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

Pin pecking order?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pin pecking order?
I think you are misinterpreting the concept. I'm saying it would be a user profile ranking, not an aggregated ranking of all users. People would be bucketing their own wants and trades lists. If someone bucketed all of their Hidden Mickey trades as a level 10 and all of their LE 100 wants as a 10 then that would just be a red flag that the person is looking for lopsided trades and people wouldn't bother with them.

Doing it at the user profile level takes into account people's personal preferences, not just value.

I am confused? I would not rate my collection. I would rate my wants and trades but my 10 is not your 10? I think the current way has improvement but using the boards and eBay for valueing what a pin goes for is fine for now. But being around for awhile, I know historical values and current values with hot/trends. So for a newbie, it may be a bit much? And a rating system may just blow their mind?

All of the above, ditto.

Regarding DPFers pinpics wants lists (and my wants list definitely needs some work), it's so fun to be able to send someone a pin off of their wants list when you play a game like Pin It Forward or Random Pin Swap or even a Zap. For those games, generally, people send others more standard pins.

And then there are LEs - I have seen some LEs on eBay go for $100s and some are much lower priced. It's supply and demand AND desireability (is that even a word?). You know what I mean.

I am confused? I would not rate my collection. I would rate my wants and trades but my 10 is not your 10? I think the current way has improvement but using the boards and eBay for valueing what a pin goes for is fine for now. But being around for awhile, I know historical values and current values with hot/trends. So for a newbie, it may be a bit much? And a rating system may just blow their mind?

Ok, you seem to be getting hung up on the term "rating system". Don't think of it that way. Think of it more like a bucketing system. Have you ever seen people's trade posts here where they will say "I'll trade any one of these for any one of these" or "I'll trade two of these for one of these", etc? It is like that. It has nothing to do with community percieved values or rankings. It is all the individual. So, I could to into someone's trades and quickly see how they "value" (not necessarily monitarily) a certain pin and then see if I have anything they want that they "value" the same.

It's all subjective and highly personal to each collector. Over the years i have purchased groups of items from cast members what have included pin of all sorts, from LE10, LE50, some from Disney Auctions, Imagineering, etc. I only collect Disney nametags and badges, so pins in general have no value to me and aren't worth my time. So any pins I happen to get I give away to pin collectors, who usually go insane for the things I consider worthless. But I see why they feel the way they do, because I go insane in the same way when I find something that falls in the niche I collect and obsess over.

Ok, you seem to be getting hung up on the term "rating system". Don't think of it that way. Think of it more like a bucketing system. Have you ever seen people's trade posts here where they will say "I'll trade any one of these for any one of these" or "I'll trade two of these for one of these", etc? It is like that. It has nothing to do with community percieved values or rankings. It is all the individual. So, I could to into someone's trades and quickly see how they "value" (not necessarily monitarily) a certain pin and then see if I have anything they want that they "value" the same.

I get what you're saying, anyway. I think of it like "Trading Tiers"...

For example, I have a lot of LE 100s on my Wants list. However, I don't want all of them on the same level. It has nothing to do with the PIN'S value...the pin could be a super nice, very desirable pin- I just don't like it as much as I do others on my Wants.

So if there were something like this:

1- Low
2- Medium
3- High
4- Very High
5- Highest

So I'd give my Holy Grails all "5", and on down the list, and you would do the same with your Trades, since no one knows better than you what you put into a pin, and what you would like for it. Like someone said, there are pins that are on my Wants that I couldn't even trade for- they're just there to remind me that I still would like them, or I just haven't gotten around to buying them. In this respect, there are a lot of LE 250s and 300s that would rank very low on my list, just because I'm not concerned about getting them.

It's all about how we *personally* evaluate our pins in our minds, and what we will and won't trade for a particularly pin. Realizing, of course, that we can all be flexible if a trade needs working on. :) After all, no system is perfect, so we'd all have to remember that in a system like this. But it does make a great way to evaluate someone's stuff, and better prepares you to make a trade offer to them. Great crib notes. :)

This is way more complicated than I thought. We have a working system so perhaps it's best to leave it as it is.

Good to see it's made people think about trading though. :)

This is way more complicated than I thought. We have a working system so perhaps it's best to leave it as it is.

Good to see it's made people think about trading though. :)

Well, it wouldn't be complicated to use, really...it's just a little hard to explain if someone doesn't infer it right away.

Regardless, we've all had dozens and dozens of ideas for Pinpics, and none have really gone through- they're either too busy, they don't agree with the changes, or they're too hard to implement, so I think you're safe with the current system. :) It was just talk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back