• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

Pin with purchase./Gift with Purchase...what do you think??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pin with purchase./Gift with Purchase...what do you think??

Stitch2814

#1 Kevin Fan
DPF Charter Member
Rating - 100%
163   0   0
So, I was in chat about a week ago and while discussing pins etc we got onto the topic of PWP/GWP pins.

While we were discussing the topic, a comment got stuck in my head which was this -

"PWP/GWP pins were free to begin with so should remain so down the line and if I wanted a a GWP/PWP pin Id tell the trader that and want it for free..."

(statement not exact but point is made)

Now Im not going to mention who said that as I dont think its fair to name names but its been stuck in my head as to how everyone else percieves these types of pins??

thoughts??

IMO, no matter how a person acquired a pin, it's still worth something while being traded. If that person was implying that just because you got something for free you should just give it away then I definitely disagree. If I got a free TV I wouldn't just pass it on, I'd keep it! lol Maybe that's just me though. You're not just being handed a pin for nothing, you are purchasing something to get the pin as a bonus, so they're not absolutely free or worthless. A pin should be traded for a pin; monetary value aside.

Thats what I said in the chat room to that comment as I used this example -

I purchased 4 cocktails at the PTN in Paris so with each cocktail you get a free pin, each drink cost 6 euro each or 2 for 10 when bought at same time, so I pointed out that even though the pin was free I still had to pay 5 euro for each pin so technically its not free so I wouldnt be giving it away if someone asked for it.

I dont think the person saw that side of it though/

Sorry, but that person have no idea What pin trading is then. A pin is a pin, it is worth something, and i am sorry, but There are GWP pins out There i will give a very decent pin for it because there are some great GWP pins other there. It is free but you had to buy something to get it. "there is no such a thing as a free lunch" I learned that in economics class.

Last edited:
Saying that it has no value is an absolutely extreme way to think of it. On the other extreme, I've heard people at DTD say that a GWP/PWP pin was worth $30 because that is how much they had to spend to get it. Both are absurd.

A pin's value, or anything else's value for that matter, is dictated by what people are willing to pay for it. If Google stock once sold for $1 does that mean it is worth $5 today? Or, if you bought pin 15343 for cost years ago would you be willing to sell it for that today? I doubt it.....

I find that people who think like this usually have a more impressive Wants list than Owns list. And, although I don't understand where the fun is in collecting like that, if they are content with that, that's fine, but they can't expect everyone else to give them hand outs just because that is the way they "think". And I say "think" in quotes because I'm sure they would "think" differently if they had pins on their trades lists that were in high demand...

Saying that it has no value is an absolutely extreme way to think of it. On the other extreme, I've heard people at DTD say that a GWP/PWP pin was worth $30 because that is how much they had to spend to get it. Both are absurd.

A pin's value, or anything else's value for that matter, is dictated by what people are willing to pay for it. If Google stock once sold for $1 does that mean it is worth $5 today? Or, if you bought pin 15343 for cost years ago would you be willing to sell it for that today? I doubt it.....

I find that people who think like this usually have a more impressive Wants list than Owns list. And, although I don't understand where the fun is in collecting like that, if they are content with that, that's fine, but they can't expect everyone else to give them hand outs just because that is the way they "think". And I say "think" in quotes because I'm sure they would "think" differently if they had pins on their trades lists that were in high demand...

True, true.

Well, let me just say that they won't get a free pin from me - unless I gift them a pin! Nothing in life is free!

I think a pin is a pin even if it was a GWP. Look at the UP Grape Soda pins...they are selling on the bay for upwards of $60. They were a GWP (I'm assuming since that's what a lot of the auctions say) and have a high demand which means their monetary value goes up.

I wouldn't expect someone to just give me a pin since they got it for free. I would want to trade them fairly.

So, I was in chat about a week ago and while discussing pins etc we got onto the topic of PWP/GWP pins.

While we were discussing the topic, a comment got stuck in my head which was this -

"PWP/GWP pins were free to begin with so should remain so down the line and if I wanted a a GWP/PWP pin Id tell the trader that and want it for free..."

(statement not exact but point is made)

Now Im not going to mention who said that as I dont think its fair to name names but its been stuck in my head as to how everyone else percieves these types of pins??

thoughts??

I think that person was just joking and playing around.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

On topic, I think there's 2 levels:

1 --- the GWP/PWP you get from WDW/DL for $1 each after spending $X or GWP when you attend an event, eat ice cream at DSF, etc. I see these pins as rather low in value, probably nothing more than about $5.

2 --- the tiered LE PWP from certain events (ie the Figment with the Fab 5 PWP from the event a few years ago). The mickey and figment was a high LE and awarded after a low value purchased. The final pin, stitch with figment, was a low LE and required a large purchase amount to get to it. I see these pins as reaching a potentially higher value.

I've not heard of free, but if people feel that way...I have a few PWP/GWP's that I'm looking for they could send my way. Mostly, I just consider them on the lower end of value. In the same classification as Hidden Mickey's mostly, and the travel company pins that you get for booking packages. And if you look at the number of people that have them for trade, there are usually high numbers of people trading them.

But honestly, I'm not sure how to value the dining pins, sometimes. They weren't available to all guests, the packaging is more elaborate on the Five Decades of Disney Dining ones. Ultimately, I guess I just look at the ratio of people trading them. If less than 10 people have one, than that one is going to have more value. If a lot of people have them, then less.

But going back to free, when a member was selling pins, I noticed she had a GWP map on her trades. When I asked about it, she said it was free to her, so free to me. I thought that was very nice and unexpected.

Last edited:
fair enough the person could of been joking but it didnt come across like that at all during the dicussion.

@Erica - I completely agree with you that a pin is worth as much as the person who is wanting it wants to trade or buy it. Like I said using the cocktail pin I got in DLRP, even though I paid 5euro per pin I dont think it holds that value if I tried to sell it and trading wise its not worth much either but I still wouldnt give it away for free, unless like other people have stated, Zap someone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back