• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

PinPics trading

Status
Not open for further replies.
PinPics trading

Matty

Active DPF Member
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Hey everyone. Sorry if this is up somewhere if it is fee free to delete or merg it. I have been trying to trade on pin pics. When you are trading do you base the value one want vs trade and if it is a LE pin? Are there any other factors you consider? I don't want to be that jerk offing lopsided trades.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm still new to this but the guidance I've been given is to look up the going prices via eBay or Google and decide if it's a fair trade. Even if PinPics matches up your Hidden Mickey pin to the LE pin you want, the trader is likely going to tell you to get lost. LOL

Hahahahaha

Seriously though:

1) What's the LE size?

2) Origin? WDI, DSF, DLR, WDW, or is it from an event, etc.

3) How badly do I want it? (AKA is it Lion King?)

I usually never use prices when I trade for a variety of reasons.

1) It's not fun... like at all... (It's pin trading, not pin selling)

2) It makes it much more of a business exchange, rather than a friendly hobby.

3) It makes you look like a bit of a snob.
Example A:

"My pin is valued more than yours by some guy who has an eBay account!" "Now let's eat fancy hors d'oeuvres, Reginald!"

I'm not saying everyone who judges their pins by some random guy on eBay is like that dumb fancy guy, because not everyone is fancy...

631b9dabf25738e50c46afe2d4d88ca2.gif

36ad7ab59c4025d8f8e72d545f4d43ef.jpg

Just my opinion though. :3

Hey everyone. Sorry if this is up somewhere if it is fee free to delete or merg it. I have been trying to trade on pin pics. When you are trading do you base the value one want vs trade and if it is a LE pin? Are there any other factors you consider? I don't want to be that jerk offing lopsided trades.

It takes a bit of practice, but to echo what has already been said, you're off to a good start if you can identify where the pin came from, how popular it is (the wants/trading ratio on PinPics is good for this), and what its general value is. You don't necessarily need to attach a specific price to it, though there are traders who will cite eBay prices (which usually doesn't put me off to trading with them unless they start haggling down to the exact dollar), but it's good to know whether you have an LE pin that's worth hundreds or something that's worth $20. Again, practice is key here. Eventually, you'll get the hang of it.

My #1 rule when trading on PinPics (or anywhere else) is to go with your gut. If the person won't verify the condition of their pin or haggles too much or you just get a weird feeling from the process, don't feel bad about politely withdrawing an offer. Other than that, have fun! :)

Seriously though:

1) What's the LE size?

Example A:

"My pin is valued more than yours by some guy who has an eBay account!" "Now let's eat fancy hors d'oeuvres, Reginald!"

I'm not saying everyone who judges their pins by some random guy on eBay is like that dumb fancy guy, because not everyone is fancy...

Man I need to find a way to make memes. You kill me on here.

What are your thoughts on if I want one that would be valued higher offering multiple lower valued pins?

For open edition/rack pins, I will look at the wants vs. trades. For instance, I wouldn't offer to trade my pin X, which has 27 people wanting it and 37 people trading it, for Mr. Person's pin ZZ, which has 233 people wanting it and 10 trading it. Also, don't be discouraged by people who don't respond, it seems to happen off and on through Pinpics.
On another note, what is your Pinpics ID? :)

Seriously though:

1) What's the LE size?

Example A:

I really like you Mark. When I use to say this, I was crucified. Glad we are getting traders that think like I do now.
Still have your snobs though, my pin is better than yours because it's worth $500. Really?!?! LOL

For open edition/rack pins, I will look at the wants vs. trades. For instance, I wouldn't offer to trade my pin X, which has 27 people wanting it and 37 people trading it, for Mr. Person's pin ZZ, which has 233 people wanting it and 10 trading it. Also, don't be discouraged by people who don't respond, it seems to happen off and on through Pinpics.
On another note, what is your Pinpics ID? :)

Same as on here.

Matty

I am pretty new so I don't have that many traders yet.

Seriously though:

1) What's the LE size?

Example A:

I love it!!

I'm going to voice what seems to be an unpopular opinion around here and say that I don't think there's anything wrong with having a rough idea of what a pin is selling for on the secondary market. (Note that I said what it's selling for, not what it's listed for. Big difference.) To me, it's just another point of comparison and one that can be useful if you don't have a ton of traders. If you're like me (very small pin budget, only a few traders at a time, no direct access to pins), you need every point of comparison you can get. I don't have a pin book I can flip through until I find a pin that matches LE size, origin, and ratio. And since I have so little money to spend on acquiring traders, I want to consider every possible way that pin can get me what I want. And yes, sometimes that means considering the price.

I've been trading for about four years now and I don't think I've ever had more than a dozen traders to my name. And yet I've acquired a pretty respectable collection through strategic trading and buying.

To be honest, the only snobs I've ever encountered are people who refuse to trade away older pins for anything that isn't even older. I'll never get some of the pins I want because I don't have access to a time machine. :lol:

Edit: Re-reading the last part of this, I sound super bitter.
lol.gif
I should clarify that in no way are people who want to trade their older, valuable pins for pins they want all snobs. I've just run into a select few who have a snobby attitude about it.

Last edited:
I'm going to voice what seems to be an unpopular opinion around here and say that I don't think there's anything wrong with having a rough idea of what a pin is selling for on the secondary market. (Note that I said what it's selling for, not what it's listed for. Big difference.) To me, it's just another point of comparison and one that can be useful if you don't have a ton of traders. If you're like me (very small pin budget, only a few traders at a time, no direct access to pins), you need every point of comparison you can get. I don't have a pin book I can flip through until I find a pin that matches LE size, origin, and ratio. And since I have so little money to spend on acquiring traders, I want to consider every possible way that pin can get me what I want. And yes, sometimes that means considering the price.

I've been trading for about four years now and I don't think I've ever had more than a dozen traders to my name. And yet I've acquired a pretty respectable collection through strategic trading and buying.

To be honest, the only snobs I've ever encountered are people who refuse to trade away older pins for anything that isn't even older. I'll never get some of the pins I want because I don't have access to a time machine. :lol:
5e50b1e37f1486dc627ecf2b1358ca1a.gif

I definitely agree, to some extent, that the fair market value, i.e. the price at which a willing seller will sell the pin to a willing buyer, of the pin is not the beginning and the ending of the inquiry, but there is some "value" to knowing if your pin is worth $100 and the potential trade pin is worth $10. But how to get that FMV? Is it on eBay, either current auctions or completed/sold auctions, some other site, what someone on DPF would sell the pin for to another member? It can be a very difficult process to determining that.

For me, that is simply one of a number factors, some tangible, some intangible, in determining whether a trade is relatively and subjectively fair. Certainly, as previously mentioned, the wants/trades ratio is a key factor to seeing how rare or hard to find a pin is, as well as the LE #. Some people look to original cost, which I do not think carries much weight if both pins are already sold out, then original cost is arguably irrelevant.

Overall, what I care most about, which was alluded to by AvatarAng, is how much you want the pin versus how much you want to retain the pin that you are trading? It isn't a quantifiable factor, but I think one that carries the most weight. I have given up a LE 300 with a great W/T ratio for a limited release pin before because I really wanted it, it was hard to find, and I was unable to trade/purchase it before.

In the end, I think it all depends on each person individually, what they are looking for in a trade, and how they define reasonable and fair. The only trades I like to do are ones in which both parties come away happy. After all, it's pin trading, it's a great hobby, and I wouldn't want to turn someone off from collecting or trading because they didn't come away from one of my trades feeling anything less than satisfied.

Hope this helps and happy trading!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back