• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

Pls help with identifying fakes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pls help with identifying fakes

cygnusx1

New DPF Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone!
I decided to take a chance and buy 3 pins second hand (turned out to be a big mistake because the ones they sent weren't even the same ones pictured) to complete a set and two of them just didn't seem right. After doing research, I have discovered how large a problem fakes seem to be, and it got me looking at the other ones that I have traded over the years. I some of the ones on my Lanyard were gifts from former cast members that are really good friends of ours and get us into the parks all of the time. I know that these are real because they were originally given to them personally from Disney. I've weeded out and destroyed several fakes. But there are 3 that I have questions about that I most likely traded for in the parks. Some maybe up to 10 years ago and I'm just not sure. I've been to the pinpics website and I'm just not sure about these. Is there anyone that can help if I post a picture? I do not want to contribute to the problem by taking them back to the park if they are fake. Also I have a 1 year old now, and I want to set a good example going forward, especially once she is old enough to remember.

Thanks.

First just upload the photo online somewhere so the photo has a URL. Places like Photobucket, Picasa, even uploading it to your Facebook works. Copy the photo URL and paste it here in between image tags. (
). Alternately, you can click on the little icon that looks like a framed picture of a tree above the text box here on the forum, and paste the URL there.

Ahh, I am a new member and it says I can't lost immages. The main 2 in question are two Dewey hidden mickey pins. One is #35556, the one where be is on a red T-shirt and the other is #41830. The numbers are from the pinpics site. All of the colors look right. But they are about half the thickness of my other Disney pins. Also on both, the back post gas a smaller one right next to it on the same metal piece, not separated like it seems to be on my other pins. But maybe the design was like this 10 years ago. I also may be too suspicious since these are faked do much.

Hmm.....unfortunately I'm not as familiar with that generation of Hidden Mickey pins.

Are there any noticeable dips in the enamel? If you hit your fingernail against the backs of them do they have a more metallic ting sound or more plastic-like? Do they feel lighter than they should?

Quality seems top notch. Only difference I can see is that they are a little thinner and the back post on the back that stops the pin from spinning. The colors were off on the fake one from the set that I received.

The other thing I was wondering is if some of the older ones have a gold back with only "Disney" copyright on the back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back